Discuss Steve Forte's Book "Gambling Sleight of Hand" HERE

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
Roger M.

Re: Discuss Steve Forte's Book "Gambling Sleight of Hand" HERE

Postby Roger M. » March 8th, 2020, 11:15 am

Always good to get alternative views Steve.
I guess it could be fairly stated that none of the Ace stunts have anything to do with gambling either ... but it's so obvious, why bother?

You seem to want to pick apart my post, a back and forth that I'm not interested in participating in.
The comment I made was specifically addressing posts having nothing at all to do with SF's book, it wasn't really intended to inspire a back and forth as to whether it was "correct" or not.
If I'd known you were this interested in parsing my comments with such vigor, I would have taken more time in crafting those comments (in an effort to preempt any "gotchas").

My post says what it says in addressing off-topic posts in this thread ... take it or leave it.

Leo Garet
Favorite Magician: Nobody In Particular

Postby Leo Garet » March 8th, 2020, 12:50 pm

Roger M. wrote:
Why don't we reserve this thread for folks who own, or have read the book ... and who are posting on specific contents of the book?
Yeah ... that's a better idea.

Don’t know about “better,” but it’s a thought. And here’s another…How do you, suggest such a thread be policed?

Not being contentious, merely wondering.

Leo Garet
Favorite Magician: Nobody In Particular

Postby Leo Garet » March 8th, 2020, 12:56 pm

Roger M. wrote:I'm not a magician and don't demonstrate card magic to other magicians. Rather I'm a gambling sleights hobbyist who enjoys the opportunity to occasionally entertain fellow gambling enthusiasts with a deck of cards or a pair of dice.

I am fully aware that this post is mostly off-topic, but I am genuinely interested in the stuff that you employ to entertain your friends.

Perhaps that (subject) is worth a thread of its own that everybody can engage with.

Roger M.

Postby Roger M. » March 8th, 2020, 2:07 pm

Leo Garet wrote:
Don’t know about “better,” but it’s a thought. And here’s another…How do you, suggest such a thread be policed?
Not being contentious, merely wondering.

II think if folks stay on-topic, the threads are pretty much self policing?

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » March 8th, 2020, 2:14 pm

I found the addition of the extra ‘bonus shuffle’ following the injog (or outjog) of the over Hand shuffle to be a nice touch. As a magician I have less concern over the break for the shuffle off, BUT being more aware of it I will now be sure to position my hands so the audience cannot see it. Super Easy in parlor. A little swing to the right for close up in some circumstances. A small touch, but a worthwhile one.

I’m also working on using the side jog and then going into a to the table triple cut following the square up. I find this flows nicely in my hands. Still working on consistently getting the side jog and not others as I shuffle.

Also working on the SRS for maintaining a large slug. I have a very practical use for this. I wish there had been a touch more detail on this section but feel I’m making progress via experimentation.

Skmayhew2

Postby Skmayhew2 » March 8th, 2020, 6:17 pm

Roger M. wrote:You seem to want to pick apart my post

No one was picking apart Roger’s post.

His post was used as a springboard to discuss an aspect of the book some might not be aware of - the fact that there are a bunch of really good card tricks included.

Along these lines, Forte’s comments on the center deal and whether or not it is used by gamblers are fascinating.

Roger M.

Postby Roger M. » March 8th, 2020, 7:28 pm

Steve, I misunderstood your post then. Apologies.

Skmayhew2

Postby Skmayhew2 » March 8th, 2020, 8:31 pm

Roger M. wrote:Steve, I misunderstood your post then. Apologies.

No worries.

webbmaster
Favorite Magician: richard Kaufmann

Postby webbmaster » April 5th, 2020, 6:35 pm

Does the book cover other props, such as dice (Steve does some great dice moves) or is it just cards. If this has been covered, I missed it.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 5th, 2020, 8:04 pm

Just cards.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Return to “General”