Early Candidates for Book of the Year 2003

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
Pete McCabe

Early Candidates for Book of the Year 2003

Postby Pete McCabe » February 17th, 2003, 11:34 am

It's just February, but I already see four strong candidates for Book of the Year.

In no particular order:

1) Magical Ways and Means of Al Baker
2) Book of Secrets by John Carney
3) The Magic of Robert-Houdin by Christian Fechtner
4) The Magicana section of the March Genii by David Ben.

What an incredible font of priceless touches for every classic trick in magic. Thank you David Ben for finally sharing this with us. I understand why you have kept some of this to yourself for 20 years!

Pete Biro

Re: Early Candidates for Book of the Year 2003

Postby Pete Biro » February 17th, 2003, 12:34 pm

My vote? No. 3 - Robert-Houdin. What a collection of incredible material.

Frankly, I would love to see a performer today work things with the props and class displayed in this work. :genii:

I guess the only one that comes to mind doing so could be Ricky Jay. :cool:
Stay tooned.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » February 17th, 2003, 12:35 pm

Perhaps "Book of the Century" ?? :confused:
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » February 22nd, 2003, 4:19 pm

I just received The Book of Secrets by John Carney and let me say that this is beautiful work. Although I have not read it in its entirety as of yet, The first few chapters are nevertheless wonderful and full of inspirational and clever thinking.

The book itself is beautifully put together and very appealing to the eye. This is one that I will most likely devour over and over again. Well worth the wait! Thank you Mr. Carney for this compelling contribution to this artform we call magic.

Roberto

Postby Guest » February 24th, 2003, 10:49 am

John Carneys Book of Secrets should take its place among books such as Our Magic, The Dia Vernon Book of Magic, and The Books of Wonder. Not only for the depth and breadth of the magic it contains, but for some of the most inspiring words ever written about the practice and performance of magic.

Too often we are told that perfection is the only goal worth striving for, without being aware that constantly holding ourselves up to such a light is detrimental to us as artists and humans. John makes the wonderful attainable point that what we should constantly strive for is not perfection, but improvement. Getting just a little better with each practice session. Learning just a little bit more about performing from your last show. Becoming better through many small steps, rather than jumping towards the final goal, falling short and losing the beautiful feelings that lead us to try in the first place. For that idea alone, The Book of Secrets deserves to be the book of the year.

But lets look at the magic. The first thing that I noticed was that these are not simple, one-off tricks. These are full routines, with a beginning, a middle and an end. These are performance pieces with thought and depth behind them. His Rising Cards is a perfect example. John takes many different ideas (including the DeKolta Card Fountain!), and combines them into a wonderful piece where the cards rise first while hidden, then visibly, then all the way from the deck to your hand, and finally all the cards rush out the glass in a spectacular finish that even I could turn into a serious round of applause. But theres so much more going on under the surface, and John takes the pains to explain why he has chosen the particular methods he has, what parts of one method cancel out parts of the other, where body language is absolutely critical, extra ideas that you may or may not wish to incorporate, etc., etc. In short, while providing you with an exceptionally solid piece of magic, he gives you the tools you need to delve even deeper into the rising cards, and perhaps come out the other side with something that is intrinsically YOU. Not Vernon. Not Bertram. Not Carney. But you.

The wait was nearly painful, but it made receiving the book that much sweeter. I wonder what Ill learn the second time I read it?

Zech Johnson

Brian Morton

Postby Brian Morton » February 25th, 2003, 5:08 pm

Just got the Book of Secrets today -- and all I can say is, "Wow."

(And "Dig that new book smell. Mmmmmmmmmm....")

brian :cool:

troublewit

Postby troublewit » February 25th, 2003, 5:47 pm

I ordered "Book of Secrets" The day it was announced. I know they are still "in the mailstream", and every day I call my wife from work and ask..."Any mail for me today....like, maybe...a book?" I know it will be worth the wait, and the anticipation when it finally arrives. In the meantime, there's always the Genii back issues...... :genii:
Christopher Klocek
337 N Wood St
Griffith, In 46319
219-765-7123
troublewit@aol.com

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » February 28th, 2003, 12:08 pm

Just completed a first-read of The Book of Secrets. Complete review is online at Little Egypt Magic along with other brief news and reviews. What a nice book!

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » February 28th, 2003, 12:42 pm

Originally posted by Steve Bryant:
Just completed a first-read of The Book of Secrets. Complete review is online at Little Egypt Magic along with other brief news and reviews. What a nice book!
Grr...still waiting for my copy to arrive...

Can we form a support group for those of us anxiously sitting by our mailboxes?

-Jim

Return to “General”