My top 10 list of impromptu magic tricks and effects....

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
Jonestown19

My top 10 list of impromptu magic tricks and effects....

Postby Jonestown19 » June 12th, 2011, 11:01 am

You asked for it....

http://nextlevelcloseup.blogspot.com/

I was really hesitant to post this one. This list has won women's hearts, bets, and friendships all over the world. Enjoy!

JCJ

Chris Aguilar

Re: My top 10 list of impromptu magic tricks and effects....

Postby Chris Aguilar » June 12th, 2011, 5:48 pm

Jonestown19 wrote:You asked for it....

Did we?

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » June 12th, 2011, 5:56 pm

My sentiments exactly

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 12th, 2011, 7:33 pm

The first line of his blog:
"You are here because today's magicians are creepy, and unrealistic."

Does that describe any of you folks?
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Bob Cunningham

Postby Bob Cunningham » June 12th, 2011, 7:51 pm

I'm creepy, but since the restraining order I have had to become much more realistic

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » June 12th, 2011, 7:55 pm

Assuming others want or need to see a list of store bought tricks that have already saturated the marketplace seems unrealistic to me. Thinking that this list is a revelation worthy of being shared seems arrogant and presumptuous to the level of being creepy.

Jeff Shriver

Postby Jeff Shriver » June 12th, 2011, 8:35 pm

Altogether now......
They're creepy and they're kooky,
mysterious and spooky
they're altogether ooky

Jonestown19

Postby Jonestown19 » June 13th, 2011, 12:54 pm

You guys really just need to chill out. For mainstream media all people get fed is magicians like Chris Angel and David Blaine. That is why the blog says that at the top(You think i'm taking a shot at you!). Look, I grew up learning from magicians like Michael Ammar, Harry Loraine, Greg Wilson, Paul Harris, Steve Shaw, and J.C. Wagner to scratch the surface. I even learned the pass from your video Richard. So keep taking shots at the blog guys when all i'm trying to do is offer some sound advice and opinions on my years of close-up when it is non-existent on the internet right now. (which is better than you sitting around criticizing what I write) The blog is starting to average over 100 hits a day In the US and now they are starting to come from Europe and other countries(I started this thing 1 week ago). If anything it would be in Genii's best interest to put a banner ad on it considering i have literally done nothing to promote it and if it keeps picking up pace like it is then it could drive traffic to the magazine. This is all about business fellas. No need to hate.

Kent Gunn

Postby Kent Gunn » June 13th, 2011, 1:37 pm

Jonestown19,

You give a bunch of advice on your website. The people on this site don't feel you are putting up information they need. Perhaps someone starting out might benefit from your meandering rants. Good for you.

Now here's some advice you're probably too young and cloistered to take.

1. Jonestown is the name of a mass suicide/murder. Here in San Francisco, even 35 years after it occurred it is too heavy a memory to be dredged up by some inconsiderate 28-year-old with no sense of history. Change your screen name. You're either being intentionally offensive or . . . you're stupid.

2. Listing a bunch of store-bought tricks, at least to me, does not comprise the highest level of sophistication in magic. It makes you sound like a tyro and younger than you probably are. Tell us how you've modified or adapted these tricks into your working bag of tricks.

3. Earl Nelson is probably the best magician to come out of Utah. You really need to develop some humility. Not everyone on this board needs your advice nor finds it particularly interesting.

4. Getting a hundred hits a day is really not a sign of any level of success.

Keep blogging. Don't worry what we think, because blogging is pretty much a narcissistic pursuit. It's all about you, dude.

KG

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 13th, 2011, 1:37 pm

I would suggest that starting your blog with the statement that today's magicians are creepy is not the way to endear yourself to your fellow magi. Taking a dump on the rest of us to better yourself just isn't nice.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

El Mystico

Postby El Mystico » June 13th, 2011, 1:46 pm

Hi Jonestown19

I think part of the reason people have criticised you here is because you began by saying we asked for it.
I didn't, and I didn't see anyone here asking for it.

