Best Way to Display Decks of Playing Cards

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
Eric Rose

Best Way to Display Decks of Playing Cards

Postby Eric Rose » March 6th, 2006, 4:56 pm

I would like to display some collectable decks of playing cards (most unopened - still shrinkwrapped) but I just can't decide the best way to do it. Has anyone found a great way to display decks? I've looked at shadow boxes, display cases, etc, but nothing has jumped out as the best answer yet.

Thanks,
Eric

Jonathan Townsend

Re: Best Way to Display Decks of Playing Cards

Postby Jonathan Townsend » March 6th, 2006, 6:42 pm

Who do you want to impress and where ( lighting and proximity) do you wish to make that impression?
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Kevin Connolly

Postby Kevin Connolly » March 6th, 2006, 8:39 pm

You may want to check out your local baseball card store or website. They usually carry plexi/plastic holders/boxes in various sizes. Also, do a search for playing card deck holders on the web of playing card collectors site. Just make sure they aren't made with PVC. I would guess the cost would be $2.00 or less. Much less for quantity. You could also look into those black museum boxes with the glass top and cotton buffer. They are very reasonable too.

I keep my Houdini singles in one inch thick lucite holders. You can drop them, handle them, etc. with no affect on the card. It's not much fun if you can't display or handle your rarity.

Good Luck,
Kevin
Please visit my website.
http://houdinihimself.com/
I buy,sell + trade Houdini, Hardeen items.

Eric Rose

Postby Eric Rose » March 6th, 2006, 11:23 pm

Kevin - thank you for your suggestions. I'll dig into them today.

Jonathan - I'm not trying to impress anyone. The displays are for my own enjoyment in my own office. Since I'm self-employed very few will know they are here and even fewer will ever see them.

Thanks again, Kevin.

Postby Guest » March 7th, 2006, 8:46 am

I scanned some of my more interesting cards and then printed them out on glossy paper and then arranged them artisticly in frames. These are all haninging in a hallway that I decorated with playing card motif wallpaper.
It is a nice way to show off my collection and add to my eclectic decor at the same time.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » March 7th, 2006, 10:04 am

Originally posted by Eric Rose:
...The displays are for my own enjoyment in my own office. Since I'm self-employed very few will know they are here and even fewer will ever see them...
Cool, I simply did not want to make suggestions which might put your prized possessions too close to grabby hands.

When I got to visit Neal Cee, He had some glass cases in his basements, illuminated both from within and by track lighting so he and visitors could walk around items.

Another idea extends the shadow box to a picture frame with an arm sticking out in the middle below center and mounting the items on the arms and illuminating by track light.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Jason England

Postby Jason England » March 7th, 2006, 3:42 pm

Eric,

As a collector of both singles and decks (see my website here: http://www.nls.physics.ucsb.edu/~nathanb/cards/ ), I've found that the most satisfying solution is usually the most difficult and expensive.

Have someone make a custom case for you. If you're into displaying decks, a nice wooden case with spaces cut out to drop poker-sized decks into would be nice. A hinged glass cover would enable you to hang the case on the wall of your office, yet open if needed or wanted to show and discuss your decks.

Think of the old wooden audio cassette tape holders, except with the slots for holding tapes turned into rectangular spaces to lay the deck in flat.

You could have a wood-worker match the wood and finish of the decor in your office or home, and you could easily rotate the decks in the collection as needed. Something 2'x3' would professionally display ~ 50 decks yet wouldn't take up much more wall space than a large painting or photograph. Also, as a deck is only about 3/4 of an inch thick, it wouldn't stick out from the wall much farther than a large framed painting or photograph either.

My guess is this is the type of thing you could either make yourself or farm out to a local wood-working or frame shop to make for you.

If you're into singles, I would suggest having them matted and framed, but use a matte and framing style that allows you to go in and rotate the items as needed or desired.

Jason

Kevin Connolly

Postby Kevin Connolly » March 7th, 2006, 4:54 pm

I like to place my singles in the one inch lucite holders. This way they will stand upright. You can arrange them any way you want. The best being, that you can almost hold the card in your hand. Price: $3.00 or less
Please visit my website.

http://houdinihimself.com/

I buy,sell + trade Houdini, Hardeen items.

Return to “General”