Royal road to card magic

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
performer
Posts: 3510
Joined: August 7th, 2015, 10:35 pm

Re: Royal road to card magic

Postby performer » December 6th, 2019, 8:36 am

The foreword has now been taken care of so that is one thing that is out of the way. I have as yet not been able to contact either Hugard or Braue in the spirit world. Communications seem to be down. It must be the weather I suppose. I am sure it is something to do with climate change. However, I have been in touch with someone who knew them quite well and is very much alive. He informs me that he is pretty sure they would approve of my efforts. I have a feeling that stuffy old Hugard might be a bit disapproving of this small paragraph at the beginning of the appendix but hopefully he will miss it.

"This might be a good point to explain what I mean by the top of the deck. Let us assume that the deck is face down. The first face down card is the top card of the deck. It is at the top of the deck. The last card of the deck is at the bottom of the deck. Now I hope you know what I am talking about. It gets a little more complicated if the pack is face up since the top card will now be the bottom of the deck and the bottom card will be at the top. I am quite sure that you have no idea what the last sentence meant and I now wish I hadn’t written it. I shall try again. Let us assume that the deck is face upwards. The card facing you is actually the top card of the pack since it is at the top. However that is from a technical literal point of view. From a card magician’s standpoint it is actually the bottom card of the deck! And the same goes for the bottom card which is actually the top of the deck.
The heck with it! I wish I hadn’t started this description. I shall let you use your common sense and figure it out yourself........."

MagicbyAlfred
Posts: 1456
Joined: June 7th, 2015, 12:48 pm
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone
Location: Myrtle Beach, SC

Re: Royal road to card magic

Postby MagicbyAlfred » December 6th, 2019, 11:46 am

I think it is a perfectly good and clear, not to mention entertaining, description. The only time I got a bit confused was when I had the pack face up and was standing on my head at the time...

performer
Posts: 3510
Joined: August 7th, 2015, 10:35 pm

Re: Royal road to card magic

Postby performer » December 6th, 2019, 10:13 pm

Well, I must have done something right since someone eminent in magic who has seen the manuscript said the following:

"What a job he’s done! His annotations, updates, wonderfully clear and explicit photos, new ideas, and more, make this an absolute must-have."

I won't say who said it just yet. I shall merely say it was said.

Stever Cobb
Posts: 34
Joined: October 21st, 2015, 12:08 pm
Favorite Magician: John Calvert

Re: Royal road to card magic

Postby Stever Cobb » December 6th, 2019, 11:40 pm

Howdy Governor! I recently read "Sell Like an Ace Live Like A King" It was allright, but you made it seem like I should read it before I finished your book, which I almost finished till you told me about Ace! What Gives?

Bill Mullins
Posts: 5371
Joined: January 17th, 2008, 12:00 pm
Location: Huntsville, AL

Re: Royal road to card magic

Postby Bill Mullins » December 7th, 2019, 12:18 am

performer wrote:I won't say who said it just yet.

It doesn't make any difference. Unless we live in the same apartment building as he does, we won't recognize who it is anyway.

performer
Posts: 3510
Joined: August 7th, 2015, 10:35 pm

Re: Royal road to card magic

Postby performer » December 7th, 2019, 7:45 am

Bill Mullins wrote:
performer wrote:I won't say who said it just yet.

It doesn't make any difference. Unless we live in the same apartment building as he does, we won't recognize who it is anyway.


Oh, I think you have heard of him..............................

performer
Posts: 3510
Joined: August 7th, 2015, 10:35 pm

Re: Royal road to card magic

Postby performer » December 7th, 2019, 7:47 am

Stever Cobb wrote:Howdy Governor! I recently read "Sell Like an Ace Live Like A King" It was allright, but you made it seem like I should read it before I finished your book, which I almost finished till you told me about Ace! What Gives?


Which of my books did you mean? The Showman book?

performer
Posts: 3510
Joined: August 7th, 2015, 10:35 pm

Re: Royal road to card magic

Postby performer » December 7th, 2019, 5:33 pm

Another comment has appeared from someone who has seen the manuscript. He has never read the Royal Road to Card Magic before.
Well, it seems that he has now.