Another part of the reason is because your blog says today's magicians are creepy. No exceptions. So I guess that includes the likes of Harry Lorayne (not Loraine), Greg Wilson, Steve Shaw, etc. I dont think many people here agree with you on that.

I guess another part of the reason would be describing Kollosal Killer as impromptu.

And another reason would be because while a lot of these trick are OK, I don't think that switching from my repertoire to your list of ten would take my magic to the next level. Unless that level was "down several floors". And I suspect I'm not alone in this.

Jonestown19

Postby Jonestown19 » June 13th, 2011, 4:50 pm

I'm loving the hate fellas! Keep it coming! I cant wait to drop a new post for you all to read!

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » June 13th, 2011, 5:14 pm

It's not hate, Jordan, it's exasperation at your posts.

If you ever get a chance to see an instructor's manual for a certified Microsoft course the first section is entitled 'Introduction to establish credibility'. It's the same on all MS courses - the trainer spends a few minutes outlining their experience in the field in question, in the hope that their audience will accept that they have the necessary knowledge to deliver the course.

So far you have skipped this part. There is nothing on your blog that gives any indication to your level of experience; how long have you studied sleight of hand, how long have you been a professional performer, if you are not professional, how much performance time do you have etc.

I've only had a cursory glance at your writing, but what I saw was not exactly breaking new ground, and much of the advice could be construed as misleading at best, and just plain wrong at worst (and, since this is an opinion, it's completely subjective).

The danger here is that a new magician who stumbles upon your blog may believe that this information is written in stone and should never be questioned. Without knowing more of your background, and relying solely on what you have written so far, I would suggest that this would be a very bad thing.

Take care, Ian

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » June 13th, 2011, 5:53 pm

There are far bigger iaaues raises by your posts than these, but Let's play:

On your blog you suggest magicians adopt several mainstream, commercially available, and somewhat over exposed - in the non jargon sense- effects into their repertoire.

How does encouraging magicians to perform the same, over popular tricks, help magic's status as an art in the eye of the public? How does promoting such sameness help magicians grow in the art as magicians and individuals?

Can prescribing tricks be a viable learning tool for those interested in growing in magic, or would one be better served learning how to find material fitting their own personality, style, and prevalent venues?

While you recommended 10 tricks, we do not know how much material you culled through before making those choices. What are some of the books which have influenced your approach to magic and why?

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » June 14th, 2011, 2:44 am

I don't get how Kolossal Killer or The Bat qualify as impromptu. I might go so far as to call something that uses only a thumbtip as impromptu, but you have to be wearing specific clothing to use The Bat, and Kolossal Killer requires specially printed cards.

I get that you are trying to make a buck, good luck with that, but if you want to build an internet magic business you need to provide content that can't be had on The Magic Cafe, which is 40% "best of" lists.

Try to focus on what you have to offer that your readers can't get elsewhere.

MagicManCT

Postby MagicManCT » June 15th, 2011, 3:49 am

It's not called impromptu magic anymore... I understand the kids now call this a "BEND" ... :-)

( New terminology courtesy of Jay Sankey )

El Harvey Oswald

Postby El Harvey Oswald » June 21st, 2011, 11:53 pm

"The danger here is that a new magician who stumbles upon your blog may believe that this information is written in stone and should never be questioned."

This is a "danger"? I'd be curious to hear the thinking behind this mediocre -- but not nearly as atrocious as it's being portrayed here - blog being mistaken for the oracular authority on magic, and the damage that will do to impressionable minds; or, worse, Our Art.

El Harvey Oswald

Postby El Harvey Oswald » June 22nd, 2011, 12:00 am

Does that describe any of you folks?"

Yes; "creepy" is consistently one of the top-five magician stigmas. And "endearing" oneself to magicians is one approach, but it's not the only one.

Andrew Martin Portala

Postby Andrew Martin Portala » June 22nd, 2011, 9:20 am

Have an open mind because the ocean is very deep. Got Books ??

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » June 22nd, 2011, 9:22 am

Has anyone take the "here's a pamphlet" approach where the handout is actually a prop designed with reveals for tricks done in context?

