Genii digital content

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
Steve Cobb

Genii digital content

Postby Steve Cobb » June 25th, 2013, 5:29 pm

I went to the Magic shop today and purchased Genii and Magic like I normally do.I thought about the digital content extra that Genii provides for their subscribers.
This content is unavailable to me through Genii, unless I am a subscriber. I go to my local magic shop every month and buy the issue. Why am I penalized for this? With Magic I can get access to the digital extras by going on line and proving I purchased the issue, why can't I do the same with Genii? This has been bothering me for a long time.

Tom Stone

Re: Genii digital content

Postby Tom Stone » June 25th, 2013, 5:55 pm

Since when is it a punishment to get exactly what you pay for?

Subscribers takes a risk when they pay for a whole year ahead, they don't know if the magazine will fold after a month, or if the contents will suck, or anything. For taking that risk, they are rewarded with a bonus that is unavailabe to those who plays it safe and wait until the issue is out. If you want the bonus, you are welcome to subscribe. If not - don't say that you are getting punished when you get exactly what you pay for.

Ted M
Favorite Magician: Dani DaOrtiz

Postby Ted M » June 25th, 2013, 5:57 pm

A subscription is (a) a commitment to buy, (b) paid in advance to the publisher. The commitment to buy helps the publisher a great deal when sizing the print run, and the money up front gives the publisher a lot of economic flexibility.

Subscribing helps the publisher massively more than buying single issues at the shop.

I am happily subscribed to Genii through autumn of 2016, and I love the full archive access via AskAlexander. (Not to mention the chance to buy a BOOK for $15 with a 3-year subscription!)

Steve Cobb

Postby Steve Cobb » June 25th, 2013, 6:20 pm

I don't have a problem subscribing. I was comparing and contrasting how Magic does it. You prove that you purchased that specific month's issue and like Magic you gain access to the digital content. Maybe Genii can entertain a similiar thought.
The real reason I buy at the shops is it gives me a reason to go to the magic shops. I realize that I am old school, but that's what I do. In fact several shops in my area recently do not carry Genii or Magic, I live in Chicagoland. Thanks for explaining the ins and outs of a subscription to me Tom, but I disagree that I took a much bigger risk actually driving to the shop with almost $5.00 gallon of gas, Automated traffic cameras, crazy drivers etc.
It makes me sad though, I know whats going on and how hard the shops have it presently. I believe in a few short years the Magic Shop will become like the Eight track tape. "Grandpa whats a magic shop?"

Jeffrey Korst

Postby Jeffrey Korst » June 25th, 2013, 6:51 pm

There is no perfect way.

Magic magazine annoys me because I have to dig out the physical issue. It's not always easily available--if I'm even home. The Genii archive can be accessed anywhere. Both ways make sense to their respective publishers.

But I still subscribe to both and have no intention of dropping either.

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » June 25th, 2013, 7:06 pm

I believe Richard once mentioned that he makes almost no profit from sales of Genii from brick and mortar stores. I could be wrong, but I don't believe it's terribly profitable for the stores either.

lybrary

Postby lybrary » June 25th, 2013, 7:38 pm

Steve actually mentioned why it is in general profitable for a magic retail shop to carry magazines. It brings in some customers. There is a reason to drive to the shop to pick up the magazine. And I would bet that many pick up a few other things as well. So the magazine brings them in and once they are in the shop they are likely to spend more.

What do they call these items? I think loss leaders or something similar. The magazine itself might not be profitable to the shop, but the other stuff he or she might buy are certainly worth having the magazine available.

A similar reason also makes it profitable for the publisher. Having magazines in retail shops is a way to find subscribers. They might buy a few individual issues, and if they like them sufficiently they will probably subscribe. So even if these individual issues are not profitable for the publisher, in the bigger picture they are one way to increase subscriptions which is very good for the magazine.
Lybrary.com Magic & Gambling
preserving magic one book at a time

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 25th, 2013, 7:43 pm

MAGIC magazine does not give you all (or any!) of its back issues.

Genii gives all of its back issues going back to 1936 to subscribers.

MAGIC magazine does not give you the digital version of its magazine when you subscribe to the paper. You have to pay almost double to get both the paper and digital issues.

