Identity of this "Camp/Gay" magician please

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
TheLovelyDebbie
Posts: 40
Joined: October 15th, 2014, 6:17 am
Favorite Magician: Jerry Sadowitz
Location: Kent

Identity of this "Camp/Gay" magician please

Postby TheLovelyDebbie » October 15th, 2014, 6:32 am

Hi, I was wondering if you knowledgeable folks could help me identify a magician who I saw performing on UK TV last year I don't remember the programme and I have forgotten the Magicians name (It's my age) :) The guy in question was around forty/fifty-ish and had a North American accent, his magic to my eyes was amazing but he played it very camp singing to. and cosy-ing up to his hapless male volunteer on stage, all the while performing some very clever magic and some good dance moves too.....I'm sure there are quite a few gay/camp magicians out there, but this was part of the act. Hope this isn't too vague a description I'd really like to see more of this guy.
Many thanks in anticipation

User avatar
Matthew Field
Posts: 2812
Joined: January 18th, 2008, 12:00 pm
Favorite Magician: Slydini
Location: Hastings, England, UK

Re: Identity of this "Camp/Gay" magician please

Postby Matthew Field » October 15th, 2014, 7:05 am

Sounds like Jeff Hobson. Not gay. Just a buffoon.

Matt Field

TheLovelyDebbie
Posts: 40
Joined: October 15th, 2014, 6:17 am
Favorite Magician: Jerry Sadowitz
Location: Kent

Re: Identity of this "Camp/Gay" magician please

Postby TheLovelyDebbie » October 15th, 2014, 8:35 am

Hi Matt,
Thanks a lot, I've just "googled" Jeff Hobson and it is indeed the very same....I would disagree with the buffoon rating but humor is subjective I guess ;) ....Many thanks for your prompt reply
And the Lion shall lie down with the lamb
But the lamb won't get much sleep

User avatar
Richard Kaufman
Posts: 25073
Joined: July 18th, 2001, 12:00 pm
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand
Location: Washington DC
Contact:

Re: Identity of this "Camp/Gay" magician please

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 16th, 2014, 1:52 am

There are not many gay/camp magicians ""out there" because it has become an offensive stereotype, no different than putting on blackface, or "Chinese" glasses and buck teeth.

Jeff Hobson's act is to be condemned, not praised.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

User avatar
mrgoat
Posts: 4257
Joined: January 17th, 2008, 12:00 pm
Location: Brighton, UK
Contact:

Re: Identity of this "Camp/Gay" magician please

Postby mrgoat » October 16th, 2014, 4:03 am

Richard Kaufman wrote:There are not many gay/camp magicians ""out there" because it has become an offensive stereotype, no different than putting on blackface, or "Chinese" glasses and buck teeth.

Jeff Hobson's act is to be condemned, not praised.


Couldn't agree more.

TheLovelyDebbie
Posts: 40
Joined: October 15th, 2014, 6:17 am
Favorite Magician: Jerry Sadowitz
Location: Kent

Re: Identity of this "Camp/Gay" magician please

Postby TheLovelyDebbie » October 16th, 2014, 6:05 am

Hi,as a new member here I can assure you I didn't mean to cause any offence, what I meant by my post was that I was trying to identify a magician who "acted" camp rather than being a magician who was known to be gay, whether "in or out". To be honest if this guy is straight then he had me fooled. I personally am not offended by his act or his antics. Is it any more offensive than the ridiculous posturings of people like Arnie or Stallone who are acting at the other end of the machismo scale? :|
And the Lion shall lie down with the lamb
But the lamb won't get much sleep

User avatar
mrgoat
Posts: 4257
Joined: January 17th, 2008, 12:00 pm
Location: Brighton, UK
Contact:

Re: Identity of this "Camp/Gay" magician please

Postby mrgoat » October 16th, 2014, 6:41 am

TheLovelyDebbie wrote:Is it any more offensive than the ridiculous posturings of people like Arnie or Stallone who are acting at the other end of the machismo scale? :|


Well obviously yes.

He is a straight man, acting like a camp homosexual.

Arnie and Stallone are straight men, acting like straight men.

It's like doing a blackface act when you are not black.