"It has been a long time since I couldn’t sleep when I’d just acquired a new magic book – had to finish reading it before I turned off the bedside lamp and closed my eyes! This book did it!

I don’t know what price Mark will put on this book, but whatever that price I assure you that it will be worth much, much, more for you than that amount! "

performer
Posts: 3510
Joined: August 7th, 2015, 10:35 pm

Re: Royal road to card magic

Postby performer » December 8th, 2019, 9:04 pm

magicfish wrote:Many of us are still hoping Mr. Lorayne takes this on. Perhaps after his next book.


Well, he took on the foreword anyway and I am very grateful to him for doing it.

performer
Posts: 3510
Joined: August 7th, 2015, 10:35 pm

Re: Royal road to card magic

Postby performer » December 13th, 2019, 9:10 am

OK. The book is nearly finished. It is all over bar the shouting and of course I like to do a lot of shouting. I suspect it will be up and running within a few days. Before Christmas anyway. I do know one thing. I think it is going to be one humdinger of a book. I really must congratulate myself.......................

Stever Cobb
Posts: 34
Joined: October 21st, 2015, 12:08 pm
Favorite Magician: John Calvert

Re: Royal road to card magic

Postby Stever Cobb » December 14th, 2019, 6:10 pm

Good Day Governor!

Yes, it is "Lives of a Showman" Got my curiosity up on the new book, Can I buy the book at my local magic shop in the near future?

performer
Posts: 3510
Joined: August 7th, 2015, 10:35 pm

Re: Royal road to card magic

Postby performer » December 14th, 2019, 7:39 pm

Not yet. It is an e-book at the moment. It should be out very soon. Days rather than weeks. However, later on it will indeed come out in hard back. I know normally books come out in hard copy first and e-books later. I get a bit dizzy sometimes with age and become confused so I am doing it the other way round.

Incidentally, here is an example of how I have annotated the book. In the palming chapter there is a trick called Now You See It. At one time it was my favourite trick and it got fantastic reaction. However, I think I put that down to the fact that I was 16 years old at the time I first learned it and people tended to react more because of my youth. As time went by I noticed the reaction was more diluted.

I still remember someone said to me in those days, "You are good because you are so unsophisticated" I was young and innocent then and I think that made people react better. Alas I am no longer "unsophisticated" and certainly old and wicked rather than young and innocent.
Now You See It was my favourite trick in those days and I got more reaction from it than anything else I did. However, as the years went by I learned other tricks that seemed to replace it in reaction such as 3 cards across, MacDonalds Aces, Out of This World, Matching the Cards etc;

Anyway, I altered the handling over the years to using 5 cards instead of four. I often wonder if that is the reason the reaction diluted but probably not. On reflection I think it was the age thing and also I became much slicker and faster paced. That isn't necessarily a good thing. Sometimes it is better to be less slick so the people underestimate you and then you can go in for the kill. I try to remember this philosophy when performing impromptu although it is far more difficult to do so when performing professionally for obvious reasons.

Anyway, I describe the new 5 card version (not really new since I devised it decades ago) in the annotations. Come to think of it here is a video of me doing it in an interview situation. The card trick demonstration starts at two minutes in with flourishes and then you will see the annotated version of Now You See It. Different handling than the original Royal Road description and 5 cards instead of four. Note the corner to corner subtlety that I came up with to disguise the fact that the same card is shown twice.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QktEi37NBaA

Stever Cobb
Posts: 34
Joined: October 21st, 2015, 12:08 pm
Favorite Magician: John Calvert

Re: Royal road to card magic

Postby Stever Cobb » December 14th, 2019, 8:38 pm

Governor,

Please don't do an e-book, that internet thing is just a fad and is not going to catch on.

At the minimum you have to do an on-demand book,; you know this! I have purchased several on-demand books... you can hold them, smell them and cry for the dead trees.... I need a copy on paper.... don't make it easy for them..

performer
Posts: 3510
Joined: August 7th, 2015, 10:35 pm

Re: Royal road to card magic

Postby performer » December 14th, 2019, 10:02 pm

I agree 100 percent. I am not a fan of e-books and consider them against the laws of nature. Still, that is how the universe has organised things at this moment in time. However, at some point in the future it will indeed be sold as a real book. I don't know when that will be and for all I know I might drop dead before then. So, if you don't want to wait then by all means get the e-book first and if it is as good as I claim it to be then later go for the real book.

