Re: Royal road to card magic

Postby performer » February 13th, 2020, 6:27 pm

Yes, there are.

performer

Postby performer » February 15th, 2020, 6:40 am

kkelly wrote:mark,

are there plans for a physical book?

Before I bring it out as a physical book I am experimenting with one of my other books to see if I can figure it out properly. I have just made "The Wit and Wisdom of Mark Lewis" into a hard copy book. Please don't buy it until I obtain the book for myself to see if the quality is up to par. Amazon have approved it so I suspect it is OK but I can't be sure yet. I am pretty awful at this computer stuff and may have made a mess of the whole thing. I had better not put a link to it until I know it is OK.

After that I will then turn "The Lives of a Showman" into a paperback and see how that goes. If, both the Wit and Wisdom book and the Showman book are working out properly then it will be time to do the Royal Road Annotations in physical form. It is too important a book for me to make a hash of it right now until I know what I am doing. I imagine it will be several months before I get around to it.

chetday
Favorite Magician: Jon Racherbaumer

Postby chetday » February 16th, 2020, 2:39 pm

Mark, you're wise to get a copy of Wit and Wisdom to review for errors or problems before making it available to everyone. I've self-published a few books over the years and have been unpleasantly surprised on several occasions when I'd screwed something up that I thought I'd done properly.

Just don't take too long with the Royal Road edition because I'm not getting any younger, and I want a hard copy of that book pretty badly... but not yet badly enough to purchase the e-edition because I want a physical book, by gum. For me, books are like women... I want the real thing, not some android substitute. Of course, at my age, attracting a... oh, nevermind!

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 16th, 2020, 3:55 pm

I'm getting Mr. Jennings Take It Easy ready for layout. The final step, which is where I'm at right now, is putting in the corrections from the three proofreaders. You have NO idea how many times I've been over this manuscript over the past 30 years, and there are still lots of mistakes to be corrected. But it must be done!
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Zig Zagger
Favorite Magician: Aldo Colombini

Postby Zig Zagger » February 16th, 2020, 4:05 pm

Must be part of Murphy's Law that there are always more mistakes in our work than we will ever find on our own!

By the way, I think I've just spotted a typo here: ;)
Richard Kaufman wrote:I'm getting Mr. Jennings Take It Easy ready for layout.
Tricks, tips, news, interviews, musings and fun stuff: Have a look at our English-German magic blog! http://www.zzzauber.com
Advancing the art in magic one post at a time (yeah, right!)

performer

Postby performer » February 16th, 2020, 8:12 pm

The Lives of a Showman had a ton of mistakes that I really hadn't noticed. However, Tom Ransom purchased a copy and showed me a tiny sample of them and they weren't that tiny! I am sure there were a lot more than he found too! I remember one chap who was mentioned in the book refused to buy it because his name was spelled wrongly!

With the Wit and Wisdom book I am more concerned with mistakes in the production rather than the writing copy. I want to see if I have made a mess of technical matters such as putting the front cover on the back by mistake. That sort of thing anyway.

With regard to the Annotated Royal Road I can assure Chet that I am not getting any younger either and will probably drop dead before he does. That will induce me not to waste too much time before it comes out as a physical book. Mind you I have been told that many people are in the habit of buying both the physical copy and the e-book version. I certainly never do but everyone is different.

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby MagicbyAlfred » February 16th, 2020, 10:08 pm

Chetday Wrote: "I want a physical book, by gum. For me, books are like women... I want the real thing, not some android substitute. Of course, at my age, attracting a... oh, nevermind!"

I think you probably underestimate yourself. Anyway, I feel the same way - about both books and women. Reading Chetday's post made me reminisce about the time I had a rendezvous with an extraordinarily beautiful woman at a lovely hotel in San Francisco. But, truthfully, by the time I got done blowing her up, I was too tired to do anything. Then, to add insult to injury, her blow-up husband barged in and beat me up...

BarryAllen
Favorite Magician: Joe Riding & Chan Cansta.

Postby BarryAllen » March 12th, 2020, 6:50 am

Although vehemently against the idea of eBooks, I've just had to purchase Mark's Annotated Royal Road.

The book is a true classic of card magic literature; and anything Mark can add to it has got to be worth a punt!

I'll add a honest review if people think it would help; although it may take a few weeks. I like to read and absorb things properly; rather than give brainfart feedback as soon as something is taken out of the wrapper (something that's oh so evident over at the green place).

I'm actually getting quite excited........about an eBook!

performer

Postby performer » March 12th, 2020, 8:20 am

I would appreciate that. A lot of the books have been sold but apart from the mentions above I haven't heard a thing. Just an ominous silence. I have utterly no idea what the readers of the book think about it. At least Harry Lorayne seemed to like it and gave it a fantastic foreword. That alone is enough to satisfy me even if nobody else thinks much of it!

When you are ready to review it perhaps you could mention it over at the green place. For some odd reason beyond my comprehension I appear to be somewhat restricted over there................

Chris Norris

Postby Chris Norris » July 28th, 2020, 11:37 pm

Where is it available?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

AJM

Postby AJM » July 29th, 2020, 2:48 am

Rolandi wrote:The hard backed printed copy of the Annotated Royal Road to Card Magic is now up and running. It is one hell of a book.

Oh dear, he’s back...

chetday
Favorite Magician: Jon Racherbaumer

Postby chetday » July 29th, 2020, 12:59 pm

I ordered my hard copy of Mark Lewis's Royal Road to Card Magic directly from him with a PM on Facebook on June 29. Just do a search for Mark Lewis on FB and you'll find him right away.

I'm still waiting to receive my copy, but Mark said the company that prints them, because of the Covid-19, is slow getting them out. I hope it doesn't take too much longer because I'm aging by the day and chomping at the bit to dig into this annotated version of one of my favorite card magic books.

With that said, if life works the way it usually does, now that I've whined a little about not yet receiving my copy it'll be in today's mail. If I had ten dollars for every time this has actually happened to me, I'd have enough money to show Hallie Berry a good time. (I've had a crush on Hallie Berry ever since watching her eat hot peppers in this video:

https://youtu.be/VwHwq5W18uY

Return to “General”