Most people have evolved past the notion that laughing at someone because they are doing an OTT impression of a camp gay man is funny.

TheLovelyDebbie
Posts: 40
Joined: October 15th, 2014, 6:17 am
Favorite Magician: Jerry Sadowitz
Location: Kent

Re: Identity of this "Camp/Gay" magician please

Postby TheLovelyDebbie » October 16th, 2014, 7:08 am

Like I said earlier, I was under the impression that Jeff Hobson was genuinely gay but was overdoing it as part of his "Schtick". From a personal point of view I consider myself reasonably sophisticated, I don't laugh at drag queens or bluff club comics although I'm probably too old to be particularly politically correct. I make no apologies for finding this act funny. As for Arnie and Stallone's macho posturings the point I was making is that it is an "Act"....I'm sure you are aware that there are many very "Macho" Hollywood actors/action stars who are gay but can't openly divulge it for fear of losing work or being completely shelved. Now that is really offensive.
And the Lion shall lie down with the lamb
But the lamb won't get much sleep

User avatar
mrgoat
Posts: 4257
Joined: January 17th, 2008, 12:00 pm
Location: Brighton, UK
Contact:

Re: Identity of this "Camp/Gay" magician please

Postby mrgoat » October 16th, 2014, 7:41 am

TheLovelyDebbie wrote: I don't laugh at drag queens


Really? There are some brilliantly funny drag queens. Odd thing to say, but anyway

TheLovelyDebbie wrote: I make no apologies for finding this act funny.


No one was asking you to. People were just pointing out that most people find it offensive, horrific stereotyping at its very worst. If you like that kinda thing, fine. It's your life, as S. Da Ortiz would say.

Some people also find racist comics funny.

TheLovelyDebbie wrote:As for Arnie and Stallone's macho posturings the point I was making is that it is an "Act".


Yes. It is. They are *actors*. They play a part. They are not pretending to be massive queens in a magic act. Nor would they do that. Because most people realise getting laughs by pretending to be gay is homophobic at best.

TheLovelyDebbie wrote:...I'm sure you are aware that there are many very "Macho" Hollywood actors/action stars who are gay but can't openly divulge it for fear of losing work or being completely shelved.


No. Can you name any? Obviously back in the day Hudson etc had that problem, but today? No, can't think of a single one. Enlighten us.

TheLovelyDebbie
Posts: 40
Joined: October 15th, 2014, 6:17 am
Favorite Magician: Jerry Sadowitz
Location: Kent

Re: Identity of this "Camp/Gay" magician please

Postby TheLovelyDebbie » October 16th, 2014, 8:05 am

Mr Goat, I seem to have rubbed you up the wrong way...I'm not a racist or a homophobe but like I said neither am I a member of the PC brigade and I happen to find Hobson's act funny. As for Hollywood actors that are gay it is not my place to "out" anybody whether famous or not, no doubt you will say that that proves your point that closeted gay action stars don't exist then OK you win!
And the Lion shall lie down with the lamb
But the lamb won't get much sleep

User avatar
mrgoat
Posts: 4257
Joined: January 17th, 2008, 12:00 pm
Location: Brighton, UK
Contact:

Re: Identity of this "Camp/Gay" magician please

Postby mrgoat » October 16th, 2014, 8:27 am

TheLovelyDebbie wrote:Mr Goat, I seem to have rubbed you up the wrong way...


Not at all, I just find your posts confusing. You state proudly that you never laugh at drag acts, where gay men make jokes in a frock. Yet state equally proudly you find a straight man mocking homosexuality funny.

That's just weird.

TheLovelyDebbie wrote:I'm not a racist or a homophobe


No one said you were as I recall?

TheLovelyDebbie wrote:but like I said neither am I a member of the PC brigade


Ah, maybe it's your age, but there is no 'PC brigade' thing anymore really. It's kind of a Daily Mail nonsense. All that has happened is people have realised that racist, sexist or homophobic acts have no place in the world today.


TheLovelyDebbie wrote: and I happen to find Hobson's act funny.


Yes, you've mentioned that a few times.

TheLovelyDebbie wrote: As for Hollywood actors that are gay it is not my place to "out" anybody whether famous or not,


Ah. That old chestnut.


