Magical Animals

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
Mahdi Gilbert

Magical Animals

Postby Mahdi Gilbert » May 31st, 2018, 3:46 pm

Hello,

I just got an Australian Cattle Dog a few months ago. I'm working hard on training him to be able to perform magic. I am familiar with Ricky Jay's book on Learned Pigs but is there any other animals mentioned in the literature of magic who have graced the stages in the annals of magic?

P.S. Here's a video of my cute dog :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8vTiIbGryA

I.M. Magician
Favorite Magician: All of the very best!

Re: Magical Animals

Postby I.M. Magician » May 31st, 2018, 4:28 pm

I don’t have any info to offer you concerning animals in magic but want to congratulate you on acquiring that beautiful doggie.

I claim to be the planet’s biggest animal lover and think you made a superb decision by adding that fella to your household. He will become your best pal no doubt!

Early consistent training will pay off so please be aware of that. Both you and he will be happier campers by training him well.

It appears that he will be a card worker. :D

Anyway, I wish you many years of happiness with your new buddy!

Jack Shalom

Postby Jack Shalom » May 31st, 2018, 5:38 pm

Guy tell his friends he's got a talking dog. He insists. "Listen to him!"
"Aces, what do you call the part of the house that's over your head?"
"Ruff, Ruff."
"Exactly, a roof. Aces, what's the opposite of smooth?"
"Ruff, Ruff"
"Exactly, rough is the opposite of smooth. Aces, who was the greatest baseball hitter of all time?"
"Ruff, Ruff"
"Exactly, Aces, the great Babe Ruth."
Well, the guy's friends laugh and mock him and tell him that that's some talking dog he's got there.
When the guy gets home, he starts yelling at the dog. "You made a fool of me!"
The dog replies, "Maybe I should have said Hank Aaron?"

Edward Pungot

Postby Edward Pungot » May 31st, 2018, 10:43 pm

Talk to Pendragon.

performer

Postby performer » May 31st, 2018, 10:49 pm

I have met that dog. I would suggest that before you teach it magic it might be a better idea to teach it to stop urinating all over the Toronto Subway System.

chetday
Favorite Magician: Jon Racherbaumer

Postby chetday » June 1st, 2018, 11:54 am

Madhi, my blue heeler is 17 years old and slowing down now, but she's been the most wonderful companion imaginable. I hope you have the same experience with your cattle dog.

Mahdi Gilbert

Postby Mahdi Gilbert » June 16th, 2018, 1:34 pm

Thank you for all your kind messages. Any magic literature on animals though?

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » June 16th, 2018, 5:18 pm

i think chuck smith shared a great idea in one of his lecture notes.

Denis Behr

Postby Denis Behr » June 17th, 2018, 2:04 am

He did share an idea: https://www.conjuringarchive.com/list/b ... light=9905
There are several "dog/cat finds card" ideas sprinkled throughout the literature.

Mahdi Gilbert

Postby Mahdi Gilbert » July 10th, 2018, 8:17 am

I have many ideas that I think are original and would love great on stage. Does anyone know of any world class animal trainers?

Mahdi Gilbert

Postby Mahdi Gilbert » July 10th, 2018, 9:44 pm

Also, here's an update on me and Akaba : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzlCBW67Nv0

Enjoy!

I.M. Magician

Postby I.M. Magician » July 10th, 2018, 10:41 pm

Do you reinforce good behavior with occasional treats? I didn’t see you give him any in the video.

I agree with you 100% about kill shelters. It’s disgusting!

I wish you continued success with Akaba...

Mahdi Gilbert

Postby Mahdi Gilbert » July 11th, 2018, 8:19 am

I do but I keep them in a little open shoulder bag and because we were sitting on the ground he would have been trying to get in nonstop so I left it at home. :)

Mahdi

I.M. Magician wrote:Do you reinforce good behavior with occasional treats? I didn’t see you give him any in the video.

I agree with you 100% about kill shelters. It’s disgusting!

I wish you continued success with Akaba...

I.M. Magician

Postby I.M. Magician » July 11th, 2018, 2:40 pm

I know someone who has a dog with an abundance of energy and was difficult to control. So, he found a place you can call a day camp for dogs where they can run around all day as much as they want. When the owner picks up the dog, it’s exhausted and ready for a nice calm remainder of the day and evening at home. Works like a charm!

You may want to consider that option if you can find a qualified place like that where the dog is safe in every aspect.

As dogs get older, they tend to calm down just like people. So, time can be a solution as well!

In any case, Akaba is lucky to be in a home with a caring and loving daddy...

Mahdi Gilbert

Postby Mahdi Gilbert » September 1st, 2018, 2:11 pm

Here's an update on Akaba. He's 7 months old and we're training to make him into a magic assistant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qPoonpDnso

I.M. Magician

Postby I.M. Magician » September 1st, 2018, 8:52 pm

Because of the breed of dog he is and being a young fella, he requires plenty of room to run. He doesn’t appear to be doing anything he shouldn’t from what I saw in the video. Of course, biting is a problem and both dogs and cats have a tendency to do so for a variety of reasons including, confusion, being hungry, and/or just doing what dogs and cats do sometimes.

I am thinking that, before he gets any older, you should get a qualified trainer to help eliminate the unwanted behaviors. If you wait too long, it becomes rather difficult to break habits and may become too late.

More space is a great idea but won’t eliminate certain tendencies which need to be addressed and eliminated ASAP. Time for the limitations to be set my friend...

Biting is not only harmful but can get you and the dog into trouble if he bites someone so, that should be priority number one. If you don’t believe me, just watch Judge Judy. You seemed concerned about it but I am not feeling a sense of urgency on your part and I am concerned about that.

I am no expert but love animals and have learned some things about them. Hope this helps somewhat and please give that doggie a hug and a kiss from me. He’s a cutie pie!

By the way, I am not sure how you are presently making him an assistant. First things first for that to be successful.

Return to “General”