Incidentally, I have written another e-book which has never been made into a hard copy book. The e-book format seemed appropriate since it detailed many different posts I had made on the internet. Here it is:

https://www.amazon.com/Wit-Wisdom-Mark- ... op?ie=UTF8
It has also been discussed on this very forum:
viewtopic.php?t=21898
Note the $15 price quoted therein at that particular time was reduced by me to about half that on Amazon because I am full of the milk of human kindness. (the real reason being that I don't understand all this horrible computer stuff and that was the way it worked out)

MagicbyAlfred
Posts: 1456
Joined: June 7th, 2015, 12:48 pm
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone
Location: Myrtle Beach, SC

Re: Royal road to card magic

Postby MagicbyAlfred » December 15th, 2019, 2:18 pm

Entertaining presentation of "Now You See It," Performer. I have always thought of it as a trick that might more aptly have been included in the chapter on the Glide. I have never performed "Now You See It", but I have long performed my own version of Eddie Fechter's "That's It" (which, of course, is based on Charlie Miller's "Dunbury Delusion"). I see those tricks as distant cousins to "Now You See It." In "That's It," I want the actual selection to appear third, instead of as the second card they are shown, as I think it's a better build up, and makes for a stronger finale, which may possibly have been similar to your thinking in adding the fifth card in "Now You See It" - although in "Now You See It, they never see their selection until the denouement."

I think your idea of adding a 5th card strengthens the trick as there is a certain symmetry that was lacking with 4 cards, and I assume makes it more likely that they will single out their selection at the end, because it is in the middle flanked by two cards on each side. Also, the mathematical (if not the actual) likelihood of them choosing their selection out of 5 cards is obviously less than if there were just 4 cards, which also makes the ending stronger. When I watched another performance you did of the trick on video - I believe it was at a trade show for some ladies - the spectator also put her finger on the center card of the five. I am assuming that the center card is the one the spectators single out a high percentage of the time?

performer
Posts: 3510
Joined: August 7th, 2015, 10:35 pm

Re: Royal road to card magic

Postby performer » December 15th, 2019, 2:53 pm

Yes, they usually go for the middle card. You have to rush them slightly though.

I do the old four card version occasionally if I am in a quieter and more attentive atmosphere. The palming behind the back move is a marvellous force and it is the original method described. However, it is slower paced and I reserve it for a more attentive atmosphere. I think this point of fitting the trick to the prevailing atmosphere is seldom, if even ever, even mentioned in the literature. You have to fit the trick to the atmosphere. Quicker tricks and a faster pace in a boisterous environment. Making people laugh in that type of atmosphere is important too. However, there are places where you can take your time and emphasise the mystery more.

For example tricks like Poker Player's Picnic and Out of this World work best in quieter, less restless atmospheres whereas quicker items such as Dotty Spots, Card Flourishes and may God preserve me (he probably won't) the damn svengali deck are more suitable for a livelier atmosphere. I believe the Dr Sack Dice trick is better for a quieter atmosphere too since people have to concentrate better.

I never see this point mentioned anywhere. Well--I just did.

MagicbyAlfred
Posts: 1456
Joined: June 7th, 2015, 12:48 pm
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone
Location: Myrtle Beach, SC

Re: Royal road to card magic

Postby MagicbyAlfred » December 15th, 2019, 6:06 pm

It is an important point.

performer
Posts: 3510
Joined: August 7th, 2015, 10:35 pm

Re: Royal road to card magic

Postby performer » December 15th, 2019, 6:57 pm

In this interview I actually make the point at around 18.24. In actual fact there is quite a bit of good information on other matters throughout the interview.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vYiairhhoI

performer
Posts: 3510
Joined: August 7th, 2015, 10:35 pm

Re: Royal road to card magic

Postby performer » December 24th, 2019, 8:27 pm

The Annotated Royal Road to Card Magic is up and running now.
https://www.lybrary.com/the-annotated-r ... 23422.html

performer
Posts: 3510
Joined: August 7th, 2015, 10:35 pm

Re: Royal road to card magic

Postby performer » December 24th, 2019, 8:43 pm

I posted the above five minutes ago and two of you have purchased it already! I have no idea who it was but I know it was from this forum since I haven't yet mentioned it anywhere else! I am going to though.....................................

