DVD Backup Strategy

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
Steve Mills

DVD Backup Strategy

Postby Steve Mills » June 23rd, 2016, 11:51 am

(For purposes of this discussion, may we assume that the DMCA allows backing up legally owned DVDs. Thanks!)

I'm getting to the point in my life that downsizing is in my future.

I haven't got a huge DVD collection - 200 or so I would guess - but conversion to digital makes sense. I've gotten behind the curve here and was wondering what others are doing. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

As I looked at this, I really liked the MKV format, for speed and quality given the size and the old standby, Handbrake, still does a great job, BUT no menus. As far as I can tell, converting to in iso and using a virtual player continues to be the only option if menus are to be kept and I find them a necessity for most magic DVDs.

For my collection, a terabyte would probably be sufficient. I'm considering a local 4 TB mirrored setup(I have stuff other than magic) with some sort of cloud storage.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Steve

Ian Kendall

Re: DVD Backup Strategy

Postby Ian Kendall » June 23rd, 2016, 7:21 pm

Are you on a Mac or PC?

I back up my discs using DVD Decrypter, but it's hard to find these days. I then take the files and archive them on a NAS box. They play normally in a DVD player app (just open the .IFO file).

If you have a Mac, someone else should be able to help.

Steve Mills

Postby Steve Mills » June 24th, 2016, 10:33 am

Thanks Ian,

I'm on a PC. I hadn't thought about DVD Decrypter in years. It's amazing that a program, last updated in 2004 I believe, still functions well. It was a regular part of my toolbox for years. Thanks for bringing it up. I'll have to get it out and put it through its paces.

Oh, if you don't mind, is your NAS a RAID box or do you have cloud backup or are you lust willing to live with possible failure.

Thanks again.....

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » June 24th, 2016, 10:50 am

I have two 2TB network drives sitting behind my sofa, linked to my gigabit backbone. I don't use a cloud backup because ugh.

I'm not excessively worried about drive failure; if for some reason things _do_ go pear shaped, I still have all the DVDs, so it's just a matter of transferring them again. I have a whole bunch of downloads, but I can always go and get them again, as well.

Having said all that, I used to run the backups for the fourth largest bank in the world, so I'm not ignorant to the procedures :)

AJM

Postby AJM » June 24th, 2016, 12:14 pm

I bet that bank is no longer the 4th biggest in the world.

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » June 24th, 2016, 1:08 pm

Nope, but that happened after I left :)

In fact, back in 2001, I was responsible for keeping the place open :) Fact.

AJM

Postby AJM » June 24th, 2016, 2:34 pm

I've worked for them for almost 37 years so I'm guessing it's all my fault. :D

Anyway, to get back on topic, I move my files to a NAS drive and keep a copy on a separate external hard drive.

Cheers

Andrew

Doug Thornton
Favorite Magician: David Copperfield, Penn & Teller, Harry Anderson, Derren Brown, Mac King

Postby Doug Thornton » June 24th, 2016, 4:14 pm

I'm no Luddite (or technophobe) but I'm not able to follow this discussion.

This is off-topic but connected: Is it possible to put a download on a DVD?
I have a Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop.
Smiles all around
https://www.facebook.com/groups/SAM161CALENDAR/
SAM 161 - The David Copperfield Assembly
https://www.sam161.com/

Tom Gilbert

Postby Tom Gilbert » June 24th, 2016, 4:56 pm

Doug I believe you can, you can copy it directly and make it like a data DVD. But you might want a number of files to use up the DVD. I've placed downloads on a DVD and or a thumb drive.

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » June 24th, 2016, 8:16 pm

Depending on the format of the download, yes; it's quite easy. You'll need a DVD mastering app, and then you just add the MP4 file as a video clip, and set up a menu as needed. Then compile and burn the project.

MaxNY
Favorite Magician: Jeff McBride

Postby MaxNY » June 26th, 2016, 11:00 am

I work in NYC television Post-Production, my house still has over 1,000 VHS, and about 3,000 DVD's. I don't trust hard-drives.

AJM

Postby AJM » June 26th, 2016, 11:29 am

I wouldn't trust video or DVD.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 26th, 2016, 2:13 pm

I back up on multiple hard drives because I've had DVDs "rot" and develop pin holes in the reflective layer and lock up.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Gordon Meyer
Favorite Magician: Uri

Postby Gordon Meyer » June 26th, 2016, 3:51 pm

Mac users interested in this should investigate "DVDremaster". I use it to convert DVDs for watching on my iPad, but it also has settings that preserve the original format and menus.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » June 26th, 2016, 4:53 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:I back up on multiple hard drives because I've had DVDs "rot" and develop pin holes in the reflective layer and lock up.

Richard: Just curious: were those commercially pressed DVD's that went belly up? (I've had some movies on DVD since the very beginning and I'm wondering if they will eventually go dead.)

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » June 26th, 2016, 5:23 pm

There's a big difference between pressed and burned DVDs when it comes to longevity.

While I've had several burned discs fail (usually after ten to fifteen years), I've had no pressed DVDs fail through old age (scratching is another matter...)

John LeBlanc

Postby John LeBlanc » June 28th, 2016, 1:36 pm

Steve Mills wrote:(For purposes of this discussion, may we assume that the DMCA allows backing up legally owned DVDs. Thanks!)

Let's not assume that.

Whether or not the DVDs are owned legally, there is currently no provision in the law to allow for circumventing DRM protection on a DVD for the purpose of making a backup. It remains illegal to do.

