Do magic dealers sell coin slides?

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
Joe Mckay
Favorite Magician: Lubor Fiedler

Do magic dealers sell coin slides?

Postby Joe Mckay » June 14th, 2020, 8:38 pm

A trick I am working on requires a coin slide to secretly load a matchbox.

Is this something you have to make up yourself? Or is it a prop you can buy from magic delaers?

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Re: Do magic dealers sell coin slides?

Postby MagicbyAlfred » June 14th, 2020, 9:18 pm

Joe, the coin slides typically are included with the old trick where a marked coin is found in a little cloth or vinyl bag sealed with a rubber band, which, in turn was inside a closed match box sealed with rubber bands, which in turn was inside a bigger match box sealed with rubber bands. It is essentially the the coin in nested brass or wooden boxes trick done with match boxes and a little bag. Check this out:
https://www.amazon.com/Loftus-LF-0560-E ... B001IWPVDK

The black object you can see in the photo is the coin slide that comes with the trick. I own several of this exact trick. I do not know of the slide being sold separately by anyone. I imagine one could make a coin slide out of scrap aluminum, as that is the material that the coin slide that comes with the trick appears to be made from. Good luck!

Joe Mckay

Postby Joe Mckay » June 14th, 2020, 9:28 pm

Thanks for that.

Cheers!

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 14th, 2020, 9:32 pm

Aluminum might be a little soft. Most of the older coin slides are made of tin.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » June 14th, 2020, 10:11 pm

Dave Powell makes several lovely ring and coin to boxes of various types. He made a ring slide for me as part of a custom job. He may have them already made for his existing stock.

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » June 14th, 2020, 10:19 pm

Richard is probably right about the tin instead of the aluminum - metallurgy is clearly not my thing. I better stick to quantum physics. Note that the slide in the photo on the site I sent the link to is face down in the photo, so you cannot see the slide itself. That little piece (sort of a hook) you can see protruding from the top back of the slide is, I believe, to hook the apparatus to your belt once everything is set up. But I always just have it in my pocket, so after I vanish the marked coin, I reach into my pocket, slip the coin into the slide, then bring out the nested match boxes etc.. That process takes two hands, however, in order to extricate the slide before bringing out the nested match boxes (with the little sealed bag holding the coin being inside the second match box).

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » June 14th, 2020, 10:37 pm

Isn't other a trick with a coin slide made out of fabric, in The New Modern Coin Magic. if the problem is getting in a box with rubber band around it (like the in Royal Magic matchbox trick) it would be a simple matter to prop the box open with something large that can be taken out as the box is removed from the pocket or wherever.

pro tip: there is.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » June 14th, 2020, 11:03 pm

What size coin do you want to slide?

Joe Mckay

Postby Joe Mckay » June 14th, 2020, 11:20 pm

I am working on a very good trick by Dan Harlan called Viking Funeral (from Volume 6 of Premium Blend).

I actually need a longer coin slide than the usual one (form what I can tell by watching the DVD).

Just a regular half dollar type size is what I am looking for.

Also - is it safe to store flash paper in the house? Or is it one of those things that you need to constantly keep an eye on? Or can you put it in a box and forget about it?

BoKo
Favorite Magician: ammar

Postby BoKo » June 14th, 2020, 11:54 pm

Joe Mckay

Postby Joe Mckay » June 15th, 2020, 12:12 am

That looks great. Thanks!

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » June 15th, 2020, 9:26 am

Joe Wrote: "Also - is it safe to store flash paper in the house? Or is it one of those things that you need to constantly keep an eye on? Or can you put it in a box and forget about it?"

WARNING
Flash paper is what is nowadays known as nitrocellulose. Normal cellulose is similar to cotton wool. To turn it into flash paper, some sort of nitrating agent, something rich in nitrogen, is used, such as nitric acid (HNO3) or something with a high nitrogen content, often nitroglycerin!

"Nitrocellulose (also known as cellulose nitrate, flash paper, flash cotton, guncotton, and flash string) is a highly flammable compound formed by nitrating cellulose through exposure to nitric acid, or to a mixture of nitric acid and another acid, usually either hydrochloric acid or sulfuric acid, or to another powerful nitrating agent. One of its first major uses was as guncotton, a replacement for gun powder as propellant in firearms. It was also used to replace gun powder as a low-order explosive in mining and other applications."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitrocellulose

"Nitrocellulose is a flammable solid and presents a moderate explosion hazard. In the dry state, exposure to heat or strong oxidizers poses an extreme fire hazard." https://sciencing.com/properties-nitroc ... 78853.html

I keep my flash paper in an envelope in the refrigerator where neither heat nor air can get to it. If you travel with it, even locally, you would be well-advised to keep it out of the heat.

Joe Mckay

Postby Joe Mckay » June 15th, 2020, 1:07 pm

Okay - thanks for that. I really like flash paper. But I also prefer props I can store and forget about. I will save buying it for when I absolutely need some for an upcoming performance.

Heartistry

Postby Heartistry » July 26th, 2020, 5:21 pm

Joe, two suggestions for slides. (1) Out of stock in most magic suppliers is (the late) Bill Deming’s classic “Signed Quarter to Yarn”. It comes with a balsa slide. I did hunt around and found one, it may have been at Daytona Magic. (2) Even better, for me anyway, because it’s aluminium and larger, is Cody Fisher’s ‘Perfect Ring Slide’ - aluminium with a felt lining to silence and also protect the coin/ring - or the coin slide that comes with his Impossible Box. https://www.codyfisher.com/product-page ... ring-slide. Hope this helps. 8-)
John M Green
www.JohnMGreen.net

Joe Mckay

Postby Joe Mckay » July 26th, 2020, 8:04 pm

Cheers!

Tom Stone

Postby Tom Stone » July 27th, 2020, 10:26 am

These are not coin slides. These are holdout gadgets for stealing coins from.

Joe, if you can find an old aluminium tube for fizzy (effervescent) tablets, you can cut off the bottom, and then flatten the tube with a piece of wood inside that's a tad thicker than a coin.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » July 27th, 2020, 1:38 pm

As Tom mentioned you can fold or reshape items which are about the right shape into what you want. There is crafting plastic material which goes molten in boiling water and then will stay soft until it cools to room temperature. The idea is you can reuse this material as you redesign your prop. One brand is "thermomorph". On the other hand, if you are already sure of the length and other features of the slide you seek, perhaps the folks at RFA Productions would be approachable.

Dave Le Fevre
Favorite Magician: Paul Megram

Postby Dave Le Fevre » July 28th, 2020, 3:03 am

Tom Stone wrote:if you can find an old aluminium tube for fizzy (effervescent) tablets, you can cut off the bottom, and then flatten the tube with a piece of wood inside that's a tad thicker than a coin
That is a brilliant idea

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » July 28th, 2020, 10:27 am

Hi, Joe:
Quick suggestion: once you figure out the exact dimensions of what you need, I wonder if you might be able to get it 3D printed? That could give you a very durable product that you could customize in whatever ways you wish.

Chris at Lybrary.com is an expert at this and might be worth reaching out to if you decide to go this route.

Good luck!

Return to “General”