Edd Patterson - Children's Entertainer dies at age 92

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
Gene Voshell
Favorite Magician: Johnny Thompson, Ash Adams

Edd Patterson - Children's Entertainer dies at age 92

Postby Gene Voshell » May 19th, 2012, 1:01 am

[img:center]http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm36/Magic1_016/EddPatterson.jpg[/img]
[size:26pt]EDWARD S. PATTERSON[/size]

Edward S. Patterson, 92, of Shrewsbury, New Jersey and Bristol, Rhode Island, died May 13, 2012.

Edd was known professionally as Edd Patterson, The Magic Artist. He had an illustrious career as a childrens entertainer, presenting stage programs in schools for many decades. His programs were endorsed by thousands of school administrators and parent groups throughout the eastern United States.

Edds live school shows for young people numbered more than 18,000 programs, and in sheer numbers equaled or surpassed most other performers of his time on the American platform. He was considered an entertainer with an educators point of view by teachers, administrators, moms and dads; his presentations won the unqualified approval of young audiences from Connecticut to Florida.

Edd was noted for his fine publicity material, personally designed for each new season. His numerous new programs each year, along with his props, employed the finest artistic quality.

Edds career began as a young boy when he worked as an assistant to Don Rose, and continued with his own large stage show until he eventually dedicated his life to childrens entertainment. His shows always included chalk drawings, puppetry, magic, music, and (often) sand paintings. In 2008 he was the subject of the book Edd Patterson: A Lifetime of Magic and Art, by William V. Rauscher.

During World War II Ed served in the Army Air Corp. as historian and entertainer. Stationed in Kearney, Nebraska he hosted a popular variety show radio program called Party Time on the Army Air Base.

During his retirement, painting scenes and still life in water color, and caring for his dog Sandy and his cat Rosie, became an important part of his life.

Edd especially enjoyed attending the Yankee Gatherings and the IBM Conventions, two important magic events. In the IBM he held the position of Order of Merlin Excalibur.

Edd will be sadly missed by his family and friends in the magic community. He is survived by his wife Virginia, daughters Donna and Susan, Susans partner Taki, and grandchildren Amanda, Brendan and Connor. A memorial service will be held in September. In lieu of flowers donations may be sent in his name to the Bristol Animal Shelter, 10 Minturn Farm Road, Bristol, RI 02809. Those wishing to share thoughts may do so by email: stochardlabs@aol.com or donna@stochard.com.

Submitted by Gene Voshell, obit written by William V. Rauscher. Philadelphia Vicinity
Last edited by Gene Voshell on May 19th, 2012, 10:32 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: Type size adjusted

Andrew Pinard

Re: Edd Patterson - Children's Entertainer dies at age 92

Postby Andrew Pinard » May 19th, 2012, 9:49 am

Edd Patterson was a remarkable performer, artist and gentle soul who, while relatively unknown to the magic community, made a solid living entertaining hundreds of thousands of children in schools throughout the northeastern United States for over sixty years. Each year he created a new show and in each he featured many pieces of "allied art" such as chalk talk, sand pictures, troublewit and puppetry. While he performed mainly for children, his performances were truly enchanting and the gentle and warm way he presented his art transported all. He loved his audiences and what he did; and everyone who saw his programs loved him for it.

A devoted husband and father, he used magic to provide for his family but also loved to share his passion for the art with other performers. As recently as last year, he traveled from his home in Bristol, RI to Pigeon Forge, Tennessee to share his philosophy and experience with up-and-coming magicians. He was humble about his career and gratified by the interest in his life and work.

The book on his life and career, <i>Edd Patterson: A Lifetime of Magic and Art</i> (written by William V. Rauscher) chronicles his life and experiences while sharing some of his creative work. I highly recommended it as a wonderful resource to performers interested in working for family audiences.

I was privileged to have spent some time with Edd over the last two years in person and on the phone. He was very smart, quietly funny and exhibited excitement in my work and we shared many hours discussing performance approach, character, routines, performing philosophy, audience and prop management (and how the two are <i>not</i> the same), magic history, and magic as art. I didn't get to spend nearly as much time with his as I wanted (life has a funny way of getting in the way), but I truly cherish the time we spent together and will carry the lessons I learned from Edd for the rest of my life.

My thoughts are with his family as they reflect on and celebrate the life of their father and grandfather.

Return to “General”