John

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » June 28th, 2016, 2:59 pm

Playing Devil's Advocate, very few magic DVDs have DRM...

John LeBlanc

Postby John LeBlanc » June 28th, 2016, 4:36 pm

There are already a load of exceptions to DMCA. I hope one day soon EFF has success getting an exception for this.

It's ironic that the "C" in "DMCA" refers to Copyright, yet it's circumventing DRM that criminalizes what would be, in this case, perfectly acceptable behavior with respect to copyright law. This is yet another law to get you to your "three felonies a day."

John

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 28th, 2016, 6:02 pm

I've had burned DVDs that have rotted.
I've had burned CDs that have rotted.
I've had pressed CDs that have rotted.

No pressed DVDs yet, but I bet you're going to see it in another 5 years. Multiple backup drives is the only safe way. Screw the cloud.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Steve Mills

Postby Steve Mills » June 28th, 2016, 6:23 pm

Ian Kendall wrote:Playing Devil's Advocate, very few magic DVDs have DRM...

That's totally the point. Thank You!

Why people persist in bringing this crap up is beyond me.

John LeBlanc

Postby John LeBlanc » June 28th, 2016, 6:57 pm

Steve didn't state he has 200 magic DVDs. He stated he had 200 DVDs.

I understand the drivers that caused him to ask the question. Putting your DVD collection on a NAS box sets up your own personal Netflix. Who in his right mind wouldn't prefer that to shelves/racks of DVDs?

He started this with an assumption. The assumption makes perfect sense to reasonable, rational human beings, but it's still wrong and I stated such.

So, yes, there's crap involved.

John

Daniel Bain

Postby Daniel Bain » June 29th, 2016, 12:09 am

I convert many of my DVD's to digital format and stream to my iPad or tv. I usually use handbrake (or similar program) on the Mac to rip the DVD's and often will also create a disk image of the entire DVD using Disk Utility on the Mac.

I highly recommend using a Synology network drive to store manage everything (including other personal files, music, photos and backups). Once you buy the network drive system, you then buy (usually for very good prices) individual hard drives. It's always on and allows you to easily access your entire DVD library (after ripping) from anywhere (whether from home or not) and easily stream and watch remotely from anywhere. Also allows to have a RAID or similar configuration to ensure data integrity.

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » June 29th, 2016, 1:26 am

I too have many hundreds of VHS, and DVDs (TV/Film/Magic) and would love to have them as digital, but the one problem no one has solved to my satisfaction is that making digital copies of my existing media is work. I can't see spending 1000 hours creating digital copies of them all.

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » June 29th, 2016, 2:53 am

Starting from scratch is a daunting prospect! I tend to do things in the background on a different machine (the advantage of having seven or eight computers...). I'll set something going in the corner, and then get on with my life.

I did the same with VHS tapes; set the capture system up, run the tape and come back to it an hour later. There's slightly more work involved, but not insurmountable.

Ironically, ten or fifteen years ago I started to archive my VHS tapes to DVD. Now I'm ripping those DVDs to my NAS :)

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » June 29th, 2016, 8:08 am

I concur with Bill.

I was going to burn all my VCR tapes to digital (and bought a Hauppauge to do it), but the process of creating chaptered DVD's/Blurays is time consuming and not terribly user friendly. Eventually (given L & L's frequent sales) it became easier just to pay the $10 to get the DVD's and dump the tapes.

Now that L &L's electronic service is up and running, I'll probably end up repeating the cycle again as the price drops even lower instead of copying all my DVD's onto my server.

The other thing I have noticed is that while it would be nice to have a personal magic Netflix (to quote Mr. LeBlanc) for road trips, I don''t find it all that arduous to reach behind me and pop a DVD into my computer when I want to watch a DVD. I just spend a lot more time with books than I do video, and digitizing everything doesn''t save me any space since I have to store the DVD's anyway. I'll probably feel differently when they all start to rot...

Steve Mills

Postby Steve Mills » July 1st, 2016, 11:15 am

Daniel Bain wrote:I convert many of my DVD's to digital format and stream to my iPad or tv. I usually use handbrake (or similar program) on the Mac to rip the DVD's and often will also create a disk image of the entire DVD using Disk Utility on the Mac.

I highly recommend using a Synology network drive to store manage everything (including other personal files, music, photos and backups). Once you buy the network drive system, you then buy (usually for very good prices) individual hard drives. It's always on and allows you to easily access your entire DVD library (after ripping) from anywhere (whether from home or not) and easily stream and watch remotely from anywhere. Also allows to have a RAID or similar configuration to ensure data integrity.

Synology gives you a lot of bang for the buck. A 4 TB RAID box for under $400 - not bad.

I continue to come back to by original conundrum. When ripping DVDs like this, don't you lose the menus? Right now I'm just converting to iso's and figure I can rip further at some point.

John LeBlanc

Postby John LeBlanc » July 1st, 2016, 12:36 pm

Based on my list of must-haves, after comparing Synology (which used to be the default choice for years) against QNAP, I went with QNAP. The software packages are comparable, but QNAP offers more CPU cores and upgradable RAM, which is important to me because I use the NAS for more than just storage.

If you're ripping to ISOs, you can load XMBC onto an Intel NUC running OpenELEC, point it to your NAS, plug the HDMI cable into your TV, and go. Full menus, extras, etc. If running other apps -- like Netflix, Amazon Video, etc. -- are important, you can run XMBC on Windows on the Intel NUC.

John

Return to “General”