Dani DaOrtiz

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
Maigret
Favorite Magician: Tommy Wonder, Dani DaOrtiz, Lennard Green, Ben Earl and Aronson

Dani DaOrtiz

Postby Maigret » November 8th, 2022, 9:11 am

Set the video to "full screen" and speakers on.
Enjoy.
http://maigret.org/7Dani.html

katterfelt0
Favorite Magician: Depends on the day. Today, Rick Maue.

Re: Dani DaOrtiz

Postby katterfelt0 » November 8th, 2022, 10:36 am

Maigret wrote:Set the video to "full screen" and speakers on.
Enjoy.
http://maigret.org/7Dani.html

I've seen that video. Dani is amazing.
Effect and method are inextricably linked.

chetday
Favorite Magician: Jon Racherbaumer

Postby chetday » November 8th, 2022, 3:37 pm

Wow, just plain wow... cubed and cubed again.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 8th, 2022, 7:29 pm

His show at FISM was flabbergasting.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Paco Nagata
Favorite Magician: Juan Tamariz

Postby Paco Nagata » November 8th, 2022, 11:45 pm

You posted this in the right moment for me, Maigret!
Yesterday 8th (Spanish time) was my son's nineth birthday, and I didn't plan any card magic show for the party this time. Recently I've been in low spirits, but after watching DaOrtiz's show I cheered up and told myself "come on, do something..." and finally I performed something for the party... Now I'm glad for that!
"The Passion of an Amateur Card Magician"
https://bit.ly/2lXdO2O
"La pasion de un cartómago aficionado"
https://bit.ly/2kkjpjn

JHostler

Postby JHostler » November 9th, 2022, 6:55 am

Watching Dani evokes the same sense of astonishment that first piqued my interest in magic 46 years ago. IMO, our finest living magician.
"The gnomes' ambition is handicapped by laziness." Adapted from Charles Bukowski, and clearly evident at http://www.gnominal.com

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby MagicbyAlfred » November 9th, 2022, 7:46 am

JHostler wrote:Watching Dani evokes the same sense of astonishment that first piqued my interest in magic 46 years ago. IMO, our finest living magician.

Always interesting to see who magicians consider the best. For me, the three primary criteria are (1) a magician's skill; (2) his/her ability to entertain laymen; (3) and how popular and sought after the magician is by lay people (again not magicians). Applying these criteria, in my opinion, Bill Malone is in a class by himself and, hands down, is our finest living magician. This is why he has been and remains constantly busy, and has gotten paid top dollar by Fortune 500 companies and celebrities, among many other clients, for decades.

Tarotist
Favorite Magician: David Nixon

Postby Tarotist » November 9th, 2022, 1:01 pm

All the best magicians are dead and in fact I don't feel that well myself. I can't think of a single close up magician of the present time that I can get excited about. Not one. They either over present or don't present enough. And yet I can think of a ton of deceased close up magicians that I rate very highly. Here they are in no particular order:

1.Dai Vernon
2. Slydini
3.Albert Goshman
4. Don Alan
5. Fred Kaps (just about)

Actually I can't think of any more so I don't know a "ton" after all.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 9th, 2022, 1:27 pm

Mark, you have left off Juan Tamariz and Dani DaOrtiz, just to name two Spaniards who as performing magicians and thinkers are equal to anyone on your list.

I would also suggest that when Ron Wilson performed in the Close-Up Gallery at the Castle, he was as good as Goshman (who always did exactly the same act).

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » November 9th, 2022, 1:40 pm

Tarotist wrote:All the best magicians are dead and in fact I don't feel that well myself. I can't think of a single close up magician of the present time that I can get excited about. Not one...

Mark, haven't you overlooked at least one that you can get excited about?

Nev Blenk

Postby Nev Blenk » November 9th, 2022, 2:04 pm

Dani did more or less the same act at a recent convention in the north east of England (aswell as an equally entertaining lecture). I don't get to see many true artists live but seeing him under my nose just beating the crap out of all of us was pure joy.
We can all spot 'moves' or when something is being concealed or even engineered but with Dani there was zilch... nothing !!! I love being fooled.

Tarotist

Postby Tarotist » November 9th, 2022, 3:54 pm

MagicbyAlfred wrote:
Tarotist wrote:All the best magicians are dead and in fact I don't feel that well myself. I can't think of a single close up magician of the present time that I can get excited about. Not one...

Mark, haven't you overlooked at least one that you can get excited about?

Myself of course but even there I have seen too much of him.

