Affecting Our Art Form

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
Rick Maue

Affecting Our Art Form

Postby Rick Maue » June 30th, 2005, 10:39 am

Last evening I received an illegal PDF file that contained the first part of my release, The Book Of Spirits Sance. It is being shopped around by one of the folks that ordered it from me within the last two weeks. The way that I know when it was purchased is that we code every batch that we produce, which is easy to do since we only produce ten sets at a time.

In addition to coding each batch, we also code each individual BOSS set so that we will be able to trace any illegal copies. We do all of this to protect the rights of the authorized purchasers. After all, it is the authorized purchasers that have invested their hard-earned money, and they become the real victims of the thieves that make illegal copies to sell and/or trade.

As of right now, I know for a fact that the culprit was one of three people (although all the evidence is really pointing to one specific person). The reason that I do not know exactly who the thief is (at least not as of yet) stems from the fact that the PDF only included enough pages to verify the batch that it came from. When we obtain the other necessary pages, we will be able to confirm exactly who the guilty person is. At that time, my attorneys will become involved. In addition, the name of the guilty party will then be widely distributed throughout the world of magic and mentalism. (Anyone else thinking of making illegal copies of The BOSS, please read the above paragraphs again because I am not joking.)

I do not mention all of this because of the possibility of me losing any sales to such counterfeiting thieves. That is not the point. After all, those that want to perform (or collect) material like The BOSS will purchase the original. The only people that will obtain a fake copy will be the losers that do not care about the law, the art form, or the people that they steal from. Their feeling of entitlement sickens me, and it should sicken you as well. But like I said, none of this matters from a business point of view. So let me tell you why this specific situation bothers me so much.

If I would have simply received payment in the mail from some unknown person, and that person turned around and stole from me, I would have been angry. But that is not the case. The person that did this has spent quite a bit of time with me on the phonemuch of which they spent telling me how much they respect me and my creations. After a long conversation of sucking up, they turn around and screw me. To me, that makes it personal.

With all of that said, it is sad that a number of really good creators are now starting to go underground once again due to these thieves. Believe me, I also know of a number of others that are thinking seriously of joining them. If that happens, everybody loses.

In short, please help to put an end to such thievery. Do not make or accept illegal copies, and if you have proof of someone that is trading and/or selling them, let their identity be known. You will be helping yourself, and the art of theatrical deception.

Keep the change,

Rick Maue
Deceptions Unlimited

Re: Affecting Our Art Form

Postby Guest » June 30th, 2005, 11:40 am

I'm with you Rick. One thing, aren't you tipping your hand? I don't know how all this PDