How's Tricks?

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

How's Tricks?

Postby MagicbyAlfred » April 13th, 2020, 3:10 pm

Greetings distinguished Genii Forum Members and esteemed Brethren & Sistren! I hope everyone is well and keeping their spirits high. If you are like me, then you have found yourself with quite a bit more time than usual on your hands these days. Perhaps you are working on that certain trick, routine or move that you promised yourself you would eventually get around to, or polishing up an existing piece. Maybe you're taking advantage of the time to do some reading of those books that were gathering dust on the shelf. Or, perhaps you are doing some writing, organizing your collection or list of material, or watching magic videos. Whatever it may be, I would love to hear about how you are passing the magical time, as I know others would, as well.

As for me, I have been working on a routine with one (about 3-foot long) piece of cotton rope. I have about 10 short effects I am stringing together (no pun intended). Recently, I purchased a new wallet for card to wallet. It looks just like a normal-sized man's wallet that fits in the back trousers pocket and very nice-looking. It is made by TCC. I got the non-leather, all man-made-materials version. It has the obligatory zippered compartment, and I have been having fun practicing my palming and loading it. I have also worked out a new presentation for my card to wallet routine, and I am very happy with it. My girlfriend loved it, and trust me, she has seen a lot of magic. I am also going back and reviewing some of the many card tricks I had forgotten, learning a couple new ones (e.g showing a "poker hand" with cards made up of all backs which ultimately turns into a royal flush), and trying to improve my cups and balls routine. I am also trying to freshen up and improve my patter and presentation for some of my existing routines, with an eye toward involving the spectators more in the magic and making them the stars, and less focus on how clever I am.

How about you?

Zig Zagger
Favorite Magician: Aldo Colombini

Re: How's Tricks?

Postby Zig Zagger » April 15th, 2020, 5:15 pm

Whew, that's quite an impressive magic bucket list, Alfred!

I've spent the biggest part of my Easter holidays on magic affairs, too (and not as much on the house and garden as my wife would have wanted me to, I'm afraid). My main activities included reading some old magic magazines (Genii, Magic Manuscript, Magigram); plowing through David Regal's latest tome; watching the great Share Magic:Live event by Joshua Jay and Andi Gladwin; also watching three nights of the equally satisfying German MagicAtHome Streaming Festival; trying to get my coin roll rolling with big German silver coins; working to combine three favorite sandwich effects into a routine; sorting through some old magic files, translating some older tricks of mine into English and getting some writing and pictures done for my blog and for an upcoming article. Not to mention my meager attempt at a cups & balls routine with chocolate easter eggs... Hey, who needs holidays on the road and away from home anyway? 8-)
Tricks, tips, news, interviews, musings and fun stuff: Have a look at our English-German magic blog! http://www.zzzauber.com
Advancing the art in magic one post at a time (yeah, right!)

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » April 15th, 2020, 5:36 pm

I've been mainly writing and rehearsing. I'm halfway through writing a new book on stage magic, and scripting two shows. General rehearsals are part of the latter.

When that's done, I've got a bunch of short writing things, and two more books (but not magic based). And, I'm told, clearing out the eaves storage...

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » April 15th, 2020, 6:45 pm

Zig Zagger, sounds like your Easter Holidays were quite magical! You did everything but pull the Easter Bunny out of your hat. You may even have been working on that, as well, and might be holding out on us because you don't want anyone to steal the idea. But it is clear from your post that you have your priorities straight, although I suspect your wife might not agree with me. And you are right. Who needs holidays on the road and away from home anyway? Home is my favorite place to be, and I have more than enough books, tricks, videos, coins, decks of cards, etc. to entertain me, and my adoring audience -- of stuffed animals -- for time immemorial...

Ian, that's exciting that you are writing a book on stage magic. I have no doubt it will be a fabulous offering, especially considering the breadth of experience you have under your belt. As for the scripting, for me, that's the most fun part of working out a presentation for a trick or routine, be it close-up or stand-up.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 15th, 2020, 11:32 pm

I'm writing the third Larry Jennings book. Tough stuff!
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Leonard Hevia
Favorite Magician: Dai Vernon, Frank Garcia, Slydini, Houdini,

Postby Leonard Hevia » April 16th, 2020, 6:44 am

Geoff Latta's version of 3 Fly that uses four soft dollars from The Long Goodbye. The best ungimmicked version of this effect, or one of the best. Every move is motivated and the routine is suffused with his thinking. Two moves out of the Steve Draun Underground book, the Spooky Revelation and the Revolve lift. I collect double lifts. Earl Oakes was an amazing illustrator and magic was lucky he chose to draw in this field. Revisiting Slydini's magic, this was before the Bill Wisch lecture on Facebook. It's timeless and motivated by pure genius with natural props.