TheLovelyDebbie wrote: no doubt you will say that that proves your point that closeted gay action stars don't exist then OK you win!


Well obviously it does. You said there are loads of gay actors in the closet in Hollywood but cannot name a single one and pretend that is because you don't want to "out" them? Lolsome.

Do you have some kind of secret membership to the Real Gays In Hollywood club that you would be breaking if you said anything? Or is it just the old rumours about Tom Cruise etc and you've realised you'd just look like a big silly goose saying that?

I really doubt you do, but if you have any gay friends, play them the clip and let us know how they react.

TheLovelyDebbie
Posts: 40
Joined: October 15th, 2014, 6:17 am
Favorite Magician: Jerry Sadowitz
Location: Kent

Re: Identity of this "Camp/Gay" magician please

Postby TheLovelyDebbie » October 16th, 2014, 9:14 am

Ah Mr Goat, I know I shouldn't rise to the bait but much like scratching at a scab I can't help myself....

You state proudly that you never laugh at drag acts, where gay men make jokes in a frock. Yet state equally proudly you find a straight man mocking homosexuality funny.


That was just a (maybe clumsy) shorthand way of saying that I don't find drag acts funny merely because they were stereotyping homosexuals...as for my protestations of not being a racist or homophobe this was because you were implying that I was....and please don't say you weren't


Ah, maybe it's your age, but there is no 'PC brigade' thing anymore really. It's kind of a Daily Mail nonsense. All that has happened is people have realised that racist, sexist or homophobic acts have no place in the world today.


Some people may have realised this but I'm sure that every day up and down the country racist sexist and homophobic acts are going on stage and getting laughs and ticket sales....I really think you're being over sensitive here I fail to see that Hobson's act is homophobic in any way

As for Hollywood actors that are gay it is not my place to "out" anybody whether famous or not,

Ah. That old chestnut.


I must be psychic I knew you'd say that...you only have to do the mathematics. Statistically it would be impossible to deny that there must be homosexual Hollywood action stars


You said there are loads of gay actors in the closet in Hollywood but cannot name a single one and pretend that is because you don't want to "out" them? Lolsome.


I am not about to pretend that I have some masonic insider knowledge to the gay Hollywood underworld....But I am a realist...like I said just do the maths....But we're getting away from the original point....because I happen to find an act funny does that make me a member of the Nazi party? No it doesn't.....Have I ever laughed at a Frankie Boyle joke? Yes .....Oh dear please take me away to have my brain scrubbed clean, and say 40 Hail Marys and a Mea Culpa.

I really doubt you do, but if you have any gay friends, play them the clip and let us know how they react.


Wrong again I'm afraid, I do have several gay friends, male and female and I know they would find Hobson's act funny because they have a sense of humor.....I fear I must now withdraw from this playground squabble as I have to go and sort out Grayson Perry.....



Marketing for Magicians

Sussex Magician
User avatar
mrgoat

Posts: 4124
Joined: 01/17/08 06:00 PM
Location: Brighton, UK
And the Lion shall lie down with the lamb
But the lamb won't get much sleep

User avatar
mrgoat
Posts: 4257
Joined: January 17th, 2008, 12:00 pm
Location: Brighton, UK
Contact:

Re: Identity of this "Camp/Gay" magician please

Postby mrgoat » October 16th, 2014, 10:13 am

TheLovelyDebbie wrote:That was just a (maybe clumsy) shorthand way of saying that I don't find drag acts funny merely because they were stereotyping homosexuals


drag acts do not *stereotype* homosexuality. they ARE homosexuals (at least the ones I've known have been).

TheLovelyDebbie wrote:...as for my protestations of not being a racist or homophobe this was because you were implying that I was....and please don't say you weren't


Er, I wasn't. I said many times that if you find homophobic acts funny, that is totally your prerogative. Then I said similarly people find racist acts funny. That is far from me saying YOU are racist. I am upset you are suggesting that is what I was insinuating.

Homophobia and racism often go hand in hand because both, generally, are based in ignorance.

TheLovelyDebbie wrote:Some people may have realised this but I'm sure that every day up and down the country racist sexist and homophobic acts are going on stage and getting laughs and ticket sales....


