Deceptive Practice: The Mysteries and Mentors of Ricky Jay

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
Bill Mullins

Re: Deceptive Practice: The Mysteries and Mentors of Ricky J

Postby Bill Mullins » May 8th, 2013, 8:49 pm

Doug Thornton wrote:Hey gang, I rewatched this and somehow the clip of Al Flosso with Ed Sullivan was cut, I'm guessing for copyright reasons.

To make up for the missing clip, view this.

Anthony Vinson

Re: Deceptive Practice: The Mysteries and Mentors of Ricky J

Postby Anthony Vinson » May 9th, 2013, 9:32 am

Drove into Atlanta yesterday from my exurban paradise specifically to see the film and it was well worth the trip. I've been a fan and admirer of Ricky's since seeing him perform on various talk shows and variety shows during the 1970s. Of course I also recall his appearance on Doug Henning's second (I believe it was) special as well as an episode of Saturday Night Live.

This is definitely a film for magicians and magic lovers. As a huge fan of the band Rush, I equate Deceptive Practices to the 2010 documentary Rush: Beyond the Lighted Stage, in that both films concentrate on the person rather than the performer, and provide insight, depth, and color into the character and development of the person(s) who eventually became the performer.

I doubt that anyone who frequents this forum would regret making a trip to see this film if it's playing within driving distance. Two thumb tips up!

Arcato

Deceptive Practice: The Mysteries and Mentors of Ricky Jay

Postby Arcato » April 5th, 2014, 5:49 am

Hi,
does anyone know if this documentary will be available on Blu-ray or a PAL formatted DVD for viewing in Europe? It's not available on the German iTunes store and we don't have Netflix yet...
Thanks,
Uwe

Return to “General”