Tarotist

Postby Tarotist » November 9th, 2022, 4:09 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:Mark, you have left off Juan Tamariz and Dani DaOrtiz, just to name two Spaniards who as performing magicians and thinkers are equal to anyone on your list.

I would also suggest that when Ron Wilson performed in the Close-Up Gallery at the Castle, he was as good as Goshman (who always did exactly the same act).

Actually, I have just decided to take Fred Kaps off my list. He was certainly brilliant as an all round magician but since I am talking close up only here, on reflection I only found him pretty average in that particular speciality. As for living magicians nowadays I refuse to comment on them since everyone has their own opinion and I am renowned for my tact and discretion. It doesn't mean that I think others are bad---in fact some of them are very good----however, I am referring to people I find exceptional rather than merely good.

As for magicians being good "thinkers" that doesn't particularly impress me although of course I welcome it. My criteria is in other areas.

Anyway, since I have taken Kaps off my list that leaves me room to replace him with David Roth. Oh, and while I am at it I think I will also include Harry Lorayne.

Tarotist

Postby Tarotist » November 9th, 2022, 4:28 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:Mark, you have left off Juan Tamariz and Dani DaOrtiz, just to name two Spaniards who as performing magicians and thinkers are equal to anyone on your list.

I was a bit puzzled about your comments concerning Ron Wilson because I remember seeing a video of him performing some years ago and I found it rather dreary. Of course my attention span and interest in watching magicians perform is a lot less than others. Still, I decided in fairness to check him out again just now to see what I was missing. I found this segment which was equally dreary. The magic was good but a performer needs more than that. Audiences do need to stay awake after all. I certainly don't think he was in Goshman's league. Anyway judge for yourselves:

https://www.magicana.com/video/ron-wilson-close-magic

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » November 9th, 2022, 7:50 pm

I don't have a list, but if I did, David Regal would be right near the very top.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 9th, 2022, 8:38 pm

What the hell does a video have to do with assessing someone as a live performer?

JHostler

Postby JHostler » November 9th, 2022, 9:34 pm

MagicbyAlfred wrote:
JHostler wrote:Watching Dani evokes the same sense of astonishment that first piqued my interest in magic 46 years ago. IMO, our finest living magician.

Always interesting to see who magicians consider the best. For me, the three primary criteria are (1) a magician's skill; (2) his/her ability to entertain laymen; (3) and how popular and sought after the magician is by lay people (again not magicians). Applying these criteria, in my opinion, Bill Malone is in a class by himself and, hands down, is our finest living magician. This is why he has been and remains constantly busy, and has gotten paid top dollar by Fortune 500 companies and celebrities, among many other clients, for decades.

I love the heck out of Bill Malone, too - certainly in my top 5 or 6. But Dani's borderline-supernatural timing, misdirection, and audience management... my gawd. Next next level stuff. YMMV, of course.
"The gnomes' ambition is handicapped by laziness." Adapted from Charles Bukowski, and clearly evident at http://www.gnominal.com

Tarotist

Postby Tarotist » November 9th, 2022, 9:48 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:What the hell does a video have to do with assessing someone as a live performer?

You are quite right but does that apply to Dani Ortiz too? I have actually seen him perform live and oddly enough the video here was far better!

Oh, and I have seen my favourite magician, David Nixon perform both on television and in a live performance. He was far better on television!

I am also thinking of a well known magician that I will not name. When he is on TV he is quite animated and lively. However, when he performs away from television he just mumbles away and it fades into mediocrity. Of course it works the other way round too. Paul Daniels was far better working live than he ever was on TV.

You have to see someone work in both scenarios to form a judgement. Unfortunately I have only seen Ron Wilson on two occasions on video.
And I found him dreary! Maybe he was less dreary live. What made him dreary was mainly his voice. Very monotonous and soporific without any change in tone. Maybe he sounded better live--I have no idea.

Here is another example. I heard a lot about Johnny Thompson's famous egg bag routine. I therefore watched it on video and found it hard going to keep awake. Very long winded indeed. Maybe if I had seen it live I would have thought differently.

The point is that I can only judge what I see.
Last edited by Tarotist on November 9th, 2022, 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 9th, 2022, 9:54 pm

Dani is better in person.
Goshman was better in person.
Slydini was better in person.
Ron Wilson was better in person.
Everyone is better in person. Except, perhaps, David Nixon.

Tarotist

Postby Tarotist » November 9th, 2022, 10:05 pm

I don't agree. I have given examples in my post above where people are NOT better in person! I remember seeing Fred Kaps live and he bored me stiff. In fact I used to call him Fred Kraps. However, it wasn't until I saw him work on television that I appreciated him better.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » November 10th, 2022, 12:49 am

Richard Kaufman wrote:What the hell does a video have to do with assessing someone as a live performer?

