Royal road to card magic

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
performer

Re: Royal road to card magic

Postby performer » January 11th, 2018, 8:21 am

Aha! I see the Wilfrid Jonson reference has suddenly appeared by magic no doubt as a result of my remarks above. In that case I should give a little more information for those few of you who own "Mr Smith's Guide to Sleight of Hand". The trick in question is the "Six Coin Trick" and I think is an excellent climax to the Eddie Fechter coins across thing. It is described in Lesson Six of the book.

The paragraph is question states

"Some performers allow the spectator to open his hand and count the six coins himself, and this procedure has been suggested, if I remember correctly, in most previous descriptions of the trick. But it is a very ill advised thing to do and one which may easily lead the onlookers to realise the existence of the extra coin. It is attempting to make the climax too strong, a thing which can often weaken the whole structure of a trick. A good trick should always leave more than one solution to the imagination of the spectators"

performer

Postby performer » January 11th, 2018, 9:11 am

Sometimes I wonder if it should be termed the "too obvious" theory!

lybrary

Postby lybrary » January 11th, 2018, 10:32 am

Perhaps it should be called the 'too divine' theory, because that is what Ted Annemann called it in the April 1935 issue of Jinx:
Having the spectator find the bill when performer has never been close is just too divine, and anyone with as much as one brain will be suspicious and be sure that it can't be the same bill.
From issue #7, the "Lemon and the Dollar". Annemann predates all the other sources.
Lybrary.com https://www.lybrary.com/s-w-erdnase-m-11.html
preserving magic one book at a time

Return to “General”