Have you ever experienced the "Yips" performing magic?

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
erdnasephile

Have you ever experienced the "Yips" performing magic?

Postby erdnasephile » August 5th, 2021, 7:54 am

The world witnessed what happened to Simone Biles this week, where she abruptly lost her spatial abilities. The "twisties" left her unable to perform complex motor skills she had performed with ease thousands of times before. Other than a few seemingly ignorant pundits, most experts believe that this loss is more than simply "being nervous" or "mentally weak". The science behind this phenomenon is interesting: ( https://www.livescience.com/simone-bile ... sties.html and https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... eir-faces/ ).

We've also seen somewhat related conditions in sports such as golf and baseball that require great hand-eye coordination. For example:
https://www.golfdigest.com/story/what-a ... -your-head https://www.mlb.com/news/the-yips-diffi ... c-47124896 and https://www.mlb.com/news/players-who-had-the-yips

I'm curious: Do the "yips" occur in performing magicians? Have you ever personally experienced them? If so, how did you overcome them?

Brad Henderson

Re: Have you ever experienced the "Yips" performing magic?

Postby Brad Henderson » August 5th, 2021, 9:48 am

Yes. Maybe about 15 years ago. Went though a period where just all my timing was off. Everything was close, but not right. Spoke with Klause about it. He used the term yip and I never forgot it.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 5th, 2021, 12:01 pm

Yeah, same here. And boy can you feel your connection with the audience waver.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

chetday
Favorite Magician: Jon Racherbaumer

Postby chetday » August 5th, 2021, 12:10 pm

I got the yips one night back in the 80's in New Orleans while doing walk-arounds in a Mexican restaurant. The yips nailed me at a table of two very receptive couples. After they responded so wonderfully to my first trick, I choked like crazy and blew the next trick something awful.

The only other time I had the same thing happen was when I proposed to my late wife back in 1971 and started stuttering. Happily, she didn't mind.

PressureFan
Favorite Magician: Brian Gillis

Postby PressureFan » August 5th, 2021, 1:16 pm

I’ve had the yips one in a while over the years, usually with something knacky. The one-handed knot from Will Rogers Rope Tricks is one. I never do a show without it.

I can nail the knot even when my brain is telling me I better not miss, or under adverse conditions. But when I get the yips, it’s like I don’t consciously know it, but my body knows it.

chetday, I miss your smiling avatar.

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » August 5th, 2021, 1:39 pm

Yep!

Vernon's Symphony of the Rings has been in my repertoire for over forty years. About ten years ago for a period of six months I couldn't get the unlinking of the last three right. I'd go over it at home and it would be fine but in the show, I'd get confused - always the last three.

Sometimes it's good to drop a routine for a while. Just be sure to make notes and video yourself with all the moves and gags in case you forget anything.

When Tommy Cooper died Paul Daniels bought some of his scripts. He was amazed to find handwritten notes pointing out various pauses, looks, raised eyebrows etc. Really important to keep notes of those details.

PapaG

Postby PapaG » August 6th, 2021, 10:31 am

Q. Kumber wrote:When Tommy Cooper died Paul Daniels bought some of his scripts. He was amazed to find handwritten notes pointing out various pauses, looks, raised eyebrows etc. Really important to keep notes of those details.

That’s really fascinating. To think that something that looked so effortless, natural and unrehearsed — the epitome of under-rehearsed in fact — was scripted all the way down to that sort of detail.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 6th, 2021, 12:13 pm

Same with Bob Read.

Leo Garet
Favorite Magician: Nobody In Particular

Postby Leo Garet » August 6th, 2021, 12:31 pm

I've never really had this bother, although once in a while I sort-of lose my place with the Cut & Restored rope. I've been doing it since forever. I started out with "The Boy's Book Of Magic," and string long before I encountered "magicians" rope.

It only happens once in a while and sneaks up on me when I'm not looking. It's always around the same point and (so far) I've always recovered. When I try to work out why it should be, my head starts to ache.

Tarotist
Favorite Magician: David Nixon

Postby Tarotist » August 6th, 2021, 12:47 pm

Ironically the reason this happens is because the magician knows the trick too well. You can know a trick like the back of your hand and oddly enough this can work against you on occasion. The problem is inattention. You know the trick so well that you go on automatic a little and are not paying attention. You may well be thinking of something else while performing, perhaps even the audience itself, and when you get to the crucial bit you have lost track and panic slightly which makes the situation worse.

This has luckily never happened to me. I have died a death on many occasions but never because of the "yips". Only because of my incompetence. (or sometimes prevailing conditions). Anyway the solution to the "yips" is actually very simple. Just pay attention.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » August 7th, 2021, 5:57 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:Same with Bob Read.

I can still hear (and see) him saying, "Do you know how deep that is?"
And it makes me giggle whenever it happens.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 7th, 2021, 10:32 pm

I know that swimming pool!

Leo Garet
Favorite Magician: Nobody In Particular

Postby Leo Garet » August 8th, 2021, 9:58 am

Richard Kaufman wrote:I know that swimming pool!

Which hotel was it? And which floor?

:)

chetday
Favorite Magician: Jon Racherbaumer

Postby chetday » August 8th, 2021, 3:11 pm

Due to popular demand from PressureFan, I've uploaded a new avatar of my smiling mug. I hope it doesn't give anyone a case of the yips. :)

PressureFan
Favorite Magician: Brian Gillis

Postby PressureFan » August 8th, 2021, 3:51 pm

There he is!

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » July 26th, 2023, 6:18 pm

Came across this relevant article today: https://www.nytimes.com/2023/07/26/spor ... n=Trending
(I realize that this article may be behind a paywall, but I think NYT lets you read a few free articles per month if you set up a free account.)

For those who can't see the article, I think the most interesting part is that for many, the solution is not practicing more, but rather dealing with the problem openly and honestly and being supported by empathetic people (who may have also suffered the same thing themselves).

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby MagicbyAlfred » July 27th, 2023, 12:19 pm

The term yips is said to have been popularized by Tommy Armour—a golf champion and later golf teacher—to explain the difficulties that led him to abandon tournament play. In describing the yips, golfers have used terms such as twitches, staggers, jitters and jerks.

"The yips are involuntary wrist spasms that occur most commonly when golfers are trying to putt. However, the yips also can affect people who play other sports — such as cricket, darts and baseball [AND MAGIC].

It was once thought that the yips were always associated with performance anxiety. However, it now appears that some people have the yips due to a neurological condition affecting specific muscles. This condition is known as focal dystonia.

Changing the way you perform the affected task might help you find relief from the yips. For example, a right-handed golfer might try putting left-handed."
https://www.beaconhealthsystem.org/libr ... 20dystonia.

Thankfully, I've managed to avoid them for about 7 decades.

magicam

Postby magicam » July 27th, 2023, 1:03 pm

^^^ Thanks for that definition. Interesting. One of those words I've heard often enough in sports commentating and discussion, but don't really use. If asked to define it, my best guess would have been a situation where the player's performance abilities have dropped due to a lack of self-confidence, often due to the pressure of the moment, or game -- that is, primarily a mental issue.

I know of at least one right-handed professional basketball player, who is not a bad shooter but has had major issues when shooting free throws (which are some of the easiest shots you have in a game). He's ended up shooting free throws with his left hand, and is making a much higher percentage of them now.

Return to “General”