"Modern Wonder" Penguin download

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
Joneseymagic

"Modern Wonder" Penguin download

Postby Joneseymagic » December 16th, 2020, 3:34 pm

This has become available. I wonder what people think?

By implication, anyone who performs this material using Tommy's methods and presentations isn't a 'modern magician"!

Sounds ridiculous to me - or am I being unkind?

https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/14452

Jack Shalom

Re: "Modern Wonder" Penguin download

Postby Jack Shalom » December 16th, 2020, 3:46 pm

I'd say not ridiculous. There's a pretty detailed description of each effect where one can decide for oneself if the various updates are suitable.
For example, there's a no-pocket version of an effect which may suit the clothing requirements of some.
The tone of the ad and video seem quite respectful to Tommy Wonder.

Joneseymagic

Postby Joneseymagic » December 16th, 2020, 4:06 pm

Jack Shalom wrote:I'd say not ridiculous. There's a pretty detailed description of each effect where one can decide for oneself if the various updates are suitable.
For example, there's a no-pocket version of an effect which may suit the clothing requirements of some.
The tone of the ad and video seem quite respectful to Tommy Wonder.

Don't misunderstand me - I'm sure that both performers are totally sincere in their admiration for Tommy, and I agree that, from the description of several of the effects, a few have indeed been 'modernised'.

However. many of the descriptions appear to be simply 'variations' rather than modernisations, and just duplicate Tommy's original effects from the books. They may even be superb variations of the existing material, but (with a few exceptions) neither the trailer or the description explain how they have been updated for the 'modern' performer.

I suppose I'm questioning the title really.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 16th, 2020, 7:05 pm

It's a product.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Return to “General”