Re: Aspergers and Magic?

Postby Richard Kaufman » September 2nd, 2019, 10:50 am

Joe, you are blathering. Please stop.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Joe Mckay
Favorite Magician: Lubor Fiedler

Postby Joe Mckay » December 11th, 2019, 3:46 pm

It seems Albert Camus was actually the first to describe a character displaying what would later become known as Asperger's syndrome in his novel The Stranger (which was based on a friend of his).

You can read more about that here:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5903843/

One movie character I could always relate to was Billy Bob Thornton's character in The Man Who Wasn't There. I wonder if that is another character with aspie traits?

Joe Mckay

Postby Joe Mckay » January 13th, 2020, 1:50 pm

I have done some more research. I don't think I have Asperger's syndrome.

I was diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD). And I just assumed that in the past you had Autism & Asperger's syndrome as two separate categories. But now they have been combined into the same category.

That is only partly true. There are other categories also placed inside ASD. Each of these categories have features in common (eg trouble with social understanding and sensory issues) but are still distinct in certain ways.

The least understood category that is part of ASD is something called Pathological Demand Avoidance (PDA). I was diagnosed with ASD but I think PDA (which is a sub-category of ASD) is the "flavour" of autism I have.

Somebody with classic autism might struggle with social understanding due to a low IQ.

Somebody with Asperger's syndrome might struggle with the same thing due to a lack of cognitive empathy.

Whereas somebody with PDA will struggle with social understanding due to a pathological need to rebel against all social norms and conventions imposed on them by society. Each and every demand placed on them causes anxiety in their brain which causes them to rebel against the social norm they are expected to abide by.

Science is only interested in labelling behaviours. It is not so interested in the reason behind them. In the same way that physics is only interested in predicting the outcome of an experiment rather than understanding why.

Behaviourly Autism, Asperger's and PDA have similar outcomes but for very different reasons.

This guy has PDA (which remember is part of the Autistic Spectrum).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gqjbMSY4JA

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » January 13th, 2020, 6:01 pm

If you think of ASD as a colour wheel, rather than a linear spectrum, you'll find it much easier to understand.

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » January 13th, 2020, 7:25 pm

Thanks for that that Ian. Color wheels stress me out so much!

; )

Jack Shalom

Postby Jack Shalom » January 13th, 2020, 8:56 pm

This guy has PDA (which remember is part of the Autistic Spectrum).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gqjbMSY4JA

When a substantial number of people want to tear down the system, it might do well to ask what label to put on that system rather than the label of those who question it.

Joe Mckay

Postby Joe Mckay » January 14th, 2020, 1:41 pm

Yeah - I guess I am aspie. But I seem to have some of this PDA stuff as well. Very confusing.

Anyway - sorry for the non-magic post!

Joe Mckay

Postby Joe Mckay » September 6th, 2020, 3:40 am

All my old friends - who have all dumped me - keep telling me what a terrible person I was in the past (pre-diagnosis).

I find that a bit unsettling. But I don't mind cos they are all pretty dull people.

Happily for me - I feel I have always bought my best self to the magic community. It seems that whenever I discuss my favourite thing (magic), it helps me bring out my best self.

Anyway - it is pretty funny. I remember reading about Richard K upsetting people in the past (before he got his diagnosis).

And now I am in the same boat! lol :-)

People are so sensitive. I will literally never understand that. It is like asking somebody who has no sense of smell, What does coffee smell like?

Jack Shalom

Postby Jack Shalom » September 6th, 2020, 4:29 am

How many people have you murdered lately, Joe, despite feeling murderously angry?

I suspect zero, although almost everyone gets murderously angry at times.

I have a feeling there are many, many social norms you do not rebel against. It's a nonsense designation.

Joe Mckay

Postby Joe Mckay » September 6th, 2020, 4:37 am

Apparently people are born with a "sixth sense" when it comes to readin body lanaguage and sensing the emotions of others.

People with Asperger's syndrome don't have this mysterious sixth sense.

So - it is not a case of being aware of these feelings and then ignoring them.

It is about not having them in the first place.

As such - the parallel with murdering people does not work since I already know - on a logical and emotional level - that this is wrong. It is not something I can blunder into by mistake.

That is my serious response to what you wrote. I am not sure if your response was meant to be humorous (I have been awake for 30 hours). So - apologies if I misread the tone! :-)

I.M. Magician
Favorite Magician: All of the very best!

Postby I.M. Magician » September 6th, 2020, 11:32 am

Hey Joe:

I just wanted to point out that during the pandemic, stress, frustration, anger, and other undesirable feelings are magnified. I think it is safe to say that it happens to everyone to some degree so please keep that in mind.

Sometimes, it is beneficial to step outside of yourself and take a look in to see what is taking place and perhaps deal with it in an attempt to calm down and feel better.

May I ask your age? I am curious to know that so I can get a perspective on how long you have been dealing with your issues.

No matter how down you get, always remember to do your best to shake it off and try to distract yourself from the mess using, for example, magic. Dive into practicing a trick or two so you can enjoy yourself rather than dwelling on what troubles you.

Nothing is perfect but a heightened awareness can be very helpful.

Joe Mckay

Postby Joe Mckay » September 6th, 2020, 12:57 pm

Cheers for that. Yeah - I have been oveethinking things during the pandemic. And that was on the back of lot of stress over the past 18 months.

Also - I am 38 years old. My Dad thinks I am having an early mid-life crisis. lol

Brad Jeffers

Postby Brad Jeffers » September 7th, 2020, 12:14 pm

Joe Mckay wrote: I seem to have some of this PDA stuff as well.

PDA - a small handheld device equipped with a microprocessor that is used especially for storing and organizing personal information ... personal digital assistant

Public display of affection

Patent ductus arteriosus (PDA) is a condition in which the ductus arteriosus does not close.

Parenteral Drug Association ... Connecting People, Science and Regulation

Private Directors Association ... Creating value through board excellence

Professional Development Activities ... Business majors need 12 Professional Development Activities (PDAs) to graduate.

Kent Gunn wrote:I detest obscure acronyms.

Joe Mckay

Postby Joe Mckay » September 7th, 2020, 3:07 pm

Return to “General”