User avatar
Brian Douglas
Posts: 90
Joined: November 19th, 2016, 10:34 am
Favorite Magician: Max Maven
Location: Middle East
Contact:

Re: Royal road to card magic

Postby Brian Douglas » December 24th, 2019, 10:30 pm

three...

performer
Posts: 3510
Joined: August 7th, 2015, 10:35 pm

Re: Royal road to card magic

Postby performer » December 24th, 2019, 11:30 pm

Eight have been sold so far. However, I am highly irritated that nobody has seen fit to purchase my most wondrous Wit and Wisdom book yet
I shall have to write a fake review under another name or something.

Jonathan Townsend
Posts: 8322
Joined: January 17th, 2008, 12:00 pm
Location: Westchester, NY
Contact:

Re: Royal road to card magic

Postby Jonathan Townsend » December 24th, 2019, 11:53 pm

performer wrote:...that nobody has seen fit to purchase my most wondrous Wit and Wisdom book yet
I shall have to write a fake review under another name or something.
Up to the page that mentions hintern at the end of a sentence.
- Nobody :)
*happy holidays, performer

performer
Posts: 3510
Joined: August 7th, 2015, 10:35 pm

Re: Royal road to card magic

Postby performer » December 25th, 2019, 6:05 am

Yes. Jonathon. But you purchased the Wit and Wisdom book some time ago. I am psychic and know these things!
Anyway the first review from my Royal Road book has just come in. Here it is on Facebook by a magician who first saw me perform the material nearly sixty years ago! His name is Barrie Segal and we were both members of a Jewish youth club in London.

"I have bought it. I have started reading and just from the first chapter I can see that this is an absolutely marvelous update to this classic book.
The annotations and added photographs are incredibly helpful.
You have created a classic book for all magicians."

MagicbyAlfred
Posts: 1456
Joined: June 7th, 2015, 12:48 pm
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone
Location: Myrtle Beach, SC

Re: Royal road to card magic

Postby MagicbyAlfred » December 25th, 2019, 2:25 pm

Code: Select all

Performer wrote
(on this Forum, on April 17, 2017): "I keep thinking that I should annotate this book and self publish it. I suspect I know this book better than anyone else. I studied it backwards, forwards, zig zag and inside out. It has been the most important book in my entire life."

It appears the seed of thought has grown and blossomed into a full-grown tree (or self-fulfilling prophesy(

performer
Posts: 3510
Joined: August 7th, 2015, 10:35 pm

Re: Royal road to card magic

Postby performer » December 25th, 2019, 4:28 pm

I fulfilled the prophecy because some idiot or other made rude remarks at the time so that annoyed me so much that I determined to finish the job. I should thank him but I bloody well won't.

Incidentally someone left a voice message for me today saying he purchased the book and claimed I "did a fantastic job with it". I can't argue with that........................

performer
Posts: 3510
Joined: August 7th, 2015, 10:35 pm

Re: Royal road to card magic

Postby performer » December 26th, 2019, 5:32 am

Incidentally the word "hintern" that Jonathon mentions refers to a term used by run out workers in the UK. The section in the Wit and Wisdom book appertaining to this is based on this thread on the genii forum.

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=21332&p=149571&hilit=hintern#p149571

magicfish
Posts: 209
Joined: April 12th, 2008, 8:19 pm

Re: Royal road to card magic

Postby magicfish » December 27th, 2019, 9:20 pm

Sounds interesting. But an old acquaintance who was kind to me as a youth at the Toronto Round Table told me not to buy anything published after 1954.

performer
Posts: 3510
Joined: August 7th, 2015, 10:35 pm

Re: Royal road to card magic

Postby performer » December 27th, 2019, 9:53 pm

The Royal Road to Card Magic was first published in 1949.

performer
Posts: 3510
Joined: August 7th, 2015, 10:35 pm

Re: Royal road to card magic

Postby performer » December 28th, 2019, 6:29 am

magicfish wrote:Sounds interesting. But an old acquaintance who was kind to me as a youth at the Toronto Round Table told me not to buy anything published after 1954.