Not really anymore, no. Can you find any links to any? People like the despicable Bernard Manning have all but stopped working because today people find racist and homophobic acts in poor taste. Witness the Blackpool homophobic act that got slow hand clapped last year, or the year before, I forget which.

But happy to be corrected if you can show me some links to racist comedians working up and down the country as you suggest happens.

TheLovelyDebbie wrote:I really think you're being over sensitive here I fail to see that Hobson's act is homophobic in any way


Well, looks like everyone but you thinks it is. As I said, you are entitled to your opinion however.


TheLovelyDebbie wrote:Statistically it would be impossible to deny that there must be homosexual Hollywood action stars


Wow that's a good straw man. Of course there are. You said there were loads and they were in the closest because they were scared of being outed as gay. That is what I wanted to point out was a nonsense.

TheLovelyDebbie wrote:because I happen to find an act funny does that make me a member of the Nazi party?


You and your straw men! Of course not. It just means you probably come from a different generation.

TheLovelyDebbie
Posts: 40
Joined: October 15th, 2014, 6:17 am
Favorite Magician: Jerry Sadowitz
Location: Kent

Re: Identity of this "Camp/Gay" magician please

Postby TheLovelyDebbie » October 16th, 2014, 11:00 am

Mr Goat I promise this is going to be my last word on the subject as I'm sure we both have better things to do...

drag acts do not *stereotype* homosexuality. they ARE homosexuals (at least the ones I've known have been).


My point is that Drag acts overly accentuate their homosexuality, no different to Jeff Hobson camping it up.....I know your argument is that Hobson is straight.....So what? it's an act....Would you say that Toby Jones the straight actor deserves to be pilloried for portraying Truman Capote? should straight actors only play straight roles and vice versa....why is a straight man camping it up for entertainment "Verboten" but Paul O' Grady can be outrageous as Lily Savage? That's a very illiberal attitude.

Homophobia and racism often go hand in hand because both, generally, are based in ignorance.


Once again I assure you I am neither racist or Homophobic....Ignorant is another matter

But happy to be corrected if you can show me some links to racist comedians working up and down the country as you suggest happens.


You are being rather selective here...I stated that up and down the country many acts that could be considered sexist, homophobic and or racist are selling tickets....I could point you to any one of hundreds of working mens clubs where the spirit of Bernard Manning is alive and well....Does the name Roy Chubby Brown mean anything to you?....Have you seen Jerry Sadowitz's act? Jimmy Carr? Frankie Boyle?...these people are all in the mainstream and have vast DVD and ticket sales.


Statistically it would be impossible to deny that there must be homosexual Hollywood action stars


Wow that's a good straw man. Of course there are. You said there were loads and they were in the closest because they were scared of being outed as gay. That is what I wanted to point out was a nonsense.


I said there were many and I stand by that....I cannot think of one A list actor in Hollywood today male or female who is openly gay....It's not the outing that they are especially frightened of, but the fact that there careers would practically disappear overnight


You and your straw men! Of course not. It just means you probably come from a different generation.


Hey Mr Goat thats a pretty "Ageist" remark there....people with less of a sense of humour could take offence
And the Lion shall lie down with the lamb
But the lamb won't get much sleep

User avatar
mrgoat
Posts: 4257
Joined: January 17th, 2008, 12:00 pm
Location: Brighton, UK
Contact:

Re: Identity of this "Camp/Gay" magician please

Postby mrgoat » October 16th, 2014, 11:36 am

TheLovelyDebbie wrote:
drag acts do not *stereotype* homosexuality. they ARE homosexuals (at least the ones I've known have been).


My point is that Drag acts overly accentuate their homosexuality, no different to Jeff Hobson camping it up...


Well, one is gay, the other one isn't. Think it through.

I have a feeling you might be trolling me if you REALLY think there is no difference.

Do you think Chris Rock is the same as someone doing blackface too?


TheLovelyDebbie wrote:
But happy to be corrected if you can show me some links to racist comedians working up and down the country as you suggest happens.


You are being rather selective here...I stated that up and down the country many acts that could be considered sexist, homophobic and or racist are selling tickets....I could point you to any one of hundreds of working mens clubs where the spirit of Bernard Manning is alive and well....Does the name Roy Chubby Brown mean anything to you?....Have you seen Jerry Sadowitz's act? Jimmy Carr? Frankie Boyle?...these people are all in the mainstream and have vast DVD and ticket sales.


