Youtube LINKING Performances & Exposés

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
Jonathan Townsend

Re: Youtube LINKING Performances & Exposés

Postby Jonathan Townsend » March 25th, 2019, 1:15 pm

If (not sure about this) they have an algorithm to link video content - then we can ask that they not include "tutorial" and "reveal" to "performance" videos.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Steve Mills

Postby Steve Mills » March 25th, 2019, 4:04 pm

Mahdi Gilbert wrote:My name is Mahdi. Not Mahadi.

Also, it seems from the discussion that no one understands or is interested in what I wrote about.

Almost every single response is completely irrelevant to what's happening with the Youtube algorithm.

It is just a good reminder for me to give up on trying to have intelligent discussions on anything of importance.

Probably not a bad idea. Keeps the stomach acid down.

Peter Ross
Favorite Magician: Doug Henning

Postby Peter Ross » March 25th, 2019, 5:49 pm

Mahdi Gilbert wrote:it seems from the discussion that no one understands or is interested in what I wrote about.

Almost every single response is completely irrelevant to what's happening with the Youtube algorithm.

With all due respect to your crusade to change YouTube’s algorithm, I still do not understand the fundamental reasoning for doing so, in terms of the ill-effects that these reveal/tutorial videos have on spectators and/or magicians.

With the exception of autoplaying videos (which is a scourge regardless of content), these so-called reveal videos are available to people to click on by choice.

And if they do click on the videos? According to RK, the worst effect is, “lay folks do not really process the information and usually don't understand it (they often misunderstand it).“

This is what we are supposed to be "protecting" the lay public from?

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 25th, 2019, 6:55 pm

Your comments, Mahdi, are a little high-handed. You can have an intelligent discussion here, but we don't necessarily have to agree with you that YouTube's algorithms are something that we can do anything about.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Anthony Vinson

Postby Anthony Vinson » March 25th, 2019, 7:08 pm

I dunno, Mahdi. This thread is already at two pages, so there's certainly interest. And if almost every single response is irrelevant to what's happening with the YouTube algorithm, that's probably because, as has been pointed out by some, there's nothing we can do about it. Nothing. Of the 7.5 or so billion people on the planet, how many are magicians? Proportionately few, I imagine. Even if you were able to get every single magician to sign a petition threatening to boycott YouTube or Google or Facebook or whatever, they wouldn't bat an eye. We don't matter as a group, only as customers or data points, and losing us wouldn't cause so much as a hiccup. Babies are born every few seconds.

It's not just magic. The internet has changed and is changing everything. Literally. Everything. We've done a pretty good job keeping the secrets of our art secret for thousands of years mainly because most people don't care. If they did care, there have always been ways for them to find out whatever it is they want to know. We did it, right?

No sir, there's no war on magic. Any more than there is a war on music or literature. It's the march of progress. Or regress. And it'll go on till humans are replaced as the planet's apex predator. In the meantime, wanna see a card trick?!

Av

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » March 26th, 2019, 9:43 am

Folks may not know about rule 34. Charles Stross wrote a book with that title. I bring up the book (and the rule) to introduce one of the story elements - an AI (ATHENA) which links things together and also does tit-for-tat analysis. That's a step beyond what Mahdi is concerned about but hey some of us are worriers. Also that song from Avenue Q comes to mind. Once you have an open market and a panopticon (everyone can see it - some might not like it) the question of offering valuable data which is meaningful versus anodyne content gets difficult. Of course there's a market for controversial content and flame wars over whether Coke or Pepsi tastes better.

Our literature format (effect - method ) and lecture format (show - then explain) pretty much invites indexing. When the indexes have value - they become their own (wikipedia?) entity.

There's not much we can do about attention seeking unboxers, and unfortunately revealers. That's been part of our culture since Ponsin's book (Latest Tricks Revealed) and Angelo Lewis's serialized magic series... or Huggard and Braue, and whoever write the erdnase text... sorry. :(

Our apex predator seems to be a meme involving money and value. ;)
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Return to “General”