Announcing "Mathematical Card Magic: Fifty-Two New Effects"

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
Card Colm

Announcing "Mathematical Card Magic: Fifty-Two New Effects"

Postby Card Colm » September 18th, 2013, 9:03 pm

My book "Mathematical Card Magic: Fifty-Two New Effects" was recently published by AK Peters/CRC Press. Foreword by Max Maven. 380 pages, full colour.

13 main chapters, with 4 effects each.

52 new mathemagic principles too (no, they don't match up one to one with the effects).

Huge potential for inventing your own effects using some of these.

Largely original material (80%?), that being developed since 1999. Earlier versions of much of the contents appeared online as Card Colms at maa.org. See http://cardcolm-maa.blogspot.com/ and http://www.maa.org/community/maa-column ... -card-colm

Material is better organized in the book:-) It includes a new treatment of the Gilbreath Principle in Chapter 6, palindromic magic in Chapter 7 (the middle chapter, natch), and generalizations of Gilbreath shuffles of new types in Chapter 8, building on old work of Fulves and new results of Hostler. Stop press: the three pile rosette shuffle has finally given up some of its mysteries.

Chapter 3 is all poker hand effects (and there are lots more scattered throughout the rest of the book). Given ten cards from a genuinely shuffled deck, there's a 98% chance I can make you get a losing hand. Or a winning one. And you make all the choices too. Outcome can be predicted in writing ahead of time.

Guaranteed no effects depending on disguised addition or subtraction, casting out 9s, or dealing into three piles (all old, boring and done to death!).

Click on Description, Table of Contents, and Reviews tabs here for more info: http://www.crcpress.com/product/isbn/9781466509764

A sample of Chapter A (the first chapter) is linked from this NYT article: http://wordplay.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/ ... um-2/?_r=0

The book gets a thumbs up from Art Benjamin, Ron Graham, Persi Diaconis, Lennart Green, Brent Morris, Jon Racherbaumer, Pete Winkler, Chris Morgan and others.

It's much less technical mathematically than Diaconis & Graham's wonderful "Magical Mathematics," having been written for a more general audience (lay and magician).

Says Max Maven: "in the early 1900s there began a new blossoming of mathematical magic, via such brilliant inventors as Charles T. Jordan, Stewart James, Robert Hummer and Martin Gardner... Colm Mulcahy has joined those ranks." (thanks for the kind words, Max!)

Lennart Green: "Colm has invented many important and practical mathematical principles and tailor-made them for card magic. He’s a skilled teacher and creator, and with his book in hand you’ll be able to construct lots of new effects. A must for your magic library."

Jon Racherbaumer: "Colm not only provides lucid exposition of how certain mathematical principles work, but he also clearly describes subtle performance pieces that entertainingly illustrate them. Then, to boot, he drills down as to why they work. In other words, he gives you the ‘body’ of everything, plus its ‘x-ray.’ Highly recommended."

Art Benjamin: "Mathematical Card Magic is filled with many original ideas that will keep mathematicians and magicians busy for a very long time."

FYI: though long Atlanta-based, I'm in the DC area through 2014.

Please see http://www.cardcolm.org and follow @cardcolm on Twitter.

And if you love Martin Gardner, please follow @WWMGT and tell your friends to do the same.

Thanks for reading this far.

Richard Hatch

Re: Announcing "Mathematical Card Magic: Fifty-Two New Effec

Postby Richard Hatch » September 19th, 2013, 8:08 pm

Colm, this looks fantastic! Looking forward to it! Congratulations on the book.

Carlo Morpurgo

Postby Carlo Morpurgo » September 19th, 2013, 8:38 pm

Sounds really good....I love math ;) AND magic...

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » September 19th, 2013, 8:59 pm

Please send a copy to Genii for review!
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Card Colm

Postby Card Colm » September 19th, 2013, 9:34 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:Please send a copy to Genii for review!

My people have already been in touch with your people on this very topic!

Thanks for the interest.

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » September 25th, 2013, 8:07 am

My copy just arrived here in the northern outback and I spent a very pleasant evening combing through it. It's a great book even if, like me, you are a complete math moron. There are very few really good books on this subject and this is one of them. There's even stuff on the "Ten Card Deal," so I'm more than a satisfied purchaser.

Also, physically, this is a very handsome book: thick paper and color throughout. A great job all round.

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » September 25th, 2013, 8:31 am

Just received my copy from Amazon U.K.

Matt Field

Return to “General”