It is important to be kind to young magicians although I certainly don't always practice what I preach. It can have far reaching consequences if you are not. This is a serious subject and I will expand on the matter later.

User avatar
Paco Nagata
Posts: 263
Joined: July 3rd, 2019, 6:47 am
Favorite Magician: Juan Tamariz
Location: Madrid, Spain.

Re: Royal road to card magic

Postby Paco Nagata » December 28th, 2019, 11:03 am

magicfish wrote:Sounds interesting. But an old acquaintance who was kind to me as a youth at the Toronto Round Table told me not to buy anything published after 1954.

I would agree with that if not for taking into account that many old magic gems were published many years after being created, as Jacob Daley's Notebooks by Frank Csuri in 1974, as well as the Works of Lewis Ganson on Dai Vernon's card magic published between 1959/61.
Anyway, I agreed that the very best stuff is always in the "dusty old trunk" of a good magician.
"The Passion of an Amateur Card Magician"
https://bit.ly/2lXdO2O
"La pasion de un cartómago aficionado"
https://bit.ly/2kkjpjn
Latest erratum corrections and improvements update, 16/06/2020.

performer
Posts: 3510
Joined: August 7th, 2015, 10:35 pm

Re: Royal road to card magic

Postby performer » December 28th, 2019, 4:07 pm

I am afraid the old acquaintance in question was not familiar with the 1954 theory at the time of the Toronto round table so alas I am afraid magicfish is being economical with the truth. The gentleman in question became enamoured with the 1954 theory when a silly woman whose name he cannot remember but who was able to do a few magic tricks herself, suggested that he never read a book written before 1954. This was not quite true although not far off. He then decided to proclaim to the world of magic that any book written after 1954 was of no consequence whatsoever. Of course he didn't really believe this but he almost did and in fact still does even though he does possess books of more recent vintage including the ones he has written himself.

Anyway I promised to deal with the more serious matter of being kind to young magicians. When I say young I mean say under 20 years old or so. I do know one chap whose name I will not mention who was terribly kind to a young magician who came back stage to see him after his show. Alas when he saw the same young chap a number of years later he didn't recognise him and wasn't quite so kind to him and in fact brushed him off somewhat abruptly. A bit like me and magic fish come to think of it. I have utterly no idea who he is and do not remember being kind to him. Alas that was then and this is now. When young magicians grow up I tend to be much ruder to them especially if I don't remember being kind to them in the past.

So now let me tell you why you should be nice to young magicians. If you don't then you will likely encourage that nice young magician to grow up a nasty old man like me who detests magicians of all ages, genders and varying talents and lack thereof. If they are bad (as they usually are) he will cringe at their incompetence. If they are good he will be jealous of them.

I have a lifelong disdain of magicians with a few exceptions and sometimes "disdain" is too weak a word. People have often asked me why I dislike magicians so much and I have never been able to think of a reason. In fact decades ago my friend Peter Snow, one of the world's greatest street performers once stated to me, "You say you don't like magicians but you socialise with them all the time. Why?"
I suppose the unsatisfactory answer is that I love magic but I hate magicians. Anyway I have never figured out why I don't like magicians until quite recently. It is because they were unkind to me when I was young.

This post is becoming too long. I will explain later if anyone is interested.

User avatar
Paco Nagata
Posts: 263
Joined: July 3rd, 2019, 6:47 am
Favorite Magician: Juan Tamariz
Location: Madrid, Spain.

Re: Royal road to card magic

Postby Paco Nagata » December 29th, 2019, 5:50 am

performer wrote:I suppose the unsatisfactory answer is that I love magic but I hate magicians. Anyway I have never figured out why I don't like magicians until quite recently. It is because they were unkind to me when I was young.

