Vegas Magic Shows

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
Gene B

Vegas Magic Shows

Postby Gene B » January 1st, 2013, 10:48 pm

I will be in Vegas next week for the CES. Looking to attend some shows---Any feedback on David's "Intimate Illusion Show" at MGM?

Any other new shows?

Thanks,

Gene

Ristiharju

Re: Vegas Magic Shows

Postby Ristiharju » January 1st, 2013, 11:24 pm

Its been almost 2 years since my last Vegas visit but I guess most hasnt changed since then.

When I was there I have to say that Copperfield wasnt doing too well. His show is good, but all the stooged shouting, preselecting volunteers and such dont really work well if the room is only 1/3 sold out. Also it was almost as if he was on robot mode or on autopilot. Doing all the actions and saying his pattern but he just wasnt there mentally and it was obvious. It could have been just a bad night though. Everyone has those... But at 90$ ticket one would expect more :( I saw him in Finland in the late 90s with Dreams and nightmares tour and he was spectacular.

Paul Vigil is a must see at wendsdays at King Ink Mirage. Show is around 60mins of close-up and mindreading. Really good and strong magic, likeable personality that reminds me of his teacher Armando Lucero a bit. And the show is free!

Mac King is other one that is must see. He does 2 shows a day, 13:00 and 15:00 at Harrahs. He isnt voted best comedy magician in the world by Magic magazine for nothing. Almost no stock lines, all coming from situation or from his character and master lesson in show structuring. Cant even recount how many callbacks he has in his show. Best magic show I have seen along with Lance Burton. Tickets are even free if you happen to get a some sort of coupon but at most 35$.

Penn&Teller in Rio are also fantastic. They have only 5 shows a week and in rather large theatre. I would try to get a ticket in a good place. Their tickets usually arent in sales or at least the discount isnt too big so might as well pay full price and get a good seat. They tend to change lot of routines in and out so its good show to see again as well. Seen it twice (Late 2009 and early 2011) and they had changed around 5-6 routines. Tickets around 60-90$.

Criss Angel is hated by many and Believe got really really bad reviews when it came out. I saw it in 2011 and it wasnt nearly as bad as I was afraid it was gonna be. Actually I am not ashamed to admit that I enjoyed it a lot and even more than autopilot Copperfield on that particular trip. Angel didnt seem like a jerk he is on his tv show but more humble and gracious that people had come to see him. Sold out show btw. The show still has its problems like repetive illusions but at least once you have seen it live, you have a right to judge him to other magicians based on his live show and not on tv show that is shot in ridiciliously fast phase. You can usually get tickets to Believe for a good discount at tix4tonight stands thruout the city.

Nathan Burton is also good show. Some nice original moments. Especially if you havent seen lot of him in youtube or television. And both times when I saw it 2009 and 2011 the tickets were like 10$. Definately worth to see at that price.

Rick Thomas I saw 2009. It was okay show. Nothing spectacular but not really that bad for 30$ either. Illusions, big cats and so on. Woudnt be my first pick but if one is staying like a 2 weeks its worth to see.

Steve Wyrick isnt in town anymore I think. His show was actually also really good when I saw it 2009. Yes, you could see the Copperfield influence or even copying if one wants to call it that but it was enjoyable show. Only really 1-2 box illusions and rest mostly mega illusions. The worst part was his sam the bellhop. Hard to imagine that if he had done it five times a week, +40 weeks a year, and his card handling was still so horrible... :D

And sadly Lance Burton isnt there anymore :/ His show was the best classical magic show I have seen. The man just had unbelievable charisma. And not really a single "box illusion" in the show. The stage and theatre on the other hand were in a good use ;)

Sincerely

Juha-Matti

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 2nd, 2013, 12:20 am

David Copperfield's show is in the process of having new illusions go in quite often. Most of it will be changed shortly. Some of the new items I've seen, and they fool the crap out of everyone including me. There is no stooged shouting, or pre-selected volunteers. The shows are generally completely full these days. David is fully engaged and excited to be putting new material in. Not to be missed.

Mac King's show is great, but you should know that all of his seemingly impromptu lines are well rehearsed and are the same at every show. His brilliance as a performer is making you believe it's the first time he's saying these things. Not to be missed.

Everyone says Criss Angel's show is the worst. Universally the worst. Definitely to be missed.

Lance Burton was the magician I saw on auto-pilot for the last few years of his show. No choice but to miss this one.

Penn & Teller's show changes often and is very very good. They will fool you badly. But the whole structure is weakened because they close with the Bullet Catch, which is a very weak effect in my opinion (I mean, use your head: is anyone really going to let someone shoot a gun at his head every night? NO.) So it's just boring to me. Not to be missed, but you'd be better off leaving just when the Bullet Catch starts--you'll have a much better opinion of the whole show afterward.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » January 2nd, 2013, 7:35 am

Good to see that Copperfield is dropping the pre-selecting and pre-showing of volunteers. It might add some spontaneity to the show.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 2nd, 2013, 11:10 am

All volunteers in David's show are now selected randomly by tossing Frisbees or big beachballs into the audience.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Gene B

Postby Gene B » January 2nd, 2013, 11:54 am

Thanks Richard for the insights and info--most helpful!!

Happy New Year!

Gene

Return to “General”