How Do You Organize and Store Your Magic?

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

How Do You Organize and Store Your Magic?

Postby MagicbyAlfred » September 15th, 2020, 6:56 pm

Personally, I keep mine in an old lamp and just rub it and say "Open Seasame," when I'm ready to do a miracle. Well, I think I may have mixed my metaphors somewhere there. But aside from that, I recently received one of the greatest birthday gifts I have ever gotten. My girlfriend decided that it was finally time that I organized and stored my collection of tricks, props/apparatus, custom playing card collection and magic books, all in one place.

So, after over 6 decades of collecting and stashing stuff all over the place (dresser and nightstand drawers, tops of closets, under beds, and other places that should not be mentioned on a respectable Forum like this one), one day a truck pulled up to my house and two guys who looked like they've never seen the outside of a gym unloaded this. In a Herculean feat of strength, they brought it in and upstairs to my office, as my girlfriend looked on, beaming, wishing me a Happy 70th Birthday. She said, "Honey, you've paid your dues, you've earned this."
https://www.roomstogo.com/furniture/pro ... lsrc=aw.ds

This incredibly generous gift and thoughtful, loving gesture literally brought me to tears of joy, and I cannot describe the beauty of how this looks in person. It stands almost 6 feet tall, and has 6 huge drawers and 6 large, deep shelves. I now have the luxury of an entire drawer devoted just to my cups and balls and chop cup collection. I have been having more fun than anyone should be allowed to have finally organizing everything in this one magical place.

I would love to hear how you store and organize your magic, and/or what plans you might have for doing so in the future?

Jack Shalom

Re: How Do You Organize and Store Your Magic?

Postby Jack Shalom » September 15th, 2020, 9:30 pm

Wow. And it doubles as a Zig-Zag?

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » September 15th, 2020, 9:56 pm

Jack Shalom wrote:Wow. And it doubles as a Zig-Zag?

:lol:

Efendi Kwok

Postby Efendi Kwok » September 15th, 2020, 9:57 pm

MagicbyAlfred wrote:... wishing me a Happy 70th Birthday. She said, "Honey, you've paid your dues, you've earned this."
https://www.roomstogo.com/furniture/pro ... lsrc=aw.ds

Too bad it's blocked, thus I can't see the beauty

"The Amazon CloudFront distribution is configured to block access from your country."

Happy Birthday!

I only organize some coins that I have:

It's a 24 Grids Wooden Jewelry Storage Box, the grid size is just nice.

Been looking for something where I can see items quickly, and grab it quickly.

Hopefully it can hold for long, all those coins is at 4++ kg!! Once I start putting in, I realised I had too many :P
Too much browsing, too much reading, too much learning, yet NOT MUCH practice ! *sigh*

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » September 15th, 2020, 10:02 pm

Congrats, Alfred!

I store my props in a Sears Craftsman Tool Cabinet. I do have some bigger props on overflow shelves.
Books and DVD's are on shelves and organized in alphabetical order. I keep track of them with BookCat.

If I win the lottery one day, I'd love to have a room dedicated to a floor to ceiling library with those cool rolling ladders on rails. (Think "Beauty and the Beast")

Brad Jeffers

Postby Brad Jeffers » September 16th, 2020, 12:23 am

Efendi Kwok wrote:Too bad it's blocked, thus I can't see the beauty

Brad Jeffers

Postby Brad Jeffers » September 16th, 2020, 12:28 am

Efendi ...
Where did you get that Okito box with the dragon lid?
Pretty cool!

Efendi Kwok

Postby Efendi Kwok » September 16th, 2020, 3:23 am

Brad Jeffers wrote:
Efendi Kwok wrote:Too bad it's blocked, thus I can't see the beauty

Looks like the websites blocks me ... oh well
Too much browsing, too much reading, too much learning, yet NOT MUCH practice ! *sigh*

Efendi Kwok

Postby Efendi Kwok » September 16th, 2020, 3:26 am

Brad Jeffers wrote:Efendi ...
Where did you get that Okito box with the dragon lid?
Pretty cool!