No links then?

So, you can think of ONE comedian who does racist material. Brown. And he is touring tiny little crap venues.

The others you list I would not call racist acts. In fact, Boyle won a libel case about being called racist, so tread carefully.

So, there aren't really "many" acts up and down the country who are sexist homophobic or racist, are there? Good, that's that one established.

TheLovelyDebbie wrote:I said there were many and I stand by that...


You initially said there were many action stars who were gay but too scared to come out, then when challenged you changed that to many actors hollywood in general were gay. Well, obviously there are.

TheLovelyDebbie wrote:I cannot think of one A list actor in Hollywood today male or female who is openly gay....


Really? You *are* trolling, aren't you?

Ian McKellen
Ellen DeGeneres
Jodie Foster
Stephen Fry
Neil Patrick Harris
Fiona Shaw
Alan Cumming
John Waters
Lindsay Lohan
Gillian Anderson

off the top of my head

list here

http://www.imdb.com/list/ls056609117/

Longer list here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Gay_actors



TheLovelyDebbie wrote:It's not the outing that they are especially frightened of, but the fact that there careers would practically disappear overnight


Nonsense. See above lists.

Fortunately, its 2014 and most people don't give two hoots about someone's sexuality.

TheLovelyDebbie wrote:
You and your straw men! Of course not. It just means you probably come from a different generation.


Hey Mr Goat thats a pretty "Ageist" remark there....people with less of a sense of humour could take offence


You mentioned your age. It would go some way to explain why you don't understand Hobson's act is horrible and why you don't think actors are openly gay. In different times finding homophobia funny was acceptable. As were the black and white minstrels. Happily, times change. Not ageist at all. I'm looking forward to my gay friend's 70th birthday party on Sunday.

:)

TheLovelyDebbie
Posts: 40
Joined: October 15th, 2014, 6:17 am
Favorite Magician: Jerry Sadowitz
Location: Kent

Re: Identity of this "Camp/Gay" magician please

Postby TheLovelyDebbie » October 16th, 2014, 11:43 am

Ian McKellen
Ellen DeGeneres
Jodie Foster
Stephen Fry
Neil Patrick Harris
Fiona Shaw
Alan Cumming
John Waters
Lindsay Lohan
Gillian Anderson


A List Actors?....I would really hate to see your DVD Collection :lol:
And the Lion shall lie down with the lamb
But the lamb won't get much sleep

User avatar
mrgoat
Posts: 4257
Joined: January 17th, 2008, 12:00 pm
Location: Brighton, UK
Contact:

Re: Identity of this "Camp/Gay" magician please

Postby mrgoat » October 16th, 2014, 12:16 pm

TheLovelyDebbie wrote:
Ian McKellen
Ellen DeGeneres
Jodie Foster
Stephen Fry
Neil Patrick Harris
Fiona Shaw
Alan Cumming
John Waters
Lindsay Lohan
Gillian Anderson


A List Actors?....I would really hate to see your DVD Collection :lol:


Yes, A list. Maybe you're just a little out of touch, daddio. Or if you've really not heard of Ian Mckellen, Jodie Foster, Stephen Fry, NPH etc you are either trolling or amazingly out of touch.

Either way, you were wrong. And that is OK. We all live and learn. Today you've learned that people can have a successful career and be publicly gay. So that's progress! Hurrah!

Jonathan Townsend
Posts: 8144
Joined: January 17th, 2008, 12:00 pm
Location: Westchester, NY
Contact:

Re: Identity of this "Camp/Gay" magician please

Postby Jonathan Townsend » October 16th, 2014, 12:51 pm

Anyone doing a Don Rickles approach to mentalism?

camp is usually shorthand for "not going to try to get your date away from you" - see Little Richard remarks from long ago.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

User avatar
Dustin Stinett
Posts: 6888
Joined: July 22nd, 2001, 12:00 pm
Favorite Magician: Sometimes
Location: Southern California
Contact:

Re: Identity of this "Camp/Gay" magician please

Postby Dustin Stinett » October 16th, 2014, 1:27 pm

In my youth, one of my favorite comedians was Foster Brooks. There was no denying the fact that he did the best drunk act ever and it was hysterical—in the 1970s.

