Sarah Silverman and Chelsea Handler on magicians

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Why Sarah Silverman won't **** us

Postby Steve Bryant » May 29th, 2014, 3:31 pm

This was pretty funny last night, Sarah Silverman on Chelsea Lately. Unfortunately the clip is abbreviated as she had additional points to make.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qve-gew1nEk

Brad Jeffers

Sarah Silverman and Chelsea Handler on magicians

Postby Brad Jeffers » May 29th, 2014, 4:27 pm

Sarah Silverman and Chelsea Handler discuss their feelings about magicians ...

SILVERMAN
First of all, men that are attracted to me, at least in essence, are close-up magic magicians. I don't know how to explain it and it just, I can't ... I have like a a racism against magicians, I think.
Not racism, but whatever the word would be. Prejudice. I just... it grosses me out.

HANDLER
Magicians?

SILVERMAN
Yeah, magicians.

HANDLER
Who's into them? I mean what girls are into them ... well some super models are, but they're f*****g stupid too.

SILVERMAN
This is what I feel like.
You want me to believe that you're "magic", and what you've chosen to do with your "power of magic", is ... private parties!?
It fills me with a rage that I'm ashamed of.

HANDLER
You shouldn't be ashamed of it. I mean, I feel that rage.
I agree with you.
All Magicians should be put down.

SILVERMAN
Like ... you learned a trick that I didn't learn.
That's the difference between you and me.
Last edited by Brad Jeffers on May 29th, 2014, 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brad Henderson

Re: Sarah Silverman and Chelsea Handler on magicians

Postby Brad Henderson » May 29th, 2014, 4:28 pm

if she feels that is the only difference - who is to blame? her or us?

Brad Jeffers

Re: Why Sarah Silverman won't **** us

Postby Brad Jeffers » May 29th, 2014, 4:31 pm

Steve, Not knowing that there was a clip available, I transcribed the interview. I went ahead and posted it. At least it has the last couple of lines, which were abbreviated from the clip.

Brad Jeffers

Postby Brad Jeffers » May 29th, 2014, 4:35 pm

I am still attracted to Sarah Silverman. I guess I can't help it, as I am in essence, a close-up magic magician ;)

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 29th, 2014, 5:02 pm

Is this copyrighted material? Where did you copy it from?
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

AJM

Postby AJM » May 29th, 2014, 5:26 pm

I recall Sarah Silverman played a number of high profile shows in the UK a few years back and pretty much died a thousand deaths - not sure if she's been back since.

Brad Jeffers

Postby Brad Jeffers » May 29th, 2014, 5:41 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:Is this copyrighted material? Where did you copy it from?

Richard, I just transcribed a portion of last night's episode of Chelsea Lately, which I routinely record on my tv's dvr.

As I said, I didn't know that a clip of that segment was online, or I would not have gone through the effort.

I hope that my transcription is not in violation of any laws.

I cannot take anymore prison time.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » May 29th, 2014, 6:25 pm

What group don't Silverman and Handler hate?

Brad Jeffers

Postby Brad Jeffers » May 29th, 2014, 6:34 pm

erdnasephile wrote:What group don't Silverman and Handler hate?

Lesbian midgets.

Gordon Meyer
Favorite Magician: Uri

Postby Gordon Meyer » May 29th, 2014, 7:22 pm

Well, she's got a point.

shatteredorbit

Postby shatteredorbit » May 29th, 2014, 10:02 pm

What is her point? I don't see it in the transcript.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bob Cunningham

Postby Bob Cunningham » May 29th, 2014, 10:35 pm

I am so happy to read this interview.

Up until today, I thought Susan Silverman was ignoring me because I was old, fat, broke and married. What a relief!

Tortuga

Postby Tortuga » May 29th, 2014, 11:47 pm

I'm sure I'm in the minority in that I had never heard of that show and barely know of Sarah Silverman. Never heard of Chelsea Handler.

What I will say is that some people have never been privy to a performance by a seasoned pro. So perhaps they view all magicians in a distorted way. I myself have seen magicians that probably fit the description in the video clip. But I know they aren't the norm.

We know, or should know, that not everyone likes magic. Some have a weird, visceral dislike for magicians which even they cannot explain. I knew someone like that. Strange, but it happens.

Michael Skinner was said to be the consummate pro, being perceptive enough to quickly recognize when a patron wasn't into magic. After approaching a table, he could assess the situation. He didn't take offense, just thanked them for choosing the restaurant, smiled and moved on.

I guess I took the thread in a different direction, but I think it is related.
It's never crowded on the extra mile.....

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » May 30th, 2014, 1:09 am

when young people experience great magic, their reaction is joy. Joy is the natural response to magic from an unbiased mind.

when people hate magic they usually have good reason for it --- they saw one.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » May 30th, 2014, 7:53 am

shatteredorbit wrote:What is her point? I don't see it in the transcript.

Apparently she's met some magicians who bring their performing character on dates or worse, home.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Roger M.

Postby Roger M. » May 30th, 2014, 9:23 am

It's a routine being performed by two comedians, not based on any "real life" truth.

Silverman found she could get a laugh by using the words "close-up magician" so she developed a short routine based around slagging that particular group.

Although it's tempting to read more into it than the above, Little of what professional comedians actually say on stage has anything to do with a 100% factual re-telling of a true story.

Comedians take broad topics, and seek the humor in them. They then publicly display the results of their efforts in a gumbo of what they've seen, heard, experienced, etc.

That's all Silverman did, and Handler joined in the fun for a laugh with some additional ad-lib riffing on magicians.

