H.G. Wells wrote a magic book

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
Mahdi Gilbert

H.G. Wells wrote a magic book

Postby Mahdi Gilbert » July 30th, 2018, 9:49 am

Hi everyone,

For those of you who know of H.G. Wells you know how influential he has been on the world of literature, fantasy and science fiction. Many of his popular works have been turned into major motion picture films such as The Time Machine, War of the Worlds, The Invisible Man, The Island of Dr. Moreau, Things to Come, and many more.

It's very little known though that he wrote one of the best short stories on magic ever written. It too was also turned into a hit film. It was titled The Man Who Could Work Miracles. "The Man Who Could Work Miracles" is a short story by H. G. Wells first published in 1898 in The Illustrated London News.

During an argument about the impossibility of miracles a man discovers he can do miracles. It's a really funny and realistic portrayal of what would happen if someone discovered they could do anything. If you could do anything, what would you do? I’m reminded that magicians often play a role of having supernatural powers. If you could teleport objects and pause time would you really be using it to transpose cards and coins? This book explores a man who discovers that he can work real miracles and forces a performer to question the motivation within his act.

You can read the book here: http://beforemagic.com/bookstore/the-ma ... k-miracles

Enjoy!

Richard Tremblay

Re: H.G. Wells wrote a magic book

Postby Richard Tremblay » July 30th, 2018, 10:52 am

Thanks!

Love H.G. Wells but didn't know about this story.

Stephen Burton

Postby Stephen Burton » July 30th, 2018, 12:38 pm

He also had another great story with a conjuring theme entitled, The Magic Shop.

You can find it here: http://www.searchengine.org.uk/ebooks/59/83.pdf

Jack Shalom

Postby Jack Shalom » July 30th, 2018, 2:23 pm

If I had real magic powers, there's no doubt that I would immediately perform "Sam the Bellhop."

Diego

Postby Diego » July 30th, 2018, 7:13 pm

"The Magic Shop", (a very good story BTW) was credited for an episode on, "Alfred Hitchcock Presents". But it had little resemblance to the H.G. Wells story.

It reminded you a little of The Twilight Zone episode with Billy Mumy, "It's a Good Life."

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » July 30th, 2018, 7:39 pm

Looks like an early version of our "ham sandwich" story.
"You were saying," he said, addressing himself to Gip, "before you came in, that you would like one of our 'Buy One and Astonish your Friends' boxes?"
Gip, after a gallant effort, said "Yes."
"It's in your pocket."

Also some Robert-Houdin perhaps by way of Hoffmann?
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jules_de_Rov%C3%A8re
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » July 30th, 2018, 9:39 pm

Mahdi Gilbert wrote:Enjoy!

PS It was such a good story that it got echoed in a Twilight Zone episode with Buddy Ebsen... which leaves the magic in place ;)
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Mahdi Gilbert

Postby Mahdi Gilbert » July 31st, 2018, 11:31 am

When I was in University I had a course on Science Fiction Literature and the story was in an anthology I read. It's very rare for me to come across magic in books outside of magic so it really stuck out in my mind. I also just loved everything about the logic of the characters. I feel that we, as performing magicians, don't really use logic in what we present. So it was a big inspiration to look at real magic in a story by an incredible author.

Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Mahdi Gilbert wrote:Enjoy!

PS It was such a good story that it got echoed in a Twilight Zone episode with Buddy Ebsen... which leaves the magic in place ;)

Return to “General”