Magic Magazine Digital versus Genii

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
mrmagik68
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Re: Magic Magazine Digital versus Genii

Postby mrmagik68 » April 30th, 2014, 8:04 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:Jeff, that's not true with Genii. We'll continue to provide both print and digital and people can chose one or both.

Richard,
Does this mean that if I want a digital-only subscription to Genii (no printed magazines), this is possible? If so, is this available now or are we talking in the future? Thanks!

Roberto

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 1st, 2014, 12:10 am

You'll have your answer very soon.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » May 1st, 2014, 10:45 am

Joe Mckay wrote:I agree with Steve Bryant. Paper is the best technology ever invented.

With music - you have to play it on something. So it makes sense to trade in a record player for a cassette player. And then years later the cassette player for a CD player. And then trade in the CD player for an MP3 player and so on...

But with paper - the hardware and software are already combined in the same product.

Reading a book on a tablet just complicates the process and introduces a step which was not there before. You are separating the hardware from the software - and then recombining them at a later date.

As opposed to buying the material which is already combined (at the hardware/software level) and ready to go.

I think ebooks have their place - but I prefer to see them used for archiving material such that it makes it easier to organise and search.

I think it is useful that it makes it easier for unknowns to get tricks into print - since it meas the occasional gem makes get released which might otherwise be overlooked.

The downside is having to work through the avalanche of crap at the same time. Nevertheless - I think most experienced magicians can filter out the rubbish.

I agree--during a recent power failure, it sure was nice to be able to pull hard copies off the shelf to enjoy.

As energy prices invariably increase in the future, I sometimes wonder if some far in the future rationing will lead to a greater appreciation of paper once more. (Don't laugh--I still remember that horrible odd/even thing in California during the 1980's Oil crisis).

Arcato

Postby Arcato » May 1st, 2014, 12:22 pm

I just tried out the "new" digital format that Magic Magazine offers... wow this is a GIANT leap backwards. I really liked the old digital version of Magic Magazine, because the layout was different than the print edition, which to me was more organic on the iPad. And of course offline reading is one of the MOST IMPORTANT features ... and this doesn't work; also zooming in on the articles only works to a very small degree and is practically useless; if they don't fix this, they can't lure me with the additional content they offer on M360... I'll definetively stick with Genii.

Gordon Meyer

Postby Gordon Meyer » May 2nd, 2014, 12:39 pm

So basically the MAGIC "digital edition" is just a website? Definitely sounds like a step backwards.

Magic Randy

Postby Magic Randy » May 3rd, 2014, 10:15 am

I have some of the Magic issues on the iPad using their iOS app. This app is no longer listed on the iTunes store. When I followed up with Magic, this is what they said.

"Are you referring to the iPad app that we've been offering for the past 3 years?

That version of the magazine is actually being phased out. The last issue to appear on that platform was the April 2014 issue.

In the coming months, we will be introducing an app for iOS that'll allow you to view magazines on your device directly, but for now you can access the magazines on your iPad via the Safari browser."

Return to “General”