Dodgy magic photos

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
Barefoot Boy
Favorite Magician: Kreskin

Re: Dodgy magic photos

Postby Barefoot Boy » October 16th, 2013, 10:52 pm

Personally, I don't see the photo as "creepy" either, but I DO see how others might find it a tad "uncomfortable".
Outward sunshine; Inward joy,
Blessings on thee, Barefoot Boy.
www.mindreader.ca

kenscottmagic

Postby kenscottmagic » October 17th, 2013, 11:41 pm

Well i have to comment. I have been performing this since 96. The photo was me in 1999. I have sold these since in 99. The photo was taken with my best friends son. Now having said that I have performed this routine thousands and thousands of times since 96 and never ONCE had a parent say one thing bad about it in fact I often have parents ask me if I am going to do it when booked at their event (they apparently saw me before to ask that).

Looking back the photo i don't like it. When i see newspaper photographers at my show i ask them ,pretty much tell them, not to take pictures of this routine and explain why. And the reason is if people don't see the routine they only see a man behind a kid and a picture will not tell the whole story or in this case what the routine is.

Thanks for your comments. You may think the photo is creepy but trust me I am not. :)

Best
Ken Scott

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » October 18th, 2013, 8:54 am

R.E.Byrnes wrote:Baffled by the suggestion that there's something untoward about the photo. No only would I be unbothered if my daughter were in it, I'd be at a loss to know what I ought to be outraged or, to use the go-to term of right now, 'offended' about.

Baffled? I'll explain. It is because the performer's genitals are in very close proximity to the child's buttocks.

After the immense scandals recently in the UK about kids' performers in the 70s at the BBC seemingly all raping kids, maybe it's more impactful an image for Brits...

RobFromNZ

Postby RobFromNZ » October 19th, 2013, 7:11 am

kenscottmagic wrote:When i see newspaper photographers at my show i ask them ,pretty much tell them, not to take pictures of this routine and explain why. And the reason is if people don't see the routine they only see a man behind a kid and a picture will not tell the whole story or in this case what the routine is.

I think that's right. Photo's can capture a moment in time that doesn't give the full story. I think a number of these routines depend on the performer. I would never use magic to 'steal a kiss' (as so many Youtube card magicians seem to), nor would I do a routine standing behind a spectator in close proximity. There's a bunch of reasons including (a) I'm married, (b) I'm not a touchy-feely guy, (c) local culture and custom, etc etc.

A line said by one performer is hilarious. The same line by another is creepy. That same line again quoted in print can look terrible.

RobFromNZ

Postby RobFromNZ » October 20th, 2013, 6:56 am

It's all about how you pose, really...

Return to “General”