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » June 22nd, 2011, 9:25 am

Richard Kaufman wrote:The first line of his blog:

Does that describe any of you folks?

and proud of it. So what? Oh ... someone taking a half baked shot at branding by way of disrespect to others in the field. Not a good move.

Anyone here want to sell the OP a marketing course?

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » June 22nd, 2011, 9:52 am

"The danger here is that a new magician who stumbles upon your blog may believe that this information is written in stone and should never be questioned."

This is a "danger"? I'd be curious to hear the thinking behind this mediocre -- but not nearly as atrocious as it's being portrayed here - blog being mistaken for the oracular authority on magic, and the damage that will do to impressionable minds; or, worse, Our Art.

The trouble with the interweb is that it is fairly easy to pass oneself off as an authority on pretty much anything. A new magician, not well read or exposed to much more than interweb writing, would not necessarily dismiss this as bunkum, because they won't have a point of reference.

Ian

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » June 22nd, 2011, 11:36 am

and suddenly - Ian discovers the purpose of the internet(web) and might be having an "aha" moment about lolcats and 4chan too.

honestly, thems what can't read or think are not going to do better just because they have access to all the search results proffered by google/bing. Giving a child or adOlt unsupervised access to the internet is like giving a child the keys to the car. Other than a sitcom type confusion setup, what's the good of it?

Hey look here's a site where dogs are discussing whether you can fool a cat with a bone loaded with catnip - and a video demo.

At least here folks get some of the jokes and have solid advice and products.

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » June 22nd, 2011, 11:59 am

Jon, you've either completely missed my point or I'm finding it harder than usual to decipher what you say.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » June 22nd, 2011, 12:34 pm

Ian - i believe that:
1) dolts/those too young to know wisdom from pap are not going to do well on the internet if unsupervised

2) that you are able to understand and may have just had that "aha" about the lulz/4chan/tards and their attitude where they make fun of those who expect things to be explained, make sense and confirm their preconceptions wherever they go.

When folks here (and at the caf too) want sound/sage advice they search/read the threads and then PM for direct assistance if personal or add to a related thread so the on-topic dialog can continue.

BTW, if you practice a thing you can hardly claim to be "unprepared". Even so that claim (among peers here) is hardly laudable if you've read the classic/basic texts in this craft.

And for fun - following from 1 and 2 above:
3) That it's those who send their kids/dolts out onto the internet/streets unsupervised who make the most noise about "think of the children" - expecting others to do what they have chosen to avoid.

El Harvey Oswald

Postby El Harvey Oswald » June 22nd, 2011, 12:57 pm

"The trouble with the interweb is that it is fairly easy to pass oneself off as an authority on pretty much anything."

Like by pretentiously repeating "interweb"? It's also fairly easy to do a second and a third and a fourth search and either explicitly or implicitly debunk a fake authority.

El Harvey Oswald

Postby El Harvey Oswald » June 22nd, 2011, 1:01 pm

"The Magic Cafe, which is 40% "best of" lists"

and 90% insipid revelations that "there is no single 'best'" and everything is just "IN MY OPINION"

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » June 22nd, 2011, 1:33 pm

El Harvey Oswald wrote:"The Magic Cafe, which is 40% "best of" lists"

and 90% insipid revelations that "there is no single 'best'" and everything is just "IN MY OPINION"

Yes, ELO that's where beginners start on the path to "how can I" and "where can I find" type questions. At the start of the journey all they have is a desire to seek out the best and have yet to learn just how personal and context sensitive 'best' is in anyone's world.

While some post using IMHO or "in my opinion" cloak some arrogance others use those terms as proper shorthand for "this has served me well to date and I welcome what you might have to offer that would work better for me".

If you can communicate there in ways that get ideas across while inviting the readers to ask you more questions to seek out your council - all the better. It looks like that's where the next generation in the market is hanging out so it might be a suitable place for you (and others here) to make a good impression and lead them to seek out resources here as they learn about our history.

El Harvey Oswald

Postby El Harvey Oswald » June 22nd, 2011, 1:54 pm

Just to clarify, is that your opinion? or a statement of absolute, immutable, permanent ontological Truth?

Return to “General”