That the "target group" has an opinion on the bit isn't surprising, as comedians often hit exposed nerves of the various stereotypes they focus on in their routines.

Hitting those exposed nerves is - after all - the ultimate goal of the entire process of this particular brand of comedy.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » May 30th, 2014, 10:43 am

That was amazing, is there a book or video that teaches understanding comedy for magicians?

Roger M.

Postby Roger M. » May 30th, 2014, 11:44 am

There might be a book or video Jon, why don't you have a look and report back to us here on the forum.

If you require further information...consider visiting a library.

Jon, I usually don't respond to PM's, but in this case I'm more than willing to council you through understanding what exactly went on when Silverman and Handler were PERFORMING for you on TV.

Gordon Meyer
Favorite Magician: Uri

Postby Gordon Meyer » May 30th, 2014, 12:26 pm

I think her points were clear, and not unique to her, either:

1) The conceit of "being magic" rings false because if it were true, you wouldn't waste it doing tricks.

2) If the performer's attitude is "I can do something you can't do" the performer is an ass.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » May 30th, 2014, 12:49 pm

roger's point is undercut by the he fact that magicians are lampooned almost anytime they are referenced in popular culture.

the notion that magicians are out of touch, social misfits had to come from somewhere - and I don't think it's a pr conspiracy funded by a secret group of stamp collectors or origami folders.

comedy is funny because in its exaggerations we see the truth.

shatteredorbit

Postby shatteredorbit » May 30th, 2014, 1:04 pm

Jonathan Townsend wrote:
shatteredorbit wrote:What is her point? I don't see it in the transcript.

Apparently she's met some magicians who bring their performing character on dates or worse, home.

Ah, Silverman is cast in the movie with NPH ... Now the connection to magic is clear. While NPH may not be her source material, she does tap into the standard trope that Fitzkee lampoons in Showmanship for Magicians

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » May 30th, 2014, 1:32 pm

Roger M. wrote: Little of what professional comedians actually say on stage has anything to do with a 100% factual re-telling of a true story.

True.

But I wouldn't be surprised to find out that Chelsea Handler does screw a lot of comedians.

MManchester

Postby MManchester » May 30th, 2014, 1:58 pm

Brad Henderson wrote:roger's point is undercut by the he fact that magicians are lampooned almost anytime they are referenced in popular culture.

An interesting exception is Eminem who included a brief reference in the first single off his most recent album. From Berzerk: "Like a magician, critics I turn to crickets."

You can hear it in the following video. The reference starts approximately 3 seconds after the video begins playing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=359na4Ne ... lpage#t=21

Used to be able to get video to embed, didn't work this time. :cry:
Michael Manchester
Literacy magic for library and school performances - http://www.librarylegerdemain.com

KHC

Postby KHC » May 30th, 2014, 4:03 pm

It's that darn oversized, pewter "Royal Flush" or "Hat and Hare" belt buckle that is so painful or just plain hard to unfasten during the heat of passion... ;)

Great thread. Definitely an embellished comedy routine to get a rise...akin to comedians making fun of their parents, siblings, spouse...anything is fair game...all to to get that evanescent laugh. I love Silverman's sense of humor.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » May 30th, 2014, 4:07 pm

@KHC - it looked like she flinched/shifted when that personal topic about dating famous people came up. She adjusted, talked about Handler's sitting position ... check 0:55 to 1:10 then about 2:00 she starts to respond to Blaine and magicians.

KHC

Postby KHC » May 30th, 2014, 8:07 pm

Jonathan...I believe one of those "famous" people that she dated was Jimmy Kimmel...that explains why there is a dearth of magicians on his show.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » May 30th, 2014, 8:33 pm

She was with Matt Damon for a while as well. And he can't get on Kimmel's show either--at least on the air.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » May 30th, 2014, 9:06 pm

Sarah Silverman was in the movie "The Aristocrats", and her version was kinda weird.

Rick Ruhl

Postby Rick Ruhl » May 30th, 2014, 9:44 pm

Of course, the result of this is bringing close up magicians to the forefront , and I bet a bunch of her viewers thought "hey, that would be cool, having a magician a my next party"

There is no bad publicity anymore.! We are now infamous... ;)

Greg Edmonds
Favorite Magician: Walt Disney

Postby Greg Edmonds » June 2nd, 2014, 1:17 pm

I can relate. Though I'm not a Silverman fan, her take on magicians isn't far off the mark for many people, men and women alike. Why? Because the majority of magicians are still, and shall always remain, in the "I fooled you; you're an idiot" category, and bring no story-telling or genuine presentation skills to light in their "work" at all.

I performed, three or four decades ago, for the staff of a psychiatric facility (I did a show for patients separately). One woman there refused to participate in the program or watch the proceedings, so great was her hatred of magic. I spoke with her in some detail later, and as I guessed, she was turned-off by the challenge aspect she perceived in all magic presentations, whether they were there or not (Slydini, you'll recall, was great at this, but didn't work much for lay audiences, comparatively speaking). Del Ray, on the other hand, was a contemporary who knew how to play to real people (as an example). I was blessed to see them both perform in front of both magicians and lay audiences.

All of this said, with rare exception, starting in high school, I would essentially interview potential girlfriends (I used paid assistants too, of course) about their interests in theater, and performing in general. My wife of 30-plus years now became our box-jumper-in-chief in the illusion show we performed for malls and corporations way back then - she did this for five years BEFORE we got married. So, obviously, there are some exceptions to the women disliking magic rule.

Unless most magicians change their performing perspective, there's little chance of negative attitudes regarding magic to change.

Return to “General”