I concur.

I have had the pleasure of being the in-person volunteer for some of Senor Da Ortiz' magic and I have never been beaten so badly in my life. Video only begins to capture what it's like to have your reason pummeled into submission repeatedly by Dani. What a fabulous experience!

With respect to all, IMHO, close-up on video pales in comparison to the real thing. Not only does the proximity make it all more immediate, real and exciting, but it's the personal interaction that makes the magic special to me.

Tom Gilbert

Postby Tom Gilbert » November 10th, 2022, 7:53 am

Absolutely, magic and music both are so much better in person. Video, cd's, etc don't come close to a live performance.

Tarotist

Postby Tarotist » November 10th, 2022, 9:11 am

Sometimes video can help you focus better. In live performance there are distractions. And of course it is easier to escape when you watch a video. You don't have to sit through the whole thing. You can always turn the TV or video off when you have had enough.

Still, I will tell you my problem with Spanish performers like Dani Ortiz and Tamariz. They are far too animated and excitable for my gentle nature. Their personalities overshadow the trick. In fact I can't concentrate on the trick when they are acting in such a frenzied manner. A good window does not draw attention to itself. It just lets the light in.

I will concede that the Fool Us video under discussion is an excellent performance by Dani and the best I have seen him at work. However, I have also seen other videos and also other videos of both him and Tamariz where I felt they needed tranquilizers to calm them down. I don't like performers who are low energy and dreary but I don't like the other extreme either where there is too much energy. I want a happy medium. A charismatic personality but not too much of it.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 10th, 2022, 10:46 am

"Sometimes video can help you focus better."

YES, and that's exactly the problem.

Jeffrey Cowan
Favorite Magician: Bob Kohler & Tim Conover

Postby Jeffrey Cowan » November 10th, 2022, 1:26 pm

Mark omitted Del Ray from the list of 20th century great/master close-up magicians. [If you never got to see him in person, Mark, it's a shame. It was an incredible, jaw dropping experience. His rapport, humor, and methods were off the charts.]

And for what it's worth (and apologies to the head Genii for "quarreling" with him), I saw Goshman and Ron Wilson perform their close-up sets in the Castle many times in the late 80s and early 90s. Goshman always got an exponentially stronger reaction than Ron Wilson.
-- Jeffrey Cowan
www.cowan-law.com

Tarotist

Postby Tarotist » November 10th, 2022, 3:35 pm

I have seen videos of Del Ray. I thought he was quite good. However, that does not contradict my statement that I have not seen a LIVE magician I can get excited about.
Anyway, I came across another video of Ron Wilson doing a stage act this time and I think I have pinpointed the problem. Again it is his quiet dreary voice. If he had a different voice I might like him better.
As for Goshman I found the man an awful misery but there was no taking away he had a terrific close up act.

Tarotist

Postby Tarotist » November 10th, 2022, 3:36 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:"Sometimes video can help you focus better."

YES, and that's exactly the problem.

Why is that a problem?

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 10th, 2022, 4:05 pm

Because it is the enemy of live close-up magic.

Tarotist

Postby Tarotist » November 10th, 2022, 4:13 pm

If a live close up magician is so boring that you don't focus or if there are so many distractions that you don't pay attention how can it be an enemy of live close up? I have never seen Vernon, Slydini, or Don Alan live but I still managed to appreciate their work. The millions upon millions of laymen who have been sharing and commenting on my TicTok videos have never seen me live either but that hasn't stopped them appreciating it. It is nice to be seen live but it isn't always possible.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 10th, 2022, 5:19 pm

If you haven't seen someone work live, then you have NOT seen them work.

Tarotist

Postby Tarotist » November 10th, 2022, 5:41 pm

In that case should I revise my high opinion of Slydini's work? And Vernon's work? And Potassy's work? I never say ANY of them live! Come to think of it I am now racking my brains to remember if I ever saw a magician live that I liked. I suppose there must have been one or two. I just can't remember them offhand. I do know that I am bored stiff by watching 90% of magicians perform whether live or on TV/ video. I definitely think I paid slightly more attention if they were recorded. I do know one thing. Unlike most magicians I detest watching lectures. They REALLY bore me stiff!

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 10th, 2022, 8:49 pm

I can tell you from personal experience with both Slydini and Vernon, that if you did not see them live you have no idea how good they really were. How much more charismatic and engaging in person than when flattened by the dead eye of TV.