When I was young (a mean a chil/teen) NOBODY were kind to me as a magician, and that's the very reason I never became a professional.
I met once a good amateur card magician that I hate a lot because of his arrogance and temperament. However, he once told me about his personal experiences, and I started to understand his personality. He had bad experiences with other arrogant and inconsiderate collegues. So, sometimes (many times) our experiences try to change our natural personality.
Don't let that happen.
I never became a professional because I let that happen; I was beaten by my unpleasant experiences.
"The Passion of an Amateur Card Magician"
https://bit.ly/2lXdO2O
"La pasion de un cartómago aficionado"
https://bit.ly/2kkjpjn
Latest erratum corrections and improvements update, 16/06/2020.

performer
Posts: 3510
Joined: August 7th, 2015, 10:35 pm

Re: Royal road to card magic

Postby performer » December 29th, 2019, 7:18 am

Indeed, Paco. Unkindness breeds unkindness (if there is such a word as unkindness----I have no idea).

Anyway, children. Sit tight, make yourselves comfortable and I will tell you a story. Once upon a time I was a 12 year old kid (actually nearly 13 but not quite there yet) living in a children's home in a foreign country. England. We Scots consider England a foreign country after all. I had just come down alone on an 8 hour journey on a train from Glasgow to London. At twelve years old. I had been subject to terrible family trauma in Scotland which has affected me to this day. As a result I ended up in a children's home just outside London. Not really an orphanage but a place for Jewish kids from broken homes, displaced families and other assorted disasters. I was there for about 5 more years.

At some point I wandered into a library near the home and saw a book on a shelf called "Magic as a Hobby". 12 year old (nearly 13) kids like magic so of course I took the book out on loan. I couldn't do a single trick in it. Frustrated I took out another book on magic. Then another, then another until there were no more books left on magic in the small library. I tried to learn the tricks from the books and got some sort of result after showing them to the kids at the home and to the school I was sent to. I had never met a single magician. That horror was yet to come.

I somehow got hold of a catalogue from Ellisdon's a well known supplier of novelties, jokes and magic of the time. There was a book called "The Royal Road to Card Magic" listed. I managed to obtain it and it changed my life. That is why I have an emotional attachment to it. Authors have no idea how much their books can change individual lives and they usually never find out about it. I was probably now around 14 years old at the time and again had never met a single magician. I still remember sitting outside the office of a child psychiatrist waiting to see her while practising the overhand shuffles from the first chapter. I had to see her because I was still suffering from the family trauma. When I went in I had the book in my hand and she asked me about it. She thought it would do me good. She was right. It did. I studied the book with a passion and within months started to get fantastic reactions from the material therein. I was completely self taught and still had never met a magician.

Somebody dragged me to a Jewish youth club which I didn't want to join but in the end I did. One day I started to perform card tricks there and the reaction was FANTASTIC! Unbelievably good in fact and I wanted more of it. And I got it. Night after night at the youth club and day after day at school showing magic to all and sundry, mostly from the Royal Road but from other books as well. Incredibly good reactions that I doubt could be surpassed. And I still had never met a magician.

And then I did. And that is when the rot started to set in.

This is becoming a longer story than I anticipated. Shall I continue?

User avatar
Paco Nagata
Posts: 263
Joined: July 3rd, 2019, 6:47 am
Favorite Magician: Juan Tamariz
Location: Madrid, Spain.

Re: Royal road to card magic

Postby Paco Nagata » December 29th, 2019, 9:27 am

Unfortunately for spanish amateur card magicians, "The Royal Road to Card Magic" wasn't translated into Spanish until 2016!
Nevertheless, and fortunately, here we've had as well very good card magic masters and writers that have created great didactic card magic books. Anyway, thanks to my adventure in the "Scambrit School of English" in Bournemouth I could get into the small group of spaniards that have read The Royal Road to Card Magic. So, I'm happy to be able to say that I understand your feeling about that gem.

performer wrote:Shall I continue?

Yes, please.
"The Passion of an Amateur Card Magician"
https://bit.ly/2lXdO2O
"La pasion de un cartómago aficionado"
https://bit.ly/2kkjpjn
Latest erratum corrections and improvements update, 16/06/2020.

