Magic pet peeves.. stir things up!

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
Glenn Bishop

Re: Magic pet peeves.. stir things up!

Postby Glenn Bishop » July 3rd, 2011, 1:45 am

Magic Fred wrote:Egotism is the anaesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity.
-Frank Leahy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tg1k_G6fRpQ

Just my opinion!

Magic Fred

Postby Magic Fred » July 3rd, 2011, 1:46 am

It rarely adds anything to say, "In my opinion" - not even modesty. Naturally a sentence is only your opinion; and you are not the Pope.
- Paul Goodman

Glenn Bishop

Postby Glenn Bishop » July 3rd, 2011, 1:58 am

No but I am a Bishop!

Magic Fred

Postby Magic Fred » July 3rd, 2011, 2:02 am

What kills a skunk is the publicity it gives itself.
-Abraham Lincoln

Kent Gunn

Postby Kent Gunn » July 3rd, 2011, 2:53 am

Glenn,

I think we've been over some of this ground before. Forgive me if I seem a bit cross.

I think you could put the insults to rest if you posted some lauditory comments from those who have purchased your work. I think that us seeing some of the other performers who are using your work could well quiet the thundering herd.

You have generated some original work with your use of the shuffle in Stars of Magic. I don't know anyone else using a punch to perform magic or gambling routines. You've struck out on your own and you value the original ideas you've created.

Why not let your own pride and sense of self-worth simply bask in the glow of what you feel you've accomplished? Many artists are not respected by their peers or the public in general. Perphaps your legacy of shuffle work will be discoverd and revelled in, years after you're dead.

I work on stuff of my own that is partially original. I show my stuff to other magicians and some of them don't care for it. I don't let that dissuade me from moving on or using the material. I do try to evaluate feedback to improve my magic. I don't repeatedly, over and over again, thousands of times repeat the same observations though. I never quote my own posts either. Please don't do that. Self-referential quoting is ponderous and a complete and utter waste of time.

You never give us any sense that you ever use the feedback people give you. I will agree some of the input you get is snide and downright rude. I should know, I gave you some of that rude feedback. I hope you and I are past that.

I'm certain Damian is one of your pet peeves. Every single exchange I've had with him has been positive. He has made mocking videos of my work. I bask in his attention. The man is dryly witty and never pretentious. He often makes really insightful posts, like the one about anonymous freedom of speech. I know he's also been pretty hard on you. Try responding to some of the finer points he brings up that don't specifically concern you. You could well find a new on-line pal. (okay that'll never happen, sorry)

I'm certain though, You should pay him and people like me less attention. Your time, like mine, would be far better spent working on new material rather than mindlessly repeating the same points over and over.

I do remember getting some of your documents when you had links up to them. My main comment would be that you really desperately need someone to edit them. It's very difficult for me to reread my own writing. You may have the same failing. I literally couldn't follow one of the documents simply because the writing was not clear. With your huge following I know one of your students or friends would gladly give the work a once-over. If you're going to charge for your material, I think it would really be beneficial.

I did not find your material would work for me. I don't do a lot of shuffle work. I've simply found other tools, with which, I'm already familar. I don't want to start a debate with you about shuffling technique, please, in the name of all that's holy, not again.

You have stuff that works for you. I'm glad for you. I know I'd enjoy sitting down with you over some really old Scotch, (lots and lots of it, I suspect), and discussing the intracacies of shuffling technique.

I'm going to go put my troll costume back on now and cause some hate and discontent elsewhere. Seriously though Glenn. If you don't respond to Damian things really will go better for you.

Kent

MF,

I'm digging the quotes. Nice lobs. Watch out for Glenn's backhand though he shuffles a bit as he approaches his shots, it's a tell.
Last edited by Kent Gunn on July 3rd, 2011, 2:55 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: Tennis ref.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » July 3rd, 2011, 4:44 am

Glenn Bishop wrote:As I said above I wrote the book and I have the experience.

As I said above, I don't deny you wrote it.

Glenn Bishop wrote:You on the other hand I know you never read my book or saw the DVD's.

I've got your "books" (PDFs) here Glenn. The Bishblogebooks 1-5.

They're quite amusing, particularly the way you have "Afterthoughts" for each variation on someone else's trick you published.

As I said, no one denies you wrote them. I am just (still) challenging you to find a single person who agrees with you that they are revolutionary. Just ONE Glenn. One.

Glenn Bishop wrote:Just FYI - I have been thinking of adding to the book an extra segment on how I do the shuffle - and putting it all on a CD in PDF format.

No one will care Glenn. No one but you misuses the Triumph shuffle in that way. Not a SINGLE MAGICIAN. Anywhere.

Glenn Bishop wrote:I am also thinking about putting my book Glenn Bishop's Punch Deck Pro Final into the same CD PDF format next year. Well just have to wait and see how things go.

Again, no one will care.