Reading Fair Tricks: The Magicians at the Columbian Exposition, Chicago 1893 by Jim Hagy and his wife Sage. My first impression was the entire scale, the enormous task of planning and building that event. Architects, artisans, designers, and engineers were brought in to bring it to life.

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » April 16th, 2020, 7:47 am

Richard Kaufman wrote:I'm writing the third Larry Jennings book. Tough stuff!

Undoubtedly, but for the most prolific magical writer, illustrator, and publisher of our time, nothing is "Impossible."

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » April 16th, 2020, 12:38 pm

Leonard Hevia wrote:Geoff Latta's version of 3 Fly that uses four soft dollars from The Long Goodbye. The best ungimmicked version of this effect, or one of the best. Every move is motivated and the routine is suffused with his thinking. Two moves out of the Steve Draun Underground book, the Spooky Revelation and the Revolve lift. I collect double lifts. Earl Oakes was an amazing illustrator and magic was lucky he chose to draw in this field. Revisiting Slydini's magic, this was before the Bill Wisch lecture on Facebook. It's timeless and motivated by pure genius with natural props.

Reading Fair Tricks: The Magicians at the Columbian Exposition, Chicago 1893 by Jim Hagy and his wife Sage. My first impression was the entire scale, the enormous task of planning and building that event. Architects, artisans, designers, and engineers were brought in to bring it to life.

That sounds great Leo! It sounds like you're not letting any grass grow under your magical feet. It's wonderful that you are helping to keep alive the magic of a very bright light (Geoff Latta).

That's fascinating that you collect double lifts. The double lift is a move that I have been working to refine for decades. I still experiment with different kinds to this day. For me what seems to work best is obtaining a break/get-ready. It's sure-fire. So, I have thought and experimented a lot as to how I can accomplish that by subtlety and misdirection, as so many magicians make it obvious when they do a get-ready. A layman will notice, and it will arouse suspicion and dilute the magic. Which DL(s) is/are your favorite?

Leonard Hevia

Postby Leonard Hevia » April 16th, 2020, 1:24 pm

MagicbyAlfred wrote:Which DL(s) is/are your favorite?

Lately I started doing the Dribble Double taught by Earl Nelson. You dribble the deck down into the other hand and with slight pressure near the end you can end up with just two cards. It's a bit knacky but if you've been handling a deck for 40 years, it's not hard. This particular double works great in an ambitious card routine when you're left with two cards. Then you can justify that dribble as the reason the card travels up.

The Daley Strike and the Leipzig doubles are still my default--but I do a run thru with the others like the Bob White double, and the Dingle/Krenzel/Nash faux push off.

magicfish

Postby magicfish » April 16th, 2020, 4:30 pm

Leonard Hevia wrote:
MagicbyAlfred wrote:Which DL(s) is/are your favorite?

Lately I started doing the Dribble Double taught by Earl Nelson. You dribble the deck down into the other hand and with slight pressure near the end you can end up with just two cards. It's a bit knacky but if you've been handling a deck for 40 years, it's not hard. This particular double works great in an ambitious card routine when you're left with two cards. Then you can justify that dribble as the reason the card travels up.

The Daley Strike and the Leipzig doubles are still my default--but I do a run thru with the others like the Bob White double, and the Dingle/Krenzel/Nash faux push off.

Is that what I've been doing?

https://youtu.be/bzhAYPQu2NE

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » April 16th, 2020, 6:23 pm

:ugeek: Looks good, magicfish!

Leonard Hevia

Postby Leonard Hevia » April 16th, 2020, 9:21 pm

MagicbyAlfred wrote::ugeek: Looks good, magicfish!

That's exactly the move. Well done MF!

Philippe Billot

Postby Philippe Billot » April 17th, 2020, 9:20 am

It reminds me The Snap Over Double Lift by Paul LePaul (1949)

chetday
Favorite Magician: Jon Racherbaumer

Postby chetday » April 17th, 2020, 3:13 pm

I'm working on finishing my fourth novel as well as a memoir about my life with my wife of 47 years, who passed away last Thanksgiving.

When I get clogged with one of the above, I either play a guitar, walk my little dog, continue to read my way through the complete works of Cormac McCarthy, and/or, always, feed my obsession with card magic.

Regarding magic, at the moment, I'm re-reading Richard's wonderful "The Berglas Effect." I've also spent a little time the past couple of weeks fiddling with some coin routines as a change of pace from the pasteboards. I hadn't opened Bobo's monumental tome since the middle 80's, and I'm finding some pretty cool stuff in there.

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » April 17th, 2020, 6:09 pm

chetday wrote:I'm working on finishing my fourth novel as well as a memoir about my life with my wife of 47 years, who passed away last Thanksgiving.

When I get clogged with one of the above, I either play a guitar, walk my little dog, continue to read my way through the complete works of Cormac McCarthy, and/or, always, feed my obsession with card magic.

Regarding magic, at the moment, I'm re-reading Richard's wonderful "The Berglas Effect." I've also spent a little time the past couple of weeks fiddling with some coin routines as a change of pace from the pasteboards. I hadn't opened Bobo's monumental tome since the middle 80's, and I'm finding some pretty cool stuff in there.

Holy guacamole! I cannot even comprehend what it must take to write a novel! I feel I've accomplished something when I write some patter for a trick. That is very touching, Chet, that you are writing a memoir about the life you and your wife had together for almost half a century; there must be some incredible memories. What a wonderful way to honor your wife and the priceless times and moments you shared.

Obsession with card magic? Boy can I relate to that. It got so bad I joined Pasteboards Anonymous.
I still do card tricks - just under a different name.

Paco Nagata
Favorite Magician: Juan Tamariz

Postby Paco Nagata » April 25th, 2020, 5:29 pm

Well, well, well...
I envy all of you, gentlemen!

I miss a lot when I could spend all my free time on myself, so to speak, card magic.
My son is 6 and he has been living 24h. per day at home the las 40 days and going on!
I can't concentrate on advance magic book readings because my son needs my attention every time. So, I have been performing these days some self-working, mathematic, popular card tricks for my wife and my son, besides some little and popular effects, specially for children like piece of papers, rubber bands, dices and some classic coin magic.
Apart from that I have been working out as well in spite of the confinement; I got a new job of surveillance to avoid becoming unemployed.
Now I got a "kind of" 2 weeks vacation, so I have more free time at least to show signs of life here.
I have been also playing the role of teacher of my son by means of the "On Line School".
I'm thinking about becoming an "amateur card magician teacher". I taught my son a couple of self-working card trick as the "Poker Player Picnic". Maybe he is too young but when he performed it for his mother, he did a good job! He didn't commit mistakes. So, he did his first card trick being a year younger than when I did.

I can't progess much myself on card magic by this time, but it seems that maybe I can drive a new good card magician...
"The Passion of an Amateur Card Magician"
https://bit.ly/2lXdO2O
"La pasion de un cartómago aficionado"
https://bit.ly/2kkjpjn

magicfish

Postby magicfish » April 27th, 2020, 10:13 pm

Very nice topic under the circumstances. I hope all of you are happy and healthy.

https://youtu.be/htQI69Ucb1s

magicfish

Postby magicfish » April 27th, 2020, 10:30 pm

magicfish wrote:Very nice topic under the circumstances. I hope all of you are happy and healthy.

https://youtu.be/htQI69Ucb1s

Sorry gents, I should specify that I always loved Stabbed in the Pack from Deck-Sterityand while Harry's description of the toss is wonderful, I always had trouble landing the card at midpoint or higher (which I think is more desirable). Anyway I made some personal modifications and Covid 19 isolation has me perfecting the toss.
Cheers fellas.

magicfish

Postby magicfish » May 26th, 2020, 10:26 pm

MagicbyAlfred

Postby MagicbyAlfred » May 27th, 2020, 11:53 am

Sweet! I am assuming that is your daughter, magicfish? (doing my favorite flourish, and one that is a real crowd pleaser - the flourish and undoubtedly, the little girl!)

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » May 27th, 2020, 1:04 pm

The Lost Luggage Show is ready for order. Find out more at www.virtualmagicshow.com

Eye thangoo :)

PapaG

Postby PapaG » May 27th, 2020, 1:31 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:I'm writing the third Larry Jennings book. Tough stuff!

So there is a silver lining to everything, even a deadly global pandemic.

magicfish

Postby magicfish » May 27th, 2020, 2:04 pm

MagicbyAlfred wrote:Sweet! I am assuming that is your daughter, magicfish? (doing my favorite flourish, and one that is a real crowd pleaser - the flourish and undoubtedly, the little girl!)

Yes, my daughter.
I taught her the One Way Back principle and the Key Card. This is her first flourish.
And that's a poker sized deck!

McKitterick

Postby McKitterick » May 28th, 2020, 11:53 am

magicfish wrote:
MagicbyAlfred wrote:Sweet! I am assuming that is your daughter, magicfish? (doing my favorite flourish, and one that is a real crowd pleaser - the flourish and undoubtedly, the little girl!)

Yes, my daughter.
I taught her the One Way Back principle and the Key Card. This is her first flourish.
And that's a poker sized deck!

Not that you asked but I don't think it's too early to get her started with memdeck work. :lol: :lol:
Anyways, I look forward to reading the cover story about her in the May 2040 issue of Genii!

Return to “General”