By the 1980s, he had stopped doing the act because public drunkenness was no longer considered funny even if clips of his act still make you laugh. (Where does uncomfortable, guilt-ridden laughter fall on the humor scale?)

The point is, his audience moved on and so, like a true professional, he moved on by reinventing himself the best he could. Did he remain a household name? No, but he worked as a character actor—though not a drunk one—almost to the time of his death.

Doomo
Posts: 359
Joined: March 13th, 2008, 3:23 pm
Contact:

Re: Identity of this "Camp/Gay" magician please

Postby Doomo » October 16th, 2014, 2:22 pm

Thank God we still have the French... Does anyone (Besides the French) care if we make fun of them... And of course the Belgians.
RFA Productions yeah... It is cool stuff.

www.rfaproductions.com

User avatar
Brad Jeffers
Posts: 963
Joined: April 11th, 2008, 5:52 pm
Location: Savannah, GA

Re: Identity of this "Camp/Gay" magician please

Postby Brad Jeffers » October 16th, 2014, 2:42 pm

"Your approval is not needed"

Image

billmccloskey
Posts: 169
Joined: June 10th, 2011, 2:11 pm

Re: Identity of this "Camp/Gay" magician please

Postby billmccloskey » October 16th, 2014, 2:45 pm

"A List Actors?....I would really hate to see your DVD Collection"

It is hard to get any more A list than Ian McKellan, our greatest living actor. I consider myself very fortunate to have seen Sir Ian in his prime on the London stage. In the 70's I saw him perform Romeo in Romeo and Juliet.

But you are right. He is not A list. He is A++++ list.

User avatar
mrgoat
Posts: 4257
Joined: January 17th, 2008, 12:00 pm
Location: Brighton, UK
Contact:

Re: Identity of this "Camp/Gay" magician please

Postby mrgoat » October 16th, 2014, 3:21 pm

billmccloskey wrote:"A List Actors?....I would really hate to see your DVD Collection"

It is hard to get any more A list than Ian McKellan, our greatest living actor. I consider myself very fortunate to have seen Sir Ian in his prime on the London stage. In the 70's I saw him perform Romeo in Romeo and Juliet.

But you are right. He is not A list. He is A++++ list.


I saw him in Bent in London (twice) and when he played Iago opposite Willard White's Othello at The Other Place in stratford. I was a teenage goth with crimped hair and eyeliner. I waited to get his autograph afterwards and was so so so moved by his performance when he came out I just cried. He gave me a huge hug. I still, to this day, think me standing there in a Cure tshirt and buckle boots and eyeliner crying over shakespeare must have been an unusual but very satisfying moment for him. The hug was lovely.

He is astounding. His film work is great, but it is NOTHING compared to his presence on stage.

But I still think TheLovelyDebbie is just trolling.
Last edited by mrgoat on October 16th, 2014, 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheLovelyDebbie
Posts: 40
Joined: October 15th, 2014, 6:17 am
Favorite Magician: Jerry Sadowitz
Location: Kent

Re: Identity of this "Camp/Gay" magician please

Postby TheLovelyDebbie » October 16th, 2014, 3:44 pm

Not a troll just someone who came on here to ask what I thought was a perfectly innocent question and met with some reactions that in my opinion missed the point of the question I was asking....As for A list actors ....Please people, Ian Mckellen fine actor though he is would not be seen as an A list Hollywood actor simply because A list means someone whos name above the title will "OPEN" a movie....Like it or not Ian Mckellen isn't one of them....this is not in any way to impugn Sir Ian's acting chops....He is a brilliant stage actor he is NOT an A list Hollywood actor....the rest of the list are character actors good or bad...They are Not and I repeat Not A List actors. (Jodie may have been considered A list once but strangely since coming out has not done anything of note).And there I promise to never post on this topic again rightly or wrongly :)
And the Lion shall lie down with the lamb
But the lamb won't get much sleep

Smurf
Posts: 521
Joined: May 31st, 2010, 11:23 am

Re: Identity of this "Camp/Gay" magician please

Postby Smurf » October 16th, 2014, 4:22 pm

The OP's original point about A-list actors was that an action movie star/macho character, such as Stallone or Schwarzenegger, that was openly gay wouldn't be accepted, not that the entire acting community would suffer from public knowledge of a homosexual lifestyle. Granted her more limited point is open for debate as well, but she wasn't making an industry-wide statement.

