Performing new material for the first time

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
Jason Ladanye
Favorite Magician: Erdnase

Performing new material for the first time

Postby Jason Ladanye » February 27th, 2018, 10:06 am

Here are some thoughts about performing new material for the first time. How often do you get outside your comfort zone?

https://www.cardmagicbyjason.com/perfor ... -material/

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Re: Performing new material for the first time

Postby MagicbyAlfred » February 27th, 2018, 5:18 pm

Jason Ladanye wrote:Here are some thoughts about performing new material for the first time. How often do you get outside your comfort zone?

Thank you for your insightful thoughts on this issue.

I may be different from a lot of magicians because in addition to working special events, I have done (and still do) a lot of bar and restaurant magic. This is a baptism of fire which, after a while, results in a certain degree of fearlessness. I have had "regulars" who come in weekly, or more, over a period of literally 2-3 years. This means I am forced to continually learn and perform new material. So, I am comfortable doing it - just focusing on making it fun and entertaining. I don't worry at all about how it's going to go over, but just jump in and damn the torpedoes. Because I am relaxed and having a great time, they do too. Seems to work out just fine.

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » February 27th, 2018, 5:38 pm

Two pieces of advice given to me as a teenager by my mentor, Eric Sharp:

Don't learn a trick that if you don't do for a month, you have to relearn it.

Most magicians when adding a new routine will leave out their weakest one. Instead leave out your best one. Because you know the reactions you are used to getting, you will work harder on your show and all the routines will improve just a little bit. Over time you will end up with a second show of A material, rather than one of A and a second of B or C material.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » February 28th, 2018, 12:23 pm

Jason Ladanye wrote:Here are some thoughts about performing new material for the first time. How often do you get outside your comfort zone?

Appreciate the thoughtful article!

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby MagicbyAlfred » February 28th, 2018, 8:50 pm

Jason, I enjoyed your video, "How a Card Cheat Stacks the Deck." Very nice work, and the music went well with the video. The flourish where the cards are interlaced faro style and then spread in an arc on the table like a flower was one I had not seen before, essentially a tabled giant fan, but it had me immediately reaching for my cards.

Return to “General”