Tarotist

Postby Tarotist » November 10th, 2022, 11:03 pm

Oh, I met Vernon once although he did not perform. He was VERY charismatic! Come to think of it Slydini was also in my illustrious presence once although I didn't speak to him. I got the impression he was a big fan of his own work.

I have seen many magicians who impressed me on television. I wasn't able to see them live but that didn't stop me from admiring them. The reality of the matter is that whether we like it not we are not going to see every great magician live and TV or video is the next best thing. For example I was awestruck when I first saw Cardini on television. Furthermore I once saw Al Koran do some card magic live. He was FAR better on television! I suspect the reason for this is that people put more effort into their work when they know it is going to be seen by millions.

I still say that sometimes television or video can sometimes bring out the best in people. I can think of a few local performers who are absolutely dreadful but when they go on that Penn and Teller show they shine at their best. I am sure that they go back to their usual mediocrity when they get home and perform live but for the moment they are on TV they shine like diamonds.

BarryAllen
Favorite Magician: Joe Riding & Chan Cansta.

Postby BarryAllen » November 11th, 2022, 8:06 am

I hardly ever watch television nowadays - so I wouldn't have a clue who the current 'names' even are in Magic. How anyone can watch utter dross, such as 'Britain's Got Talent', is beyond me - but each to their own.

As for Penn & Teller - listen to Graham Jolley's Podcast - and you'll get an idea of what a complete carve up that show is. Why does the taller one always have to shout so much and be so loud?

I would imagine that when you see a performer live, the experience will usually be better. That said, in the case of one of my heroes, Chan Canasta, he was superb on TV but often apparently flopped on stage, in a live theatre.

I saw Al Goshman live - absolutely superb act and a unuque presentation of material. His video tape was very good as well.

What is definitely the case (in my experience anyway) is that a performers' material shared from the written word, cannot be fully appreciated until you've seen it performed live.

Rovi, the Welsh Wizard, springs instantly to mind. For anyone who has the Lewis Ganson authored 'Rovi Revealed' booklet (Supreme Magic 1980) they may have read the content and not been overly enthusiastic - despite there being a lot of creativity within (Rovi had his own control, pass, top change, use of a thick card and an envelope card, etc.). However, in 1981 at Stratford Theatre (East London) I witnessed him entertain an audience of around 400 people, from the stage, with this very material. I should add that this was before 'big screens' were the fashion. It was a lesson in pure showmanship. 2 packs of cards and 2 volunteers, sat at a small card table.

Sorry to contribute to a thread when I honestly haven't got the first idea who Dani DaOrtiz even is. As Mark alludes to above though, if he's anything like Tamariz, I'm not overly concerned that I've missed him. I just can't abide all that unnecessary shouting and overacting, so at least it has saved me from a headache.

Tarotist

Postby Tarotist » November 11th, 2022, 9:05 am

BarryAllen wrote:Sorry to contribute to a thread when I honestly haven't got the first idea who Dani DaOrtiz even is. As Mark alludes to above though, if he's anything like Tamariz, I'm not overly concerned that I've missed him. I just can't abide all that unnecessary shouting and overacting, so at least it has saved me from a headache.

There is a video of him in the first post of this thread. You can watch him there and he goes over very well there. Best I have seen of him in fact. Other videos of him are not in the same league though. He is not as excitable as Tamariz but still somewhat frenzied. Maybe it is a Spanish characteristic. It reminds me of all the young Spanish students who used to invade Dublin in the summer and probably still do. The Irish are a quieter more subdued race of people and the locals used to get irritated with all the noisy young Spaniards who invaded the city. I still remember one Irish journalist defending them saying they were a breath of fresh air and Irish people shouldn't "be upset because of a few Spanish students talking in loud voices in MacDonalds!"

I first realised how famous Tamariz was in Spain when I was demonstrating the svengali deck in Dublin and a horde of Spanish students saw me and started yelling "Tamariz! Tamariz!" I suspect they are just a noisy race of people! No wonder we British had to deal with their Armada, probably to get a bit of peace and quiet!"

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » November 11th, 2022, 9:14 am

National pride over one's magicians or other celebrities is understandable from the standpoint of psychology and the egocentricity of human beings. It's very much like sports, where people identify with their team and players and gain a vicarious boost, resulting in a "We're better than you" attitude. But magic is not a competition, or at least it shouldn't be, in my opinion.