Leo Garet
Posts: 383
Joined: March 14th, 2015, 9:14 am
Favorite Magician: Nobody In Particular

Re: Royal road to card magic

Postby Leo Garet » December 29th, 2019, 10:47 am

performer wrote:Indeed, Paco. Unkindness breeds unkindness (if there is such a word as unkindness----I have no idea).

This is becoming a longer story than I anticipated. Shall I continue?


A separate thread, perhaps, but otherwise, yes please. I can't recall where I got my copy of RRTCM from. It might well have been Ellisdons. If not it was Hamleys on Regent Street. By mail, I might add. This was many years after Mister Lewis, of course.

I'm not Scottish, but I am from the Far Frozen North, which makes me a total yokel and is why, in those heady days, I thought High Holborn was pronounced High Hol born. Not High Ho Bun, or something similar.

performer
Posts: 3510
Joined: August 7th, 2015, 10:35 pm

Re: Royal road to card magic

Postby performer » December 29th, 2019, 3:11 pm

I shall now continue with my saga. Up to this point I had never really met a magician except for three only. One was a chap by the name of Ivor Cole. I believe he is still alive. At the time he was, according to the things I heard, an 18 year old law student. He came to the children's home and did a wonderful magic show. I remember being a bit disappointed that there wasn't that much magic in it but it was a very funny show nevertheless. Probably nobody cared about the lack of magic except me because I was interested in the subject. I spoke to him afterwards and I think showed him a card trick. I do remember he said that I had talent. If he is still around he won't remember a thing about this as it was at least 60 years ago but you never know. I never saw again after that. I should probably make contact.

I also saw two magicians at the Daily Mail Schoolboys and Girls exhibition. One was Joe Stuthard and one was someone else whose name I cannot remember. I have mentioned these two people in my svengali book so I won't bother with that here. Anyway all three of these above people were quite nice to me.

But then later I started to meet more and more of them. And they were NOT nice to me! I couldn't believe the arrogance and condescension they showed to a shy young magician. Well known people in the world of magic too. Ali Bongo, Tony Corinda, Patrick Page, Dick Chavel and probably worst of all Alan Alan. I didn't mind Alan Alan so much because I knew he was nasty to everybody and not just me. They would criticise me and lord it over me. What bothered me at the time was that I KNEW I was three times as good as they were! Not so much with a kid show, or a stand up act on a stage (I learned all that much later) but doing close up magic to LAYMEN I knew that they would not have stood a chance against me, young as I was.

I think the professionals were worse than the amateurs for their arrogance. I still remember John Wade looking down his nose at me at some event where we were both performing saying, "Who are you? Why are you on this show? I have never heard of you before." and then a year or so later when he had forgotten all about me I appeared on Crackerjack which was a top rated British TV show. I was on several times. John Wade saw me at the Magic Circle and yelled over to Billy McComb "Hey Billy, this is the guy who is taking work away from the pros!" I think he was annoyed because they didn't want him on the show any more. But why take it out on me?

I also met Al Koran once who was REALLY obnoxious to me. And lots of other people too. Of course not every magician was like that but too many of them were. And still are if I may say so. Just read the magic cafe if you don't believe me. And of course I am too. But they made me like that. The amount of not so nice types diluted the presence of the nice ones and in the end I hated them all equally for the way the bad ones treated me. So the good ones had to suffer too as a result of it.

But then I became a grafter. This is a profession where love of people is not a requirement and in fact is more of a liability than an asset.
You learn to hate everybody then. And if you are a svengali worker you hate magicians even more since they never buy anything and have condescending looks on their faces when they watch you. As soon as I spotted them I would take revenge on their past sins and take great joy in abusing them.

On reflection I think the rot first set in when I found out where magicians were to be found. My very first experience where I got a bit of a shock was when I went into Davenports and met George Davenport. He was nice enough to me and I showed him a card trick. Of course he had seen a hundred times more magic than I ever had at that stage in my life and was performing it and being surrounded by it all day in his shop so naturally wasn't going to be terribly excited by a 16 year old kid showing him a card trick. However, I was so used to the fantastic reactions I had been getting from laymen that I couldn't believe the lack of response. I never realised at the time that magicians do not react in the same way as laymen. It was quite a shock at the time. Still, at least he was pleasant enough.

