searching this issue of abracadabra

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
MarcillaAitor
Favorite Magician: Robert Houdin

searching this issue of abracadabra

Postby MarcillaAitor » May 2nd, 2021, 8:33 am

hi is abracadabra in pdf? im searching thi item_:

Abracadabra " vol. 12, No. 309, p 358 (29th December 1951).

marcillaaitor@gmail.com
thank you

Joe Mckay
Favorite Magician: Lubor Fiedler

Re: searching this issue of abracadabra

Postby Joe Mckay » May 2nd, 2021, 11:14 am

I have sent you an email.

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » May 2nd, 2021, 5:01 pm

It is a great pity that Abra was never made available in pdf. The rights are owned by the Davenport family.

I first subscribed to it in early 1970. A couple of years later after Albert Le Bas passed away, I bought a large box of earlier issues. What a treasure trove that was. Oddly enough, rarely did the tricks interest me, but the historical articles, the reviews of shows and books, the controversies in the Letters pages all provided a depth of knowledge of my craft.

I was regularly astonished at the memory of Peter Warlock who would regularly write in to point out that some trick recently published in Abra had its original in The Jinx. Years later I realised that he was weaned on The Jinx, just as I was weaned on Abra. By the time I left school, aged 18, I was subscribing to Abra, The Magigram, Genii, New Tops, S.O.B.jr and Crandall's Comments. Ask me about magic back then and I can probably answer it off the top of my head. Ask me about the last twenty years and I probably won't know what you are talking about. :-)

It saddens me that today so many magicians have practically no depth in their chosen craft and no interest in remedying it either.

Funny story. The British Magical Society, based in Birmingham had a special convention in 1989. They were lucky as John Fisher was making the Best Of Magic TV series so there were many overseas stars booked to appear and the BMS was able to use many of them. The night before the convention started I was sitting in the lobby with Eugene Burger, John Calvert, Tommy Wonder plus others. I was the only person no one had ever heard of. When I am in such company I shut up and listen. There was a discussion between Tommy Wonder and someone else about apparatus dove tricks which led to Tommy asking about the origins of catching doves in a net. It met with no response so I piped in, "It was invented by Cyril Yettmah in 1906. He did it with budgies and took the trick to The Great Lafayette who wanted to do it with eagles. They compromised on doves."
A few jaws dropped and I had the good sense to shut up and not mention that I had just read it a few days prior in an old magazine.

Joe Mckay
Favorite Magician: Lubor Fiedler

Postby Joe Mckay » May 2nd, 2021, 6:21 pm

Abra is available online over at Ask Alexander.

Brad Jeffers

Postby Brad Jeffers » May 3rd, 2021, 12:56 am

Leo Garet
Favorite Magician: Nobody In Particular

Postby Leo Garet » May 3rd, 2021, 10:14 am

And I see the price is more or less what it was back in ancient times.

:)

MarcillaAitor
Favorite Magician: Robert Houdin

Postby MarcillaAitor » May 3rd, 2021, 7:40 pm

thank you friends

Return to “General”