The Paul Daniels Magic Show

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
Christopher1979
Favorite Magician: Ricky Jay, Dai Vernon, Darwin Ortiz, Ed Marlo

The Paul Daniels Magic Show

Postby Christopher1979 » December 18th, 2017, 12:51 pm

I find it funny that after all these years and especially after the tragic passing of Paul Daniels that the Paul Daniels magic show has not been digitally remastered and made into a box set of sorts.

15 years of wonder magic by one of the greatest performers that ever lived not to mention the 100's of guest acts. Magicians of today are missing out on a lot. This type of "variety performance" is not seen today and its such a shame. Not to mention "Secrets" which i think was axed by the BBC...

I think i heard somewhere years ago that the BBC no longer have any original copies of the Paul Daniels Magic Show.

Nevertheless, i think its so sad that this massive body of work by Paul has not been remastered and shown to a new audience.
Auctions & Consignment for Historic Memorabilia and Collectibles
https://www.britannicauctions.com/magic-collectibles/

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: The Paul Daniels Magic Show

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 18th, 2017, 1:16 pm

They only make DVDs of TV shows that people will buy.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Christopher1979

Postby Christopher1979 » December 18th, 2017, 1:22 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:They only make DVDs of TV shows that people will buy.

Well if that is the case that neither the general public or magicians have any interest.... how very sad.

jkeyes1000

Postby jkeyes1000 » December 18th, 2017, 1:48 pm

I don't know if I would buy a boxed set of DVDs, but I certainly agree that it is tragic that the shows are unavailable. Lots of wonderful memories! Paul Daniels was the ideal modern magician. Down to Earth, great sense of humour, and able to inspire that nostalgic sort of wonder that we alI felt as kids watching our first magic show.

performer

Postby performer » December 18th, 2017, 2:36 pm

Well, there are still plenty of you tube videos of Paul Daniels out there so all is not lost.

Christopher1979

Postby Christopher1979 » December 18th, 2017, 2:44 pm

performer wrote:Well, there are still plenty of you tube videos of Paul Daniels out there so all is not lost.

Very true, i just thought Paul Daniels was a big reason for many of us getting into magic in the first place that there would of been more of a calling for a DVD release or at least some special compilation of his shows as a mark of respect.

He has given so much to the art of magic and yet so few people acknowledged him after his sad passing

performer

Postby performer » December 18th, 2017, 5:16 pm

He was a performer for the PUBLIC rather than for magicians. That may be part of the reason. However, unlike other celebrity magicians he was always very ready to engage with other magicians whether amateur or professional. I think at heart he was a magic club magician who just happened to become famous. I always thought he was a superb performer.

Your post just made me look up some old correspondance I had with him from a couple of years back. He amused me then by calling magicians who were "famous" in the world of magic rather than for the public "magazine heroes" !

Christopher1979

Postby Christopher1979 » December 18th, 2017, 5:51 pm

performer wrote:He was a performer for the PUBLIC rather than for magicians. That may be part of the reason. However, unlike other celebrity magicians he was always very ready to engage with other magicians whether amateur or professional. I think at heart he was a magic club magician who just happened to become famous. I always thought he was a superb performer.

Your post just made me look up some old correspondance I had with him from a couple of years back. He amused me then by calling magicians who were "famous" in the world of magic rather than for the public "magazine heroes" !

Maybe that is what it is, i actually spoke to him many times, the last time was after buying something from him on ebay. I remember telling him something along the line's of how he impacted my love of magic with his Paul Daniels Magic Set back in 1987. As always he was so humble and overwhelmed that he had made such an impact on other aspiring magicians the way he did.

Great man and sadly missed.

magicfish

Postby magicfish » December 19th, 2017, 8:59 am

I would be first in line if these ever came out and I'd be willing to pay a high price for them.

mel

Postby mel » December 19th, 2017, 10:45 am

...me, too!!!
Though I´ve nearly got them all fae 1990 onwards...; certainly will keep me busy (and happy) over the festive season transfering these shows from tapes to dvds...

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » December 19th, 2017, 11:41 am

For a while Paul was selling DVDs of his shows from his site; I'm not sure if this is still happening, but it might be worth a look.

I remember him saying that many of the early episodes were taped over, so the best bet is the private collectors who have transferred VHS copies.

Thinking back to the release of the Secret Cabaret DVDs, I would imagine that trying to cut through the Gordian knot of rights might also be a barrier to any release.

David Ben

Postby David Ben » December 19th, 2017, 12:12 pm

Magicana will be doing an online exhibition culled from Daniel’s television appearances hopefully late next year.

Christopher1979

Postby Christopher1979 » December 19th, 2017, 12:15 pm

magicfish wrote:

I would be first in line if these ever came out and I'd be willing to pay a high price for them.

Nice to see there are some other people that feel like i do about the Paul Daniels Magic Show :)

Christopher1979

Postby Christopher1979 » December 19th, 2017, 12:18 pm

Ian Kendall wrote:For a while Paul was selling DVDs of his shows from his site; I'm not sure if this is still happening, but it might be worth a look.

I remember him saying that many of the early episodes were taped over, so the best bet is the private collectors who have transferred VHS copies.

Thinking back to the release of the Secret Cabaret DVDs, I would imagine that trying to cut through the Gordian knot of rights might also be a barrier to any release.

I didn't know that!, i will have a look on the website and see if that is still the case. Maybe i need to try and track down someone that has recorded all of his shows on VHS.

Thanks Ian

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » December 19th, 2017, 4:37 pm

David Ben wrote:Magicana will be doing an online exhibition culled from Daniel’s television appearances hopefully late next year.

Whoop! Thank you so much for this, Mr. Ben! Looking forward to this, indeed.

Christopher1979

Postby Christopher1979 » December 19th, 2017, 5:28 pm

David Ben wrote:Magicana will be doing an online exhibition culled from Daniel’s television appearances hopefully late next year.

Wonderful news!

performer

Postby performer » December 20th, 2017, 6:09 pm

A few years ago I was discussing with Paul the effects of aging. This is what he said

"John Calvert used to wake up on a morning and remind himself that he was an actor. We are all actors in the magic game, are we not. So he used to tell himself every morning to ACT younger.... he made it to 102.

I too try to remind myself of that and also, every time I walk through a doorway, to walk taller. It doesn't make me any taller, but it does make me feel better. :) "

Joe Mckay
Favorite Magician: Lubor Fiedler

Postby Joe Mckay » April 18th, 2018, 4:43 pm

Ian Keable has an interesting series of blog posts about Paul Daniels over here:

http://www.iankeable.co.uk/blog/category/8-paul-daniels [start from the post at the bottom of the page]

Return to “General”