I totally cannot recall from where I got the box, but it came in a set, with 4 coins + [

Very easy to bring into play, since it's dragon, and inside is .... everybody guessed it ... chinese coins :lol:

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » September 16th, 2020, 4:02 am

Efendi, thank you for your good wishes. That's a lovely collection of coins, and now you have given me a great idea for organizing my own coins. I enjoyed watching your excellent coin magic on the thread you posted recently.

Erdnasephile, thank you, as well. The Craftsman is a neat idea for storage/organization. I hope you get that winning lottery ticket one day so you will have that dream library.

Brad, thanks for embedding that image; I was actually going to ask you to do that, but you read my mind (light reading!).

Paco Nagata
Favorite Magician: Juan Tamariz

Postby Paco Nagata » September 16th, 2020, 8:16 am

After 6 decades of using magic props, Alfred, the only thing one may say is:

it was about time! ^_^!

Well, I guess you've never deserved something more than that, and you girlfriend hit the nail on the head.

Regarding me. It has been very easy for me to keep my magic props as I have been mainly only a card magician.
I used to use a simple cardboard box when I was a child to keep deck of cards, little gimmicks, handkerchiefs, and all the little props I got from the "magic boxes" I used to ask to "The Three Wise Men" (Spanish Santa).
When I became a man I changed the cardboard box for a little trunk made from wood I was given as a gift by a good friend. I still use it.
"The Passion of an Amateur Card Magician"
https://bit.ly/2lXdO2O
"La pasion de un cartómago aficionado"
https://bit.ly/2kkjpjn

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » September 16th, 2020, 9:23 am

Well, Paco, I don't know how much I deserve it, but, yes, she certainly did hit the nail on the head. What a fantastic trick she performed by making it appear out of nowhere (and I remember she had her sleeves rolled up that day!) The wooden trunk you received as a gift from your friend sounds like a very nice container for your cards. As primarily a card magician, your storage and organizational issues are minimal. A deck of cards is the ultimate example of packing flat and playing big, and I'm sure that is especially true in your magical hands...

Rob2100
Favorite Magician: Lance Burton

Postby Rob2100 » November 16th, 2020, 4:25 am

I really do need something to organize my magic stuff. I got several briefcases I picked up from thrift stores over the years but you're really just stacking things on things. I could use a complete room with shelves and dressers all over the place.

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » November 16th, 2020, 11:16 am

Hi Rob,

Check this out. You might find a cost-effective solution that meets or at least greatly alleviates your storage and organization needs without having to have a separate dedicated room:

For Props:

https://www.walmart.com/browse/home/dra ... gXEALw_wcB

For Books:

https://www.walmart.com/search/?query=b ... at_id=4044

Of course, budget and space permitting, you could look into a good-sized armoire or chest like the one I was fortunate to receive as a gift, that would hose both props and books.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 16th, 2020, 12:02 pm

I organize and store my magic in random piles around my office, but my books are nicely shelved.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » November 16th, 2020, 1:39 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:I organize and store my magic in random piles around my office...

An advantage to that is that it's probably more conducive to grabbing tricks and actually running through/practicing them from time to time, or maybe performing them for people who come into the office, when they might otherwise stay buried and out of sight.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 16th, 2020, 2:25 pm

As far as practice, I only need a deck of cards, a silk (for The Berg Knot), and that's all these days.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

AJM

Postby AJM » November 16th, 2020, 4:07 pm

New floor to ceiling bookcases are to be installed at AJM Towers in the very near future.

I just hope there is enough room for all them books...

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » November 16th, 2020, 5:58 pm

AJM wrote:New floor to ceiling bookcases are to be installed at AJM Towers in the very near future.

It's hard to imagine better art for the walls.

Return to “General”