Yetmah's Thumb Tie

Discuss general aspects of Genii.

Yetmah's Thumb Tie

Postby Guest » January 24th, 2006, 7:23 am

Hi everyone. I am searching for a copy of the Genii magazine article "Yetmah's Thumb Tie" from August 1967 by Earl Violet. I was doing genealogy research on Earl when I came across a reference to this article. Earl Violet was a magician in St. Louis, MO, in the 1930's, and he died in Kansas City, MO in 1975. My mother thinks he may have had more than one article published but she does not know if they were all in the Genii. I would appreciate any information, suggestions or leads. Thanks.

Re: Yetmah's Thumb Tie

Postby Guest » January 24th, 2006, 6:05 pm

The article you are looking for was in Charlie Miller's "Magicana" series, as I recall. I have originals of all that series. I think the article was called "The Two Tricks That Took Yettmah Around The World". One WAS the "Thumb Tie". And, Earl Violet is a well-known name among oldtimers. Charlie mentioned him often in his columns. Let me know how to get the material to you and I will dig up whatever I can...

Best, PSC

David Ben

Postby David Ben » January 24th, 2006, 6:15 pm

Nancy, I have a pretty good idea of who Earl Violet was, and his magic circle through the 30s and 40s. What type of information are you trying to uncover? It might help me narrow it down.

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » January 24th, 2006, 7:02 pm

I too have the issue you are interested in. According to it, Cyril Yettmah was an English performer who died in 1930 when struck by a car while crossing the street. Of the two "tricks that took him around the world," Earl Violet describes Yettmah's Thumb Tie, as -- I think it is Earl's voice here, not Charlie Miller's -- "taught to me personally by Yettmah on the occasion of Thurston's 1930 visit to St. Louis." (I've no idea what the connection was between Thurston and Yetthmah.) The other trick, not described by Earl Violet, was Yettmah's Turban Trick.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 24th, 2006, 8:29 pm

Yettmah was one of John Northern Hilliard's favorite magicians. You can find more on Yettmah in the "More Greater Magic" part of my reprint of Greater Magic. I believe Yettmah's Torn (or cut) and Restored Turban trick is in my edition of the Notebooks of John Northern Hilliard.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

David Alexander

Postby David Alexander » January 24th, 2006, 11:33 pm

I have a vague memory of reading something about Chas. Carter (Carter the Great) hiring Yettmah away from Thurston to get the secret of Iasia. I believe Yettmah developed a better version of the effect and that's what Carter wanted. The competition for illusions that could be billed as major theatrical attractions was big.

I can't recall where I read this about Carter "stealing" Yettmah away, possibly in the Carter material when I was working with it in San Francisco in the mid-1960s.

John Pezzullo

Postby John Pezzullo » January 25th, 2006, 5:33 am

Originally posted by Steve Bryant:
According to it, Cyril Yettmah was an English performer who died in 1930 when struck by a car while crossing the street.
Legend has it that when they tried to remove Yettmah's body from the scene of the accident, his thumbs were tied together and they were looped around the car's front fender.

Postby Guest » January 25th, 2006, 8:23 am

Good line!
Steve V

Return to “General”