Selling off a domain name

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
erlandish

Selling off a domain name

Postby erlandish » January 27th, 2014, 11:54 pm

Don't want to step on any toes, so I'm not going to actually list the domain name itself until I've got verification from the mods here at Genii that it's ok to do so.

Anyways, it took long enough, but I'm in the final stages of getting off the internet (insofar as magic is concerned -- I'm keeping my personal page for business reasons, but anything to do with blogging or what-have-you is getting binned). I've got a magic-related domain name that I'm not really doing much with, and I figured maybe I should offer it up for whoever here at the Genii forum might get some use from it, rather than let it expire and get parked on by some domain-hoarding entity.

So... erm... how should I proceed? I didn't know if the Marketplace was the right area for it, and I was basically going to say "make me an offer" which I think also goes against the rules of that part of the boards anyway.

Like I said, I didn't want to post anything concrete until I knew what was proper. Any mods got preferences for how I should proceed? If you prefer I not do that here, that's totally cool, I can go make it available at Reddit or whatever.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Selling off a domain name

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 27th, 2014, 11:57 pm

You have to put a firm price on it and list your full name, address, phone number, and email address in the post.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

erlandish

Postby erlandish » January 27th, 2014, 11:59 pm

Richard, thanks for the prompt response.

When you say a firm price, does that mean a price listing plus "or best offer" would be inappropriate here?

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » January 28th, 2014, 1:50 am

You're selling http://sleightly.com ? Or something else?

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 28th, 2014, 1:57 am

No "make an offer" or "best offer" or anything like that. You must state the price you are selling the item for. Clean and simple.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » January 28th, 2014, 6:21 am

I've found that most of the time people think a domain is valuable, when it isn't. Not suggesting you are of that ilk, just saying.

Best places to sell are sedo and flippa.

R.E.Byrnes

Postby R.E.Byrnes » February 7th, 2014, 2:31 pm

As noted above, domain names overwhelmingly sell for essentially nothing, and yet a ridiculous number of people believe they are sitting on massive riches.

Brad Jeffers

Postby Brad Jeffers » February 7th, 2014, 3:48 pm

You can get a free appraisal HERE and see the top sellers HERE.

The appraisal for Genii.com is $12,000

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » February 7th, 2014, 4:56 pm

Brad Jeffers wrote:You can get a free appraisal HERE and see the top sellers HERE.

The appraisal for Genii.com is $12,000

Anything that uses Alexa data is useless.

Kent Gunn

Postby Kent Gunn » February 7th, 2014, 5:38 pm

Goatster,

You're making illogical conclusions again.

Just because somebody is using Alexa Data doesn't mean their website is useless. It means they have no idea how many people are using their website or how long they're staying.

Just sayin' (relying on toolbars as your only input source . . . really.) (Like I know about this stuff, geeky computer-pal went off on this topic two nights ago . . . )

Oh, B.D. Erlandish, Andrew, Burnaby Kid, whoever you are this week, what's the freaking hostname you're pimping and how much do you want for it?

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » February 7th, 2014, 6:38 pm

Kent Gunn wrote:Goatster,

You're making illogical conclusions again.

Just because somebody is using Alexa Data doesn't mean their website is useless. It means they have no idea how many people are using their website or how long they're staying.

Just sayin' (relying on toolbars as your only input source . . . really.) (Like I know about this stuff, geeky computer-pal went off on this topic two nights ago . . . )

Oh, B.D. Erlandish, Andrew, Burnaby Kid, whoever you are this week, what's the freaking hostname you're pimping and how much do you want for it?

It's not JUST Alexa they use to calculate domain value, it's also bids on Adwords. Very accurate whe appraising domains.

:)

Return to “General”