User avatar
mrgoat
Posts: 4257
Joined: January 17th, 2008, 12:00 pm
Location: Brighton, UK
Contact:

Re: Identity of this "Camp/Gay" magician please

Postby mrgoat » October 16th, 2014, 4:27 pm

TheLovelyDebbie wrote:Not a troll just someone who came on here to ask what I thought was a perfectly innocent question and met with some reactions that in my opinion missed the point of the question I was asking....


Not really. You asked who Hobson was and you were told. End of.

Then you were told everyone finds his act offensive.

And a trolling you went.

Bill Mullins
Posts: 5185
Joined: January 17th, 2008, 12:00 pm
Location: Huntsville, AL

Re: Identity of this "Camp/Gay" magician please

Postby Bill Mullins » October 16th, 2014, 4:35 pm

billmccloskey wrote:It is hard to get any more A list than Ian McKellan, our greatest living actor.


You have got to be kidding. Our greatest living actor is F-Troop's Cpl Agar, Larry Storch.

I'm surprised that anyone would think differently.

(He's not gay, is he? I'd hate to see his career suffer.)

User avatar
AJM
Posts: 1193
Joined: January 17th, 2008, 12:00 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: Identity of this "Camp/Gay" magician please

Postby AJM » October 16th, 2014, 4:39 pm

As we seem to be going a little off topic now (thank the Lord) the only genuine Hollywood 'A-Lister' in Damian's list is Jodie Foster - the others, while excellent actors, would not be considered as 'above the title' material in Hollywoodland terms.

Damian will disagree, but then he disagrees with everyone pretty much (Oh dear, have I created a 'straw man'? I'm sure I'll find out soon enough...)

With regard to the original topic (which I hesitate to return to) I don't think that only 'macho/action hero' careers could be affected by actors 'coming out'. Some actors work in other genres where similar revelations may have an impact on their careers.

Essentially, while it is indeed true that we live in enlightened times we still have some way to go...

Andrew
Corner-person Begrudger

User avatar
mrgoat
Posts: 4257
Joined: January 17th, 2008, 12:00 pm
Location: Brighton, UK
Contact:

Re: Identity of this "Camp/Gay" magician please

Postby mrgoat » October 16th, 2014, 5:04 pm

AJM wrote:With regard to the original topic


Actually the OT was who is Jeff Hobson.

:)

But I am now 100% sure TheLovelyDebbie is a troll. We shall wait and see how else he contributes to the forum to be sure, but I'd take a wager for a crisp 5 pound note now with anyone.

User avatar
AJM
Posts: 1193
Joined: January 17th, 2008, 12:00 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: Identity of this "Camp/Gay" magician please

Postby AJM » October 16th, 2014, 5:18 pm

A crisp five pound note you say?

At the risk of a stiff talking to by my team of financial advisers I will bite.

A
Corner-person Begrudger

billmccloskey
Posts: 169
Joined: June 10th, 2011, 2:11 pm

Re: Identity of this "Camp/Gay" magician please

Postby billmccloskey » October 16th, 2014, 5:23 pm

"A list means someone whos name above the title will "OPEN" a movie."

What a silly statement. Ian McKellan is one of the most bankable stars anywhere. With a $55 million estimated net worth, 2 academy award nominations, 5 emmys, tonys, countless other awards. He is as A list as it gets. A B list actor does not command the salary that Ian gets. He has also starred in some of the biggest blockbusters in the last 10 years: the Ring trilogy, The Hobbit, and X-men,

Although I agree with Mr. Goat, nothing compared to his live work. I saw him 3 times on stage. Each time was amazing.

