Magic & Arthritis

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
RobertSmith

Magic & Arthritis

Postby RobertSmith » January 29th, 2012, 4:37 pm

I'm interested in talking to other magicians who struggle with performing while managing their arthritis.

A decade ago I was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis. For those unaware, psoriatic, unlike rheumatoid, typically attacks your outermost joints; fingers, wrists, toes, ankles. It is not systemic as rheumatoid arthritis is which can attack anything and everything from soft tissue in joints to heart, lungs, kidneys etc.

My arthritis has long prevented me from becoming proficient at traditional sleights and finger flicking. I've had to adapt to perform magic that requires less dexterity and focus more on the entertainment value.

Anyone else have any experiences like this?

-Robert

David Prouty

Re: Magic & Arthritis

Postby David Prouty » January 29th, 2012, 8:43 pm

Hi Robert, I also was diagnosed with Psoriatic Arthritis at age 35 (in 1995), and have experienced all the classic symptoms (joint stiffness and swelling, occasional skin problems, and worst of all, deformation of the fingernails). The nail issue all but prevented me from performing close up magic for nearly a decade, simply because I was extremely self conscious of my disease.

In 2007, everything changed for the better when my rheumatologist started me on Humera, which I self inject once a week, and I must say, my LIFE has turned around, my Psoriatic Arthritis symptoms have totally VANISHED (complete remission)... I no longer have finger nail issues, or swollen joints, and my magical interests and goals resumed ... So there is hope!

Please feel free to email me if you would like to converse more ...

Best Regards,

David Prouty
Houston, Texas
daprouty@gmail.com

RobertSmith

Postby RobertSmith » January 31st, 2012, 12:27 pm

Hello David,

Thanks for your reply. I was diagnosed in 2004. It was not exactly the bright spot for my life as I'm sure you understand.

I'll be in touch via eMail soon. Thanks for sharing your story.

-Robert

IrishMagicNews

Postby IrishMagicNews » January 31st, 2012, 3:06 pm

As somebody looking in from the outside it creates a lovely feeling reading this thread.

I think it was Jon Racherbaumer who said, and I paraphrase "In the brotherhood of magic there is sometimes more hood then brother."

Certainly not in this case.

B

PS Jon if you read this I would love you to post the actual quote.
Brendan

News, Lectures, Societies & Magic in Ireland
http://www.IrishMagicNews.com

Shenanigans the irish magic convention 2-4 May 2014 Dublin
http://www.IrishMagicConvention.com

DrDanny

Postby DrDanny » January 31st, 2012, 3:27 pm

More power to Mssrs Smith and Prouty. I suspect quite a few of us are close behind you. I've been lucky so far -- only my memory seems broken, and it only occasionally.

Rob Block

Postby Rob Block » February 2nd, 2012, 11:47 am

I was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis early last year. It was only affecting my right hand at that point, but it was making slights like classic palming a coin almost impossible. I was referred to a good rheumatologist who put me on Humira. Within a few months. My symptoms were completely gone. I am now only having to have an injection every three weeks. I'll be glad to join the support group as well.

Rob Block

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 2nd, 2012, 12:02 pm

Great topic, Robert--thanks for starting it. I think there are lots of people in our field in the same situation.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » February 3rd, 2012, 1:55 am

Both of my wrists are shot with arthritis, the Dr. said they are too far gone for any help other than to wear wrist braces. I can take them off for short periods of time.

Getting old isn't for sissies.
Stay tooned.

RobertSmith

Postby RobertSmith » February 3rd, 2012, 5:50 pm

WOW. Sorry for my absence for a couple days. Dad and I are working feverishly on a new project.

Glad to see I'm not alone out there. At the same time, sad to see so many affected.

Many here have mentioned Humira. (I've been on Enbrel)

If you all haven't heard, you might want to follow up to be sure your knowledgeable.

Many of the biologics are getting ready to go off patent paving the way for generic. These are being referred to as, "bio-similars."

Of course for some of us that's no big deal and could mean much relief in the pocket book as these biologics can run $1,500+/month at retail with copays in some cases reaching several hundred dollars/mo.

With these drugs going off patent, I'm frankly extremely nervous.

Here I am with a drug therapy that gave me my life back and the boat is about to get rocked big time. Crossing fingers. (Well, those that can be crossed still)

The one thing I can say is that magic has actually helped keep my dexterity in my joints.

I'm not able to do the cool flourishes and finger flicking stuff. Such a shame as a good flourish well placed can make a trick really magical.

However, the silver lining is I've been forced to focus on entertaining an audience and not just doing technical magic.

Great replies y'all. Thank you.

