Magazine reviews

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
malbright

Magazine reviews

Postby malbright » November 11th, 2001, 9:51 pm

Richard, just curious why magazines rarely, if ever review each other's contents? You review books, videos and tricks, and it helps us ferret out the good from the poop. Why not publications? It would be interesting to hear your reviewers' opinions on the contents of other periodicals, especially the effects.

And while we're talking, why not review Internet sites?

Just a thought.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Magazine reviews

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 2nd, 2001, 7:35 pm

Hi Michael,
Well, on the Genii website we do have two pages of Jon Racherbaumer's reviews of magic-related websites.
I was doing a column called "Inside Magic ... Magazines" in Genii earlier this year. It was a hell of a lot of work. I missed it one month because we ran out of space, and then asked in Genii Speaks if anyone cared. Not a single letter came in, so that was the end of that.
Perhaps someone else out there wants to write the monthly column?
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

malbright

Postby malbright » December 2nd, 2001, 8:58 pm

Thanks for the pointing me in the right direction, Richard.

Not a single letter?? People should really give publications more respect!

Hrrumph.

Jeff Haas

Postby Jeff Haas » December 2nd, 2001, 10:29 pm

Michael,

I don't subscribe to one magazine to see a brief review of what's in other magazines...a couple of issues back. What's the point? Besides, magazines are inexpensive, so they're easy to try out.

Jeff

Postby Guest » December 3rd, 2001, 8:30 pm

I agree with Jeff here. I found Gennii's reviews of other magazines pretty much a waste of space. If there was a magazine there I was interested in, I was already getting it. Unless for some reason I couldn't, in which case the reviews did me no good. To make matters worse, by the time an edition was reviewed it was already a back issue.

Still, I think that magazine reviews are a good idea -- just not on an issue-by-issue basis. Perhaps a better plan would be an annual review of magazines -- or maybe one magazine reviewed each month or two. Rather than looking at specific articles, such a review would examine at the type of material covered, general quality of the publication, etc. That could help folks decide which as-yet-unsampled titles they'd like to try out, and would provide information more useful than "what you've already read or already missed."

Return to “General”