A wise magician told me many years ago, that the way to entertain a magician is simply to fool him. Typically, they will sit stone-faced at the wittiest patter and presentation, doggedly looking for the "moves." But fool them, with even just a single move or ploy, and they will gush like star-struck school girls, using words like "killed," "slayed," "destroyed" (and similar expressions that would otherwise be apropos only in war movies, shoot-em-up crime flicks, or pest control) to describe the impact the fooler had on the foolees.

This thread provides a perfect illustration of both of the above-described phenomena.

Tom Frame
Favorite Magician: Del Ray

Postby Tom Frame » November 11th, 2022, 10:24 am

Jeffrey Cowan wrote:Mark omitted Del Ray from the list of 20th century great/master close-up magicians. [If you never got to see him in person, Mark, it's a shame. It was an incredible, jaw dropping experience. His rapport, humor, and methods were off the charts.]

And for what it's worth (and apologies to the head Genii for "quarreling" with him), I saw Goshman and Ron Wilson perform their close-up sets in the Castle many times in the late 80s and early 90s. Goshman always got an exponentially stronger reaction than Ron Wilson.

Jeffrey,

I agree. In the 70's, I sat at the table with Del several times and each time, he induced an astonishing altered state of consciousness that I rarely savor without psychedelic assistance. His preternatural sleight of hand and innovative electronics were amazing. But his daunting chops didn't create the magic. His personality and his engagement of the participants (not spectators!) created the mysterium tremendum.

In my few, precious conversations with Del, I learned that if you're an amiable, engaging performer, you can direct (not misdirect) your participant's focus, primarily through eye contact. If you can direct a participant to look you in the eye for one second, you can produce a hedgehog from a card case.

I saw Goshman perform twice. I knew what he was going to do and I knew how he was going to do it, but that didn't matter. I surrendered to his personality and was seduced, entranced and amazed. I wanted to take him home and usher him into the shower while I washed his clothes.

I saw Slydini once. Instead of being likeable, improvisational and adaptable like the aforementioned chaps, he was rigid. Before his performance began, he spent 10 minutes demanding changes to seating arrangements, lighting, etc. Then he began his scripted, mechanized, mannered performance.

He didn't interact with his participant as a person. She was a mere object, from which he forcefully sought to extract praise. He didn't engage her, apart from reciting his script. He was a cranky automaton, seemingly eager to complete the sterile, clockwork machinations as soon as possible.

Dani amazes due to his personality and ostensible spontaneity, not his impressive chops.

BarryAllen
Favorite Magician: Joe Riding & Chan Cansta.

Postby BarryAllen » November 11th, 2022, 11:23 am

Tarotist wrote:There is a video of him in the first post of this thread.

'shouldn't be upset because of a few Spanish students talking in loud voices'.

I started watching the video and to be completely honest, around 3 minutes, my mind just started to think about putting the kettle on for a cup of tea.

I clicked off - the tea won. There was nothing whatsoever that made me want to endure any more of Señor DaOrtiz. I'm not averse to dealing tricks - it's what cards are for - but what I watched there, well to be brutally honest, it was boredom personified (in my opinion).

However, if I had been watching Harry Lorayne with a pack of cards.......the tea wouldn't have stood a chance.

As for noisy Spaniards - compared to Italians, they are Trappist monks! I am absolutely convinced that Italians cannot EVER just talk quietly to each other. It always sounds as if every conversation is about to kick off into a fist fight.

Maybe the hot climate makes people this way. Most other Europeans are impeccably behaved and well-mannered.

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » November 11th, 2022, 11:43 am

Tom Frame Wrote:

"In the 70's, I sat at the table with Del several times and each time, he induced an astonishing altered state of consciousness that I rarely savor without psychedelic assistance. His preternatural sleight of hand and innovative electronics were amazing. But his daunting chops didn't create the magic. His personality and his engagement of the participants (not spectators!) created the mysterium tremendum.

In my few, precious conversations with Del, I learned that if you're an amiable, engaging performer, you can direct (not misdirect) your participant's focus, primarily through eye contact. If you can direct a participant to look you in the eye for one second, you can produce a hedgehog from a card case."

Here is the master at work, brimming with charisma, perfect choice of material for a lay audience, keeping them engaged, laughing, clapping, emotionally hooked, and enraptured at all times. Never a dull moment. And super strong, commercial magic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuqtfEaNqpw

Tom Frame
Favorite Magician: Del Ray

Postby Tom Frame » November 11th, 2022, 12:53 pm

Alfred,

Thanks for sharing the video.

John Moehring's Del Ray America's Foremost is required reading. The handsome tome includes a video featuring Del's incredible close-up and stage performances.

Return to “General”