RobertSmith

Postby RobertSmith » February 3rd, 2012, 5:54 pm

I was diagnosed in my 20s so being a sissy definitely isn't an option for me.

Hugh Castell

Postby Hugh Castell » February 5th, 2012, 1:19 am

Thank god for modern medicine. There are several different types of inflammstory arthritis and a number of different symptoms with inflammation of various joints being common to all types. Probably someone who has not experienced a severe episode of inflammation cannot imagine how bad the pain can be. The pain can be crippling and certainly if the upper extremities are involved it is impossible to perform. Also, arthritis causes joint deformities that certainly can effect sleight of hand. Unfortunately, until fairly recently, medication was only marginally effective in relieving pain and did not prevent joint destruction. Then biological medications were discovered such as Robert and Rob mentioned-Humira,Enbral and Rimicade. These are miracle medications that relieve all symptoms and even can prevent joint destruction. I have suffered repeated episodes of rheumatoid arthritis since I was in my 30's. Fortunately, I also had long periods when I was symptom free. In my early 60's inflammation came to stay. Enbral and then Humira stopped the pain and gave me back a normal life including being able to continue to do magic. No pain-great gain! I have some finger joint distortion which leaves me with "windows" and a frozen left thumb that dictates I do Charlier cuts with my right hand, but basically I'm still a close up kind of guy. Unfortunately, these biologic medications are very expensive and simply unaffordable to some. Fortunately, I have good med coverage. They should be less expensive when they come off patent and, don't worry, Robert, despite what Big Pharma says, the generic versions will be just as good and regulated by the FDA.

That was a wonderful article about Rene Lavand in the February issue of Genii. Certainly Lavand and Turner prove there is almost always a way to continue to make magic.

Hugh

Bill Marquardt
Favorite Magician: Pop Haydn

Postby Bill Marquardt » February 7th, 2012, 4:02 pm

My only problem is pain at the base of both thumbs, a condition I have been told is called DeQuervain's Disease. I have had this for years with no worsening, I find that practising coin and card sleights seems to help keep my hands limber. I take no medication of any sort, not even OTC pain relievers, and once in awhile I will experience a real sharp pain so bad that I might drop what I pick up.

Ah, to be young again.

RobertSmith

Postby RobertSmith » February 8th, 2012, 2:05 am

Bill,
Glad to hear you're able to manage it without medication. Sometimes I feel like I'm at the complete mercy of my insurance company despite years of paying premiums to them.

To be young again? LOL I'm only 32. I still am young and I'm dealing with this.

I suppose I don't have much to complain about. Very lucky to have found a solution that works so early in my disease management. Many people take years to find an effective therapy.

Umpa Duze

Postby Umpa Duze » February 8th, 2012, 4:08 am

Hi,
I also have arthritis in my hands although it is not yet terribly bad. I wanted to be able to perform a version of the Miser's Dream and have searched for a variety of solutions that would let me be successful. I discovered a wonderful solution for my needs that might work for others contributing to this thread so I thought I would share it here.

I purchased a "special" finger ring and several steel Morgan Dollars. This combination can do a good job substituting for classic and finger palms. The ring can be given a thin coat of clear latex to reduce the clinking problem. It is quite wonderful to try out the options with this setup as the coin can easily be guided into a number of positions including standing at a right angle to the palm where "plucking it from the air" becomes quite natural and relatively pain free. For my hands, the dollar size works best so I do not have to curl the fingers much to pick up the coin. I do not know whether this is enough of an aid for those with severe arthritis, but I hope it will be of interest to some.

If you try this, please let me know what you think. If you have found other work-arounds I would be interested in hearing about them.
Cheers,
Umpa Duze

RobertSmith

Postby RobertSmith » February 9th, 2012, 2:15 am

Do any of you talk about your challenges living with arthritis in your presentations?

RobertSmith

Postby RobertSmith » February 16th, 2012, 1:59 am

Any of you who use Twitter - I have several good discussions going with other biologic users from around the world.

Several have just started Enbrel in the last week or so.

If you use Twitter and are so inclined, I'd like to invite you to follow my account, @rspllc (Robert Smith Presents, LLC.) and join in the discussion

An interesting point was brought up this evening by Kate (@ministryofbones). She felt that there weren't enough success stories shared by people on Enbrel (or successful therapies in general).

She felt, and I tend to agree, that many aren't sharing their stories because those beginning to live free from pain don't want to come of as rubbing it in the faces of those still struggling for relief.

I think there's some truth to that. However, I think it can be overcome with compassion and tact.

I'd welcome any and all input here at Genii or even on the Twitter discussions.

Return to “General”