Michael Parkinson magic show - YouTube

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
Joe Mckay
Favorite Magician: Lubor Fiedler

Michael Parkinson magic show - YouTube

Postby Joe Mckay » March 28th, 2016, 3:52 pm

Just found this on YouTube.

It is the legendary Michael Parkinson BBC magic special from the 1970's. It is the show that has Fred Kaps, Ricky Jay and Richiard Jr all on the same show.

Funnily enough - I was looking for this recently and now somebody has just stuck it up online.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yu8V0opKxgU

Sadly - the picture quality is not great.

Also - this is the first time I have seen Fred Kaps perform - and I am not sure what the big deal is to be honest? Interestingly - I can see a lot of mannerisms that Tommy Wonder picked up from him. They have a very similar style of performance.

Nathan_De_Brett
Favorite Magician: Norm Nielsen

Re: Michael Parkinson magic show - YouTube

Postby Nathan_De_Brett » April 23rd, 2016, 7:14 am

There are a lot of Kaps on Youtube. If you don't rate him, I would suggest watching his FISM winning act and decide from there.

performer

Re: Michael Parkinson magic show - YouTube

Postby performer » April 23rd, 2016, 7:25 am

I also used to wonder what the big deal about Fred Kaps was. He had a nice silent salt act but at the time there were a lot of nice silent acts about. I couldn't get excited about his close up magic either finding it somewhat dull when he performed it at conventions. In fact for a while I called him Fred Kraps. However that started to change when I saw him do the Chinese Sticks which was the best version I had ever seen. And I even started to look at his close up magic with a kinder eye providing he was performing it for laymen. I am very odd in that if a performer does stuff with magicians in mind I get turned off immediately. I hate that kind of thing and it bores me stiff. I did end up liking his off beat style to a degree.

Return to “General”