A rarely seen video...

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
Tom Moore

A rarely seen video...

Postby Tom Moore » September 21st, 2018, 5:10 am

Someone has helpfully uploaded the 1982 TV special "Magic with the stars" to youtube and it is well worth watching https://youtu.be/GrSrEiBG3-s

there's the usual 1980's issues (it's crammed with too many cameo's and there's a dance number in between everything) but aside from that it has some stunningly good performances of effects that are now so badly performed as to be cliche's. Hat's off to Richiardi for the cleanest and most deceptive performance of his broomstick levitation I've ever seen and for the little details in his dekolta chair sequence that show he really understood the need to reformat magic when it's being presented on TV. Copperfield does his full Dancing Hanky routine plus loans some of his props to the various celebs taking part so you get to see properly performed, scripted, well presented versions of some of the classic stage effects. Despite the questionable fashion and haircuts it's a very enjoyable special to watch!
"Ingenious" - Ben Brantley: New York Times

thomasmoorecreative

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: A rarely seen video...

Postby Richard Kaufman » September 21st, 2018, 11:18 am

I saw Richiardi at the Festival of Magic and the Occult at the Felt Forum at Madison Square Garden when I was a kid. He was amazing in every way.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Tom Moore

Postby Tom Moore » September 22nd, 2018, 9:55 am

Oh I love everything he’s ever done but in this show in particular they’ve clearly really worked hard to make this performance really pop.

thomasmoorecreative

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » September 22nd, 2018, 10:59 am

Watching Richiardi for the first time here was a revelation to me--thank you so much for posting!

Tom Moore

Postby Tom Moore » September 23rd, 2018, 5:18 am

There's very little video of him as he really was all about live performance and honing his repertoire - the other video worth watching is the documentary of him from 1983. He's in his late 60's so past his prime but still has the spark that made him great and its good to see how he addressed the issues of how a pensioner could perform the world's fastest sub trunk.

What makes him great isn't just his passionate performance but also his attention to detail and subtlety - see in the floating kiddie-car how many subtle convincers he drops in to the routine without ever calling attention to them; it's a masterclass in how to underplay things and make them more powerful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SABOxRvYojY

thomasmoorecreative

Actionjack
Favorite Magician: Chung Ling Soo

Postby Actionjack » October 15th, 2018, 10:55 pm

Thanks for posting this link. The zombie violin was an interesting take on an oldie but goody. The footage of Richiardi was very special, the man was a superb performer. I wish Vincent Price had a bigger performance role in this special, as a kid I loved watching old movies of his.

Tom Moore

Postby Tom Moore » October 17th, 2018, 2:22 pm

Actually (and I’m worried how old this makes me feel) the zombie was still relatively contemporary when this special was shot and Norm’s act was considered incredibly cutting edge and dynamic at the time.

Vincent Price made several tv magic special appearances around this period - there was a handful of iconic (but largely unemployable) movie actors who’s entire career in the late 70’s consisted of hosting and guest starring on tv specials. Go deep diving on Vimeo and YouTube of you want more of him.

thomasmoorecreative

Return to “General”