Odd Ball 2 / Body Language / Lie Detector? Who owns these?

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
Head Games
Favorite Magician: Tommy Wonder

Odd Ball 2 / Body Language / Lie Detector? Who owns these?

Postby Head Games » May 5th, 2014, 2:22 am

I am at a toss up for which of these I should get, Or if I should make my own out of a crown royal bag and some marbles and a steel ball bearing.

I wasn't impressed with the reviews of odd ball. But then I saw odd ball 2, and the set actually looks pretty nice.

I was also looking at body language, The props look at little prop-ish, but the method is different because of the PK ring.

So im not really sure what the pros and cons are for both if I decide to either go by PK or by weight.

another issue was if I were to make my own, and use lets say 1 inch marbles, and then a 1 in steel ball bearing, if 1) the weight would be enough contrast. And 2) if the texture and feeling of the balls would raise any red flags in the spectators minds as they were feeling around inside of the bag.

Even more so, If the method for odd ball would raise any suspicion as is, Im guess that if you have your hand in a soft bag with these balls, you would notice that the "odd ball" is heavier than the rest. Is that an issue. Also if it is heavier than the rest, I am guessing that is more likely to sink to the bottom corner of the bag and possibly get picked last most of the time. (not sure if that matters)

And with body language, I'm not sure if it is really that much better, having to take the bag back into your other hand each time a ball is taken so that you can feel the bottom and check to see if there is any magnetism between the ball and ring.

Odd ball 2 is 45 bux, and Body language is like 90 bux.

I could buy some marbles and a crown royal bag for pretty cheap.

Not sure if there is any advantage to buying the "set".

Any info about these products or assembling your own would be lovely.

Thanks!

Brad Henderson

Re: Odd Ball 2 / Body Language / Lie Detector? Who owns thes

Postby Brad Henderson » May 5th, 2014, 11:04 am

have you thoroughly explored Maven's Kurotsuke (sp?) - it is the original on which these variations are based. As Tommy Wonder clearly pointed out, many effects lose impact when 'improved' in order to make them 'easier.'. I use the scare quotes because Maven's original is self working in a sense, but it does require performance and presentational skills in order to convey a deceptive experience.

Head Games

Postby Head Games » May 5th, 2014, 3:19 pm

I started off playing with his method, I just didn't like that you don't know who has the black ball / stone. you know who has 3 (Of 4) of the white balls. Which leaves you guessing on the final white ball and the black one. That just doesn't fit what I am trying to use it for. I am using it in conjunction with another routine, so I need to know who exactly has the black ball. Which either leaves me with 2 of the methods above, or getting some expensive electronic apparatus which I cant afford right now. Also dont want to rely on electronics.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » May 5th, 2014, 6:32 pm

cut a hole in the back of the bag and cover it with clear plastic or a mesh material. hold up the bag at eye level and just watch as their hand reaches in and takes the balls.

Head Games

Postby Head Games » May 5th, 2014, 6:36 pm

Brad Henderson wrote:cut a hole in the back of the bag and cover it with clear plastic or a mesh material. hold up the bag at eye level and just watch as their hand reaches in and takes the balls.

eekkk. Thats BOLD! haha. I might have some angle issues as they will be on stage with me. Ill toss the idea around and see what I come up with.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » May 5th, 2014, 6:51 pm

it's ok that they are on stage. warren Stephens used this for a multiple ball location matching routine. you would be surprised how well it works

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 5th, 2014, 7:10 pm

I always thought "Odd Ball" was that great version of Grandmother's Necklace developed by Harry Roydon in the 1950s.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » May 5th, 2014, 7:20 pm

it is

after Max released his trick many people began devising 'improvements'. personally I don't see how any of them were - but that's beside the point. With quick to market ideas come poorly thought out titles.

Gordon Meyer
Favorite Magician: Uri

Postby Gordon Meyer » May 6th, 2014, 6:35 pm

Right, Odd Ball was the little red ball in a clear plastic box. Man, I sold a bunch of those at the Fun Shop. I think ours was made by Fun, Inc, if I remember correctly. Something about the little box really made it mystifying.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 6th, 2014, 7:18 pm

Yes, that's Harry Roydon's trick. A great item.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Return to “General”