Dannemora Prison Break As A Magic Trick

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
Bob Farmer

Dannemora Prison Break As A Magic Trick

Postby Bob Farmer » June 8th, 2015, 2:47 pm

I'm sure everyone has heard of this:

http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/07/us/new-york-escapees/

In thinking about this, I applied trick brain analysis and have concluded the authorities have it wrong: nobody broke out, somebody broke in. Think of it like magic trick: it only appears impossible because the audience's pov is wrong.

Here's why:

Cutting through the steel walls of the cell, required some sort of massive power tool. There is nowhere something that big could be hidden in a cell that small.

So, there never was a power tool in the cell, it was on the other side of the wall. If that's the case, then a third party, with a battery operated tool (and plenty of battery backups) started by cutting the locks on the manhole cover to gain entry to the sewer system (and this is another clue it was an outside job since how would the locks on the manhole cover be cut from inside when the locks are on the outside).

The prison is undergoing renovations. So the third party, breaks into the contractor's office (secretly) and grabs all the plans, etc., so the route in can be planned. He'd have to have the sewer plans and the plans of the prison--but the prison is so old, I'll bet there are plans somewhere easily accessible.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Dannemora Prison Break As A Magic Trick

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 8th, 2015, 3:06 pm

Bob, you have a new career ahead of you in law enforcement!
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » June 8th, 2015, 3:11 pm

tipping plot points for the second "now you see me" movie?
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » June 8th, 2015, 4:46 pm

My solution also covers another problem: how do you cover up the noise of cutting through solid steel at night?

The reports so far assume it was done at night. There's a video of the New York governor sarcastically asking one of the inmates near the escape cells if the drilling noise kept him up.

However, the best time to do it would be during the day when the legit contractors are already making a pile of noise with what they're up to. It's way too quiet at night.

Plus, the last cut is the most important--the cut into the cell--and you'd do that on the day of the escape, not the night.

Some comparisons have been made to the escape in "The Shawshank Redemption," but "Escape From Alcatraz" or the series "Prison Break" are better matches because those escapes, like Dannemora, were also from ancient prisons with very old infrastructure.

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » June 8th, 2015, 4:48 pm

I'm sure this is a coincidence, but I seem to recall sending a copy of "The Bammo Ten Card Deal Dossier" to one "Floyd Thursby" in Dannemora, NY.

Curtis Kam

Postby Curtis Kam » June 8th, 2015, 4:48 pm

That was my first reaction--And Nobody heard anything? In the middle of the night, as someone was cutting through a steel wall with power tools? The only explanations that come to mind are 1) The contractors were working at night, so that the noise was explained (hard to imagine a logical reason for that, though); or, 2) the inmates all got together and planned a singing contest to cover the noise. #HogansHeroes #SoundofMusic.

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » June 8th, 2015, 4:53 pm

Curtis:

Other ideas to cover the noise:

1. Fly a really noisy helicopter near the prison.

2. Prisoners bang metal coffee cups on bars, while yelling, "Warden! We won't eat this slop!"

3. Metallica concert in adjacent field.

4. Metallica concert in New Jersey.

Daniel Z

Postby Daniel Z » June 8th, 2015, 5:42 pm

Bravo Bob. Bravo.

Brad Jeffers

Postby Brad Jeffers » June 8th, 2015, 6:00 pm

Bob Farmer wrote:Some comparisons have been made to the escape in "The Shawshank Redemption," but "Escape From Alcatraz" or the series "Prison Break" are better matches because those escapes, like Dannemora, were also from ancient prisons with very old infrastructure.

The fictional Shawshank State Prison was loosely based on the Maine State Prison in Thomaston, which was built in 1824. For the film, they used the Ohio State Reformatory, which began construction in 1886.

The State Prison in Dannemora was built in 1844.

All are similar prisons, but the escape itself was indeed more like that made from Alcatraz.

However, like the fictional Andy Dufresne, the real life escapees from Alcatraz had no access to power tools. They used spoons to dig through their cell walls. It took them a year. It took Andy nineteen.

What the use of power tools lacks in romanticism, it makes up for in efficiency.

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » June 8th, 2015, 6:18 pm

CNN also broadcast a comment that the escapees must have had a really long extension cord for the power tools. Extension cords for power tools? That's so 1970s.

For dumb quotient, I think this tops CNN's Don Lemon's black hole theory:

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/d ... laysia-jet

So far, Don has not opined that the prisoners might be missing, not because they escaped, but because they fell into a black hole; however, odds are he is calling the prison right now to let them know.

"Hello Warden! This is Don Lemon, CNN! Have you checked the Messier 74 galaxy? There's a black hole there and I'm sure that's where those guys are!"

Tom Gilbert

Postby Tom Gilbert » June 8th, 2015, 7:31 pm

I'm really glad Bob's on our side and uses his powers for good.

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » June 23rd, 2015, 6:28 pm

Today on CNN, Tom Fuentes, an ex-FBI agent, explained his theory, which, as it turns out, is my theory.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » June 23rd, 2015, 9:46 pm

Fuentes also know a lot of different versions of the Ten Card Poker Deal.

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » June 24th, 2015, 8:55 am

Yes, and they're all in the book. I may have mentioned this before but it's called THE BAMMO TEN CARD DEAL DOSSIER.

brianarudolph

Postby brianarudolph » June 30th, 2015, 9:16 am

Note to future prisoners who decide to treat any escape they're planning as a magic trick: practice, Practice, PRACTICE that bullet catch finale.

Return to “General”