Coin in Vue Lighter

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
Doomo

Coin in Vue Lighter

Postby Doomo » July 14th, 2015, 8:41 pm

Does anyone here remember the old Bob Chesbro effect. Signed coin in a Vue Lighter. They quit making the lighters about 40 years ago. I am wondering if they are around on the secondary market.

Tony
RFA Productions yeah... It is cool stuff.

www.rfaproductions.com

Jeff Haas

Re: Coin in Vue Lighter

Postby Jeff Haas » July 14th, 2015, 9:18 pm

I think I saw that once at a convention.

For anything collectible like this, set up an alert on ebay. Just search for "Vue Lighter" there and then click the "Follow this search" link at the top of the results. Then log in every now and then to see what people have listed.

submariner
Favorite Magician: steve valentine

Postby submariner » July 14th, 2015, 9:57 pm

One sold on ebay in 2008. That is the only record I found of an ebay sale in searching auction history sites. The one that was sold was a Chesbro Coin in Lighter with routines by Jeff Busby. The auction search site did not list any other auctions that had sold one.

Roy
Key Metric of a Successful Submarine Career - The number of dives and surfaces should always total to an even number.

Steve Mills

Postby Steve Mills » July 15th, 2015, 11:32 am

Tony,

Are you hunting just the lighter, or the complete trick? I believe I can find my lighter, but the gimmick became as yellow and dark as Buzzbee's heart. I'm sure I threw it away.

btw - wasn't there a version with a Tic-Tac box? Probably a ripoff, though.

Brad Jeffers

Postby Brad Jeffers » July 15th, 2015, 4:15 pm

When searching on Ebay, be aware that they are Vu lighters, not Vue lighters.

Here's a link

As you can see, these lighters came with an interesting assortment of items inside.

Tom Gagnon suggests that you buy one that contains the little fishhook, as it can be easily removed with a pair of needle nose pliers.

I don't see why you couldn't just leave the item in the lighter and have the coin appear inside with it. This might actually look better.

The lighter with the little dice would be cool.

Anyway, Tom used to have a supply of shells for the lighter. Maybe he still has some left. If so, you can purchase a lighter and make one of the tricks yourself.

He even wrote a book about this ...

Doomo

Postby Doomo » July 15th, 2015, 8:03 pm

Brad Jeffers wrote:When searching on Ebay, be aware that they are Vu lighters, not Vue lighters.

Here's a link

As you can see, these lighters came with an interesting assortment of items inside.

Tom Gagnon suggests that you buy one that contains the little fishhook, as it can be easily removed with a pair of needle nose pliers.

I don't see why you couldn't just leave the item in the lighter and have the coin appear inside with it. This might actually look better.

The lighter with the little dice would be cool.

Anyway, Tom used to have a supply of shells for the lighter. Maybe he still has some left. If so, you can purchase a lighter and make one of the tricks yourself.

He even wrote a book about this ...

I am aware of the ebay versions. The lighters themselves have not been made in over 35 years. The problems are as such... The fishhook ones can be easily removed. The problem with the fishhook ones is that the dye from the fishhook flys stained the inside of the lighters quite heavily. The dice versions tended to cause dings and scratches on the inside of the clear tanks. The fact that people could not resist shaking them probably also contributed to this.

And then there is the afore mentioned fact that the newest of the lighters are almost 40 years old. Generally they simply don't work. They leak. From the fuel opening. From the fuel release valve. And many other problems.

The outside of the tanks were usually scratched to hell and yellowed.

The ones with advertising plaques inside are "usually" in the best condition. But you don't want the plaques or dice etc on the inside when you do the effect. Bob Chesbro had it easy. he would just buy them in bulk from the manufacturer with nothing inside.

Basically if I wanted one I was going to have to make my own. So a really nice one on the ebay site goes for around 40 to 60 dollars. Some in mint shape go for almost 200.

I then learned how to take them apart and clean them and remove the scratches and yellowing and get them working and remove the advertising plaques and finally get them together again with no leaks.

It has taken me about a year and a half. But the results are pretty nice.

The one in the vid here had a advertisement for a bowling alley in it. It was scratched to hell. It had no flint wheel. Well... Here is what it is like now...

https://youtu.be/9lfkbxdq7Gw

Let me know watcha think.

Tony

www.rfaproductions.com

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 15th, 2015, 9:11 pm

It's nice to know that someone has a lot of free time on his hands!
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Doomo

Postby Doomo » July 15th, 2015, 10:46 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:It's nice to know that someone has a lot of free time on his hands!

Oh Richard I am a prisoner of my obsessions. That is how I keep making new shtuff. When I want something it is usually not something that is easily accessible. Or flat out doesn't even exist in many cases. I currently have over 20 different projects that I am working on. If I wanted one of those lighters the only way I was gonna have one was to make it. Effective? Probably not.

www.rfaproductions.com

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » July 16th, 2015, 12:16 pm

Tony:

I'm sure I have one of these in good condition. If I can fijnd it, I'll send it to you.

Return to “General”