Interview with David Regal

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
Joe Mckay
Favorite Magician: Lubor Fiedler

Interview with David Regal

Postby Joe Mckay » January 13th, 2021, 10:14 am

Here is a new interview with David Regal.

He is one of the most creative people in the history of magic.

It is always a joy listening to him talk about magic - there is nobody I enjoy listening to more than David.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEJHou3MTEQ

I.M. Magician
Favorite Magician: All of the very best!

Re: Interview with David Regal

Postby I.M. Magician » January 13th, 2021, 12:33 pm

I agree Joe! I am also a big fan of his.

His style and clever creations are a pleasure!!

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » January 13th, 2021, 5:00 pm

Wow. This was fantastic. Supposedly an interview, it turned into one of the best magic lectures I have heard.

And David hooked me from the start. Where did that bunny go?

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby MagicbyAlfred » January 13th, 2021, 9:02 pm

David Regal is incredible! He is fresh, and creative to the max, as far away as can be imagined from what Eugene Burger called the generic magician." His (non-Vernon clone) Cups and Balls is phenomenal, as is his chop cup and other routines I've seen him do. I have enjoyed watching this interview immensely, so thanks for posting it. I was particularly intrigued with David's comments regarding the sponge bunnies (multiplying rabbits). Down through the years, I have tried to convince magician friends to give the bunnies a try. The typical response has been along the lines of, "Sure, sure, now let me show you my Twisting the Aces," or in some cases, they have looked at me disdainfully, as if to say, "Grow up, Alfred." Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) I have never heeded their advice.

After watching David's interview, I feel vindicated, as according to David, "Sponge Bunnies is one of the greatest close up tricks in all of magic." And the interviewer chimed in that Shawn Farquhar recently spoke of the bunnies even more glowingly. Ammar long ago pronounced it maybe the greatest close up trick of all time, or words to that effect. Of course, opining as to what constitutes the greatest anything is entirely subjective. But I knew it was a winner years ago when, after I performed it for the host at an event (a sophisticated Palm Beach millionaire) and the guests at his table, he chased me down and implored me to "Please perform the bunnies at all the tables." Anyway, here's some obscure magician who clearly needs to grow up, attempting to perform the trick:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVjLHcz9w1w

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » January 14th, 2021, 12:21 am

That was a gift.

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » January 14th, 2021, 12:18 pm

A wonderful interview with David with much platinum information.

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » January 15th, 2021, 8:43 am

IMHO, David Regal hit upon an important point (among many) in the interview. And that is the quandary that can (and often does) arise when a magician starts off a trick saying, ”Pick a card,” “Take a card,” or similar. As David points out, they are likely to say "I've seen that one." And, truthfully, if they don't say it, in many cases they are likely to be thinking it. Why would we want to put ourselves at such a disadvantage with spectators by starting off on the wrong foot? They don't know that the particular trick will end with a mind-boggling revelation.

The truth is once they hear “pick a card,” or “take a card,” the chances are good that we’ve lost them before the trick has even started. And if that’s the case, then essentially all is lost. They pigeonhole the trick-to-be into the category of the dismally bad pick-a-card trick(s) shown to them by their Uncle Harold at family gatherings and/or the interminably boring trick(s) someone showed to them at some social event. It’s unfortunate that people generalize and make snap judgments, but they do.

Now, I’m not suggesting that all tricks where a card must be selected be abandoned, never to be seen or heard from again. Life without Triumph, for example, would be bleak indeed. There are many truly great card tricks requiring that a card be selected. But why not try changing it up? Perhaps disguising or repackaging the selection process and giving it a different look, so that their bias and prejudgment never has a chance to rear its ugly head. For example, “John, would you please cut the deck [magician gestures with a cutting motion]. Great, now please complete the cut. Wow, a pro gambler in Las Vegas couldn’t have done it better! That was so good, I’d like to watch you do it again." (John cuts and completes the cut again). Magician turns his or her head away, slides the top card off and hands it to the spectator (or another spectator) saying, “This is a card of mystery, because there is no way you – or even I -- could have any idea which card it is. Well, there is a way that you could know. Take a look at it, show it to the others, but it’s important that the identity of that card remain a mystery to me. But I would like everyone to memorize the identity of that card." (magician’s head is turned away). Then magician proceeds with a control of some sort.

As another example, we could start by saying, “Mary, I would like you to just THINK of any card in the deck. Do you have one?” When they say yes, say, “Great! Now, If you would like, you may change your mind and think of another card, or you could just stick with the card you are thinking of.” Then, we could hand them the deck and say, I would like you to please remove the card you are thinking of, without letting me see what it is, and hand me the rest of the cards face down.” Holding the deck face-down in full view, magician says, “That card is going to perform for us tonight. Please show it to the others, and I would like everyone to memorize the card, so you will recognize it if you see it again.” Magician proceeds with a control.

These are just a couple suggestions of ways to change up the selection process so that it neither looks like nor sounds like “Pick a card” or “Take a card.” This is just some food for thought and what happens to work for me. Using one’s creativity, many more ways could be conjured up.

One afterthought in regard to when it is necessary to force a card -- and I realize I could be shunned and banished from the magical community for life - possibly even whipped, for saying this -- Although the classic force is considered sacred by many magicians, and superior to all other forces, to a spectator, it still comes across as pick a card. There are many fine forces. Annemann compiled 202 of them, and there are even more still.

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » January 15th, 2021, 9:18 am

When I got back into magic after many years, I made a decision that I would do no pick-a-card tricks. And for years afterwards, I stuck with that decision, favoring packet tricks. David is right, if you start with the deadly wording, you may have already lost them, so don't start with the deadly wording, start with a presentation where the audience wants you to have a card selected. My latest favorite is, "Hello, last year I went down to the crossroads at midnight and sold my soul to the Devil--would you like to see what he taught me in return?"

Alternate: "Before I start, I have a confession to make. I was running out of the house trying to get here on time and I forgot something, something that every magician needs--I forgot my rabbit. So the show will be very short unless--does anyone here have a deck of cards? Okay, I've got one. Do you know that trick where you take a card and then later it turns into a rabbit? Would you like to see that? I'll have to improvise since I forgot my rabbit, but let's see what happens."

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » January 15th, 2021, 11:14 am

Bob Farmer wrote: My latest favorite is, "Hello, last year I went down to the crossroads at midnight and sold my soul to the Devil--would you like to see what he taught me in return?"

Is this where you break out your guitar and start into "Terraplane Blues"?

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » January 15th, 2021, 12:06 pm

Bill Mullins wrote:
Bob Farmer wrote: My latest favorite is, "Hello, last year I went down to the crossroads at midnight and sold my soul to the Devil--would you like to see what he taught me in return?"

Is this where you break out your guitar and start into "Terraplane Blues"?

Or even "Crossroads" (a/k/a "Crossroad Blues") by Robert Johnson, popularized by Eric Clapton and Cream.

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » January 15th, 2021, 12:41 pm

PS There's even a line in Crossroads: "Asked the Lord above, have mercy now, save poor Bob if you please."

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » January 15th, 2021, 3:19 pm

"Crossroads" is too obvious. That's why I went with "Terraplane Blues" (which was Robert Johnson's first single).

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » January 15th, 2021, 5:05 pm

You guys are too cool. I liked it a lot better when blues, magic, guitars and amps all shared the same demi-monde secrecy--when you knew only a small group "knew"--now, you can buy a Marshall beer fridge and see some idiot on Youtube demonstrating and Elmsley Count. But we digress from the topic!

Back to David's interview: okay, so Youtube is good for some things.

Return to “General”