Once in a lifetime moment

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
Jason Ladanye
Favorite Magician: Erdnase

Once in a lifetime moment

Postby Jason Ladanye » September 3rd, 2018, 12:18 pm

New Blog is up! Read about this once in a lifetime moment! https://www.cardmagicbyjason.com/once-in-a-lifetime/

Do you have any once in a lifetime moments when performing or practicing?

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Re: Once in a lifetime moment

Postby MagicbyAlfred » September 3rd, 2018, 12:47 pm

Yes, one of the once in a lifetime moments that comes to mind for me was when I was performing aboard the Lady Windridge circa 1997 in Ft. Lauderdale. I was on the top deck performing (standing) my Ambitious Card Routine while surrounded by about 30 guests. I was being pretty severely heckled by a sarcastic lady, probably in her mid-thirties, who was the signatory of the card. She kept saying things like, "You didn't really put my card into the deck, Mr. Magician," and "My card is still on top."

Finally, she insisted on shuffling. I don't know if it was divine inspiration or dumb luck that prompted me to look her in the eye, smile, and say, "Certainly, go right ahead" (as I palmed off the AC from the top - mercifully without detection). I dropped my hand casually to my side as she shuffled, seeing that she was wearing a blazer with roomy side pockets, I managed to slip the card in one of the pockets as she was smugly shuffling the (hell out of the) deck.

When I got the deck back, I began to BS about how I was going to make her card vanish completely. After suitable incantations and exagerated magical gestures over the deck, I handed it back to her to have a look. The look of puzzlement and amazement when she could not find her card was priceless. She blurted out, "You made my card disappear." I casually replied, "Why yes, that's what I do."

By this time I had gradually inched away from her to the point where I was standing a good 5-6 feet away from her. Almost as an afterthought, I innocently asked her, "Oh wait, have you checked your pockets?" At that point, the spectators all looked at one another with big smiles and great anticipation (although I don't know how many, if any, saw me stash the card in her pocket). When she found the card in her pocket, she let out a scream of surprise and delight, and exclaimed that I was the best magician she'd ever seen.

As I basked in the thunderous applause, I was most gratified to see that the party planner had witnessed the whole thing! The former heckler-turned-biggest-fan followed me around for the rest of the night, singing my praises to the other guests. I had a lot of fun playing off her, using her as "my lovely assistant," and quipping lines such as how she'd be paid after the show.

Jason Ladanye
Favorite Magician: Erdnase

Postby Jason Ladanye » September 3rd, 2018, 1:24 pm

That is a GREAT story!

I walked up to a group of guests at a walk-around gig prepared to perform an effect of mine called Quick Change Artist. The setup is the four Aces and the four Jacks on top of the deck and the suit order is memorized for this particular routine. When I walked up to the group, this loud obnoxious man shouted, "I'll give you $100 if you can make me pick the Jack of Clubs!" His friends looked at me like, "Well, go ahead magic boy..."

I graciously accepted the tip.

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby MagicbyAlfred » September 3rd, 2018, 4:07 pm

NICE.

(I would be graciously willing to split it with you)

Mark Collier

Postby Mark Collier » September 4th, 2018, 9:56 am

I was performing walkaround for a law firm. I asked to borrow a dollar bill and the guy took it out of his wallet, looked at the serial number and announced, "3609 B". I switched it out for a $100 bill and the last four digits and letter matched exactly.

Return to “General”