How to Introduce Your Kid to Magic

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
Terry

How to Introduce Your Kid to Magic

Postby Terry » October 16th, 2018, 10:19 am

erdnasephile

Re: How to Introduce Your Kid to Magic

Postby erdnasephile » October 16th, 2018, 12:42 pm

With respect, I didn't care for this article too much--it talks a lot about tricks, but not much about the process.

The following are just my off-the-cuff musings on the subject. I'm no expert on raising kids (except perhaps in raising my own), but I did want to share some personal opinions on this issue. YMMV, of course--and I certainly respect that. (Frankly, my perspectives could be 100% dead wrong for lots of kids).

If I were a magician trying to introduce my child to magic, I'd first make sure I was a good magician and role model for the art, as I think the best way to introduce your kid to magic is to actually perform good magic for them and let them see you perform good magic for others.

I would then wait to see if they showed any interest in learning themselves, without ever forcing magic on them.

If they did show interest, I'd get Josh Jay's book: "Big Magic for Little Hands" and teach them tricks from that. I think that's better than just handing them a book, buying them a bunch of tricks, or turning them over to a magic teacher. Working through the book together at their own pace becomes something to do together and forms precious memories. What I found was, my child's interest in my hobbies really didn't stem from the hobbies themselves, but rather a desire to spend time with and grow a connection with ME. Therefore, IMHO, if you just focus on the magic early on, you miss the primary reason for any of this.

If the magic bug happens to bite, then I think that's where Bill Severn's, Harry Lorayne's, and Pat Page's books come into play (depending on reading ability). The child gets to develop a strong magic foundation, while growing their reading and comprehension skills. They learn to think critically and to exercise their creativity. If they really get serious, Josh's free download "Under-Over" becomes a valuable resource as well (for both them and you).

In terms of clubs, I'm just not sure how valuable they are in many circumstances. I benefitted greatly from the Long Beach Mystics gang when I was young, but nowadays around my neck of the woods, the clubs seem populated by 99% old dudes--that can be a bit daunting, especially for girls and minorities. Nevertheless, if you have a thriving young person's magic club that is well-run, I think that can be a great experience. However, I'd sure make certain I was actively participating in that club as well because sadly, there are more than a few creeps out there.

Finally, I believe we need to LISTEN to what our kids are telling us. So many parents get carried away with this sort of thing. They mean well and wish to share the joy they have with magic, but they sometimes forget that every child is different and forcing a kid into an optional activity (either explicitly or implicitly) will profit no one. An over-serious approach to magic in this context isn't helpful, and compelling/paying kids to practice a hobby seems counterproductive (although it works for some). Personally, I'd follow the child's lead, realizing that interest ebbs and flows over time, and sometimes may never bloom. Better yet: if you find out their passion is in something different than magic, learn to introduce yourself to their hobby and use that to enhance your relationship with them instead. IMHO, our love for magic should never override our love for them.

performer

Postby performer » October 16th, 2018, 1:19 pm

I don't like the article because it exposes the French Drop. However, in any case there are enough atrocious "magicians" in the world without adding any more. The less kids learning magic the better. They should be out shoplifting and breaking windows like other kids do instead of inflicting torture on future audiences with badly done magic. Luckily most of them lose interest quickly and eventually go on to other pursuits. The trouble is that they now know how the tricks are done and will go around annoying performers by saying, "I know that one. I went to magic camp"

Joe Naud
Favorite Magician: Vernon, Tamariz, Carney, DaOrtiz, Mac King

Postby Joe Naud » October 16th, 2018, 11:38 pm

It’s not that complicated. I gave my son a deck of cards and a copy of Erdnase. The rest is history. He became a baker.

Peace, Joe

Jack Shalom

Postby Jack Shalom » October 17th, 2018, 6:11 am

At least he makes more dough than a magician.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » October 18th, 2018, 8:22 am

Joe Naud wrote:It’s not that complicated. I gave my son a deck of cards and a copy of Erdnase. The rest is history. He became a baker.

Peace, Joe

Hah!

(Is his name, Albert by any chance? https://geniimagazine.com/wiki/index.ph ... rt_Goshman )

Return to “General”