Genii gives all subscribers the digital version of its magazine for FREE. Any tablet, any smart phone, and any computer. You can download it and take it with you (the biggest request is that people do not want to have to be online).

We can't afford to give all of that to those who purchase Genii at magic shops: we don't make a dime on those issues. We sell to magic shops as a service to them (so they can carry something their customers want) and as a service to our advertisers.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Steve Cobb

Postby Steve Cobb » June 25th, 2013, 8:48 pm

Richard:

I understand what a super deal it is to subscribe to Genii, its the best magazine of it's kind in the world.

All I'm suggesting is perhaps with the purchase of an individual issue, if it would make sense to provide them the extra digital goodies for that month only. Not the whole archive and everything else.

That way everybody's happy, guys like me will have a reason to go to the shop. As well as the 11 year old kid
who buys an issue and checks out the digital extras on his smart whatever device, and convinces his parents to either go back to the shop next month or subscribe. Maybe they live in Whoville. Now what happens?

Andres Reynoso

Postby Andres Reynoso » June 26th, 2013, 11:53 am

I was subscribed to another magazine for 4 years (not magic one) I used to receive my paper issue and gradually I started to find into the articles "to learn more..." "more content..." "watch photos...." "...go to the digital edition". Digital is only for android and ipad, not desktop neither phones, and you have to purchase the digital issue or take a digital subscription. I mean, even as a subscriptor I haven't access to that extra content, I need to take a double subscription or take only the digital one and doom to disapear the paper edition.

Frankly I think Genii offers so much extra content no other magazine gives, in any niche. And as Richard has said, he is doing a great effort to mantain alive the physical edition.

Maybe we must see the extra content as a price to the subscriptors, not as a punishment to the single issues buyers. Just remember some years ago the access to all the back issues via Ask Alexander had a price in its own and was a different subscription. I think near 3 years ago the access was granted for free to all regular subscriptors. It's a great gift!
Andres Reynoso

kevinm

Postby kevinm » June 28th, 2013, 1:43 pm

Is the Chief Genii considering a digital-only subscription option to USA customers?

Moving soon and my box of Genii mags is heavier than most of my other boxes. That's not the primary reason I am asking, but if it is an option to overseas customers, why not offer it to USA customers?

Andres Reynoso

Postby Andres Reynoso » June 28th, 2013, 2:34 pm

Maybe we must see the extra content as a price to the subscriptors

Sorry, ortographic error. I want to say "Maybe we must see the extra content as a priZe to the subscriptors"

Price isn't the same than prize
Andres Reynoso

mrmagik68
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby mrmagik68 » March 22nd, 2014, 3:14 am

I'm with kevinm on this one, I think it would be great to offer a digital only subscription to US customers as well. I've been debating on renewing due to the thought of piling up more magazines but Genii is such a great publication that I think I'm going to renew just for the digital issues.

Do you guys think the public library would be a good place to donate my hardcopies of Genii?

Roberto

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 22nd, 2014, 11:30 am

I am listening to all of your comments. Thanks.

MJE
Favorite Magician: Craig Karges

Postby MJE » March 23rd, 2014, 11:25 pm

mrmagik68 wrote:I'm with kevinm on this one, I think it would be great to offer a digital only subscription to US customers as well. I've been debating on renewing due to the thought of piling up more magazines but Genii is such a great publication that I think I'm going to renew just for the digital issues.

Do you guys think the public library would be a good place to donate my hardcopies of Genii?

Roberto

A public libary would only use them as fodder for the ongoing fundraising book sale. Then they would get thrown out when they don't sell for 10 cents per issue. Sad, but that's the likely way it would go.

If you want to donate them, I suggest that you find a local magic club. They can raffle them, and the winner would have some appreciation of the content.

-MJ

mrmagik68
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby mrmagik68 » March 25th, 2014, 1:04 am

MJ,
That's a great idea. I'd feel better if they fell into the hands of someone who will really appreciate them. However, I can't help but imagine a young boy/girl running into a copy of Genii at a public library and then getting bit by the old magic bug. Perhaps I can donate a few to my local library and the rest I'll donate to a local magic club. Thanks for the suggestion!

Roberto

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » March 25th, 2014, 1:25 am

Libraries do not want magazines: they throw them out to make room for DVDs.

Return to “General”