TheLovelyDebbie
Posts: 40
Joined: October 15th, 2014, 6:17 am
Favorite Magician: Jerry Sadowitz
Location: Kent

Re: Identity of this "Camp/Gay" magician please

Postby TheLovelyDebbie » October 16th, 2014, 5:29 pm

Actually Mr G I commented yesterday on the Sally Morgan topic if you'd care to check it out. I shall hopefully comment on other topics that I find of interest. Therefore you can stop looking under bridges. Plus you appear to owe me a fiver, I'll settle for a beer the next time I'm in Brighton :D
And the Lion shall lie down with the lamb
But the lamb won't get much sleep

GlennWest
Posts: 59
Joined: April 11th, 2014, 6:05 pm
Favorite Magician: Tyler Wilson

Re: Identity of this "Camp/Gay" magician please

Postby GlennWest » October 16th, 2014, 5:36 pm

At 255:

http://star-currency.forbes.com/celebri ... es?page=10


He just beats out Jon Favreau.

User avatar
mrgoat
Posts: 4257
Joined: January 17th, 2008, 12:00 pm
Location: Brighton, UK
Contact:

Re: Identity of this "Camp/Gay" magician please

Postby mrgoat » October 16th, 2014, 5:50 pm

AJM wrote:A crisp five pound note you say?

At the risk of a stiff talking to by my team of financial advisers I will bite.

A


Give him 10 more posts and if I am wrong I will gladly send you the spondolicks.

User avatar
Richard Kaufman
Posts: 25073
Joined: July 18th, 2001, 12:00 pm
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand
Location: Washington DC
Contact:

Re: Identity of this "Camp/Gay" magician please

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 16th, 2014, 7:27 pm

Obviously there's something fishy about ThelovelyDebbie and his posts.

Famous male and female stars in Hollywood who are still closeted? Quite a few, from what I hear. While some actors (male and female) have come out and not seen their careers go into the dumper, if, say, Tom Cruise or John Travolta came out (just giving two examples of persistent rumors), I would say that their careers would certainly be negatively affected (if Travolta can be said to still have a career) because of the types of roles they play.

It seems to be that comics or comic actors, character actors, and television personalities can come out without any problem. However, A-list stars, that is, a star who can "open" a big budget film without being part of an ensemble, generally don't come out.

There are still plenty of homophobes around the world, as there are anti-Semites, people who hate Catholics, and nutty people who think all blacks should be returned to Africa. Tip of the iceberg.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Still learning
Posts: 29
Joined: February 10th, 2012, 2:08 pm

Re: Identity of this "Camp/Gay" magician please

Postby Still learning » October 16th, 2014, 7:39 pm

How is Jeff Hobson more offensive than the sexist ("blow any part of me") Tony Sagittarius?

Doomo
Posts: 359
Joined: March 13th, 2008, 3:23 pm
Contact:

Re: Identity of this "Camp/Gay" magician please

Postby Doomo » October 16th, 2014, 7:58 pm

Still learning wrote:How is Jeff Hobson more offensive than the sexist ("blow any part of me") Tony Sagittarius?


...And the time to release the hounds was upon us!
RFA Productions yeah... It is cool stuff.



www.rfaproductions.com

User avatar
mrgoat
Posts: 4257
Joined: January 17th, 2008, 12:00 pm
Location: Brighton, UK
Contact:

Re: Identity of this "Camp/Gay" magician please

Postby mrgoat » October 17th, 2014, 6:28 am

Still learning wrote:How is Jeff Hobson more offensive than the sexist ("blow any part of me") Tony Sagittarius?


Image

Still learning
Posts: 29
Joined: February 10th, 2012, 2:08 pm

Re: Identity of this "Camp/Gay" magician please

Postby Still learning » October 17th, 2014, 8:12 am

mrgoat wrote:
Still learning wrote:How is Jeff Hobson more offensive than the sexist ("blow any part of me") Tony Sagittarius?


Image



Should have expected a reply like this.

The question remains.

User avatar
mrgoat
Posts: 4257
Joined: January 17th, 2008, 12:00 pm
Location: Brighton, UK
Contact:

Re: Identity of this "Camp/Gay" magician please

Postby mrgoat » October 17th, 2014, 8:55 am

Still learning wrote:The question remains.


Well. not really, because it seems you are unclear as to what sexism means. I'll help you out kid.

"Sexism is prejudice or discrimination based on a person's sex or gender"

Now, go play somewhere else, the adults are talking.

/me ruffles your hair


Return to “General”