But later I met magician after magician after magician who not only didn't react to my magic they criticised and were condescending to me. I found in general they are not pleasant people, perhaps because when young they were treated just as badly as they were treating me. So THAT is why I don't like magicians and in some cases detest them.

Not a good reason of course but then I didn't say it was a good reason. I am merely explaining why I have had a lifelong disdain and distaste for most of them. The moral of the tale is that when you meet a young magician be nice to them. You don't know what they are going through. I do not practice what I preach and in fact young magicians trigger off irritation within me especially when they say "I went to magic camp" and they are often a little arrogant themselves. However, today I am here to do the preaching rather than the practicing. Be nice to the young magician just in case by not being so he ends up a grumpy, bitter old man just like me who has detested most magicians his entire life.

There. Now you know.

MagicbyAlfred
Posts: 1456
Joined: June 7th, 2015, 12:48 pm
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone
Location: Myrtle Beach, SC

Re: Royal road to card magic

Postby MagicbyAlfred » December 29th, 2019, 6:14 pm

Wow Performer, I can see how you may have developed an animosity toward magicians based on those rather yucky encounters. I guess I have been more fortunate for the most part in that the majority I have encountered or worked with have been gracious, respectful people. There have been some exceptions to that, however. My way of dealing with the rude and arrogant ones has been to show them one or more of my special reserve collection of magician-zinger tricks, and if they asked for the method, suddenly "remember" that I was very late for an important appointment, or tell them it was shown to me by a magician friend who swore me to secrecy. One of my favorite things to do, is to announce that I can do a completely "invisible pass," proceed to do Marlo's convincing control on a card touched in the spread, very slowly and plainly riffle the cards, and then show the selection to be on the bottom. Surprisingly, virtually none of these "know-it-all" individuals upon whom I have employed this ruse were familiar with the move, or else did not realize I was doing it. I would do it like three times in a row, and I cannot tell you the fun I have had with it...

performer
Posts: 3510
Joined: August 7th, 2015, 10:35 pm

Re: Royal road to card magic

Postby performer » December 29th, 2019, 8:31 pm

I would far prefer to do the banana trick described in 50 Crazy Card Tricks. I have referred to this before but not described the effect. You require an unprepared banana. The spectator selects a card and you dramatically announce that you find the said pasteboard in a banana which you just happen to have with you. You could of course ask to borrow a banana and garner some amusement from it as he won't have one. Anyway, he (or she) peels the banana to find.........nothing. Not much of a trick so far. However, you recover from your failure by asking the spectator to find the card buried right in the centre.

There. I bet that fooled you. Or at least it would have done if that had actually happened. What really happens is that nothing happens. Still, if at first you don't succeed try, try again. Or as WC. Fields once said, "and then give up before you make a damn fool of yourself!"
However, in this case it is the spectator who make a fool of himself. That is because you now request him to choose either half and when he does so to break that in half and you utterly assure him that this time there WILL be the selected card therein. However, of course there isn't. However, you are not done yet. You announce the grand finale by asking him again which half he likes. Of course it will be a much smaller piece this time so you do not ask him to break it in half as you did before. Instead you tell him to squeeze the selected piece and for the grand finale the card will be there. He does so and of course his hand will be messed up with squished up banana but of course it will be well worth it for the astounding effect.

Of course there is no astounding effect because no card is there. You then simply shrug your shoulders and say sadly, "Oh sorry it didn't work"

THAT is the kind of trick I would perform for other magicians.......................

MagicbyAlfred
Posts: 1456
Joined: June 7th, 2015, 12:48 pm
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone
Location: Myrtle Beach, SC

Re: Royal road to card magic

Postby MagicbyAlfred » December 30th, 2019, 8:32 am

A very (un-a) peeling trick for the victim. But why waste the banana peel? which could be casually dropped in front of the victim's feet, as a set-up for a lovely follow up.

No please, do not do that! It was only a joke (albeit a tasteless one). Besides, then the magician performing the "trick" would really need to be a lawyer (or have a lot of money to hire one) to defend the ensuing legal action.


Return to “General”