Go back to the Bistro man. You keep saying you hate the "lesser magicians" here that "don't understand" your work. You repeatedly say you don't like it here because you feel you are bullied and mocked. So don't come here any more. You and Mark Lewis carry on calling all the people here idiots and crying like a girl about your thread where David Ben pwned you and how you don't like it here because you are "bishbashed" and how you don't like Mr K. I'm sure the 3 people that read the Bistro are enjoying your tales of Jack Pyle et al.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » July 3rd, 2011, 5:14 am

Rob Block wrote:
Richard Kaufman wrote:And who was "cloudcloak"?

He was nobody. Although he spent many months talking about all of the performing he had done, his stage experience, the magicians he had mentored, the extraordinary experiences he had had touring the world performing. (Similar to Mr. smokemist above, which is what jogged my memory). He posted endless essays (mainly ramblings) about magic theory and his take on the state of the art and what and who (in his opinion) performed "good" magic. He became belligerent when challenged, then created multiple aliases to back himself up. He stirred the place up for quite a while. It all eventually unraveled in extremely entertaining form. The parody posts were some incredible creative writing. Once his real name was posted, "poof", he vanished, never to return. I guess that was the true irony of it all, his real life persona was as completely anonymous as all of his internet aliases. Once exposed, he crawled back under the rock he came from.

This was back in the heyday of usenet when alt.magic was getting 100 posts a day and the Electronic Grymoire (the EG) was "the" place to be. Mid to late 90's. Ah, what great memories.

Rob

Don't go on about AMS! You'll just get the old mental Ray Haddad posting here again about how he owned usenet and invented the bra trick etc.

Actually, he went totally loopy a few weeks ago and signed up for youtube as "the real mister goat" and proceeded to post loads of really angry bitter crazy [censored] on one of my videos. It makes for fascinating, if disturbing reading 10 years after I owned him he is STILL angry at me! Check the comments here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHvGWJIIOZI

smokemist

Postby smokemist » July 3rd, 2011, 5:52 am

Wow, ya leave and have a life for a few days, come back & the party has gotten started..
Awe, the joys of internet arguing.. reminds me of road rage a bit, when we feel like supermen in our cars :D

Justin, Id like to see your invis palm routine if ya have a link to it..

Ps. I have no relations to cloudsmoke or whatever the name was.

Glenn Bishop

Postby Glenn Bishop » July 3rd, 2011, 9:32 am

Still - don't own the work I produced - still have not read the book or seen the DVD's.

My opinion - it appears you don't know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVH-u9gIy8s&feature=fvst

Just a few more thoughts and opinion.

Cheers!

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » July 3rd, 2011, 10:30 am

Glenn Bishop wrote:Still - don't own the work I produced - still have not read the book.
My opinion - it appears you don't know.

With this, as with so so much, your opinion is wrong Mr Bishop. Sadly. However I must congratulate you on trying to move focus away from the fact your PDF is not in the least revolutionary, and rather try and suggest I don't have your PDF!

Nice sidestep. Rather than trying to prove me wrong and finding ONE, just one Glenn, magician that thinks your book is revolutionary, you decide to challenge me on whether I have it or not? You big silly goose!

"Plus if you do a French drop with the ball magnet it will attract to the ring if your warring it on a right hand finger." (incidentally, *you're, *wearing).

I have your badly written PDFs here Glenn. They are not revolutionary. And you can't find anyone to suggest otherwise. That's my only point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svwGRJA28lY

Follow FakeGlennBishop on twitter

Glenn Bishop

Postby Glenn Bishop » July 3rd, 2011, 11:31 am

mrgoat wrote:
I have your badly written PDFs here Glenn. They are not revolutionary. And you can't find anyone to suggest otherwise. That's my only point.

And the only way to get them was to download them for free from my web site when - back in the day they were available. And that was for a very short time.

Or get a copy of them from another magician.

Either way - if a person did not pay or invest in the knowledge the point in my opinion is still moot. In my opinion none of this would give the copier any rights to the material.

Just another thought and opinion.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » July 3rd, 2011, 11:45 am

Glenn Bishop wrote: opinion.

Right. So you understand I now have them in my possession. Good.

Can we move back to the *point*? Your amusing suggestion they were revolutionary?

Can you find just *one* person who agrees with you?

I think a revolution traditionally doesn't just happen in your own head. Just one person Glenn. Come on.

PS Google "Glenn bishop the punch deck pro" and my site mocking you is THIRD! Tee hee.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 3rd, 2011, 12:50 pm

All right: I officially declare a truce between Mr. Jennings and Mr. Bishop and expect to see no more posts from either of them in this thread.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Potty the Pirate

Postby Potty the Pirate » July 6th, 2011, 4:53 pm

I wonder who Mr Goat is, as he's in my town?! As I thought I knew all the established entertainers around here, my curiosity is aroused. We would be happy to invite you to our next BBQ, Mr Goat, and I promise the menu will not include any ruminant mammals apart from cow.
;)

Potty the Pirate

Postby Potty the Pirate » July 6th, 2011, 4:55 pm

Blimey! Only 4 posts from me here? I guess I'm busier than I thought! OK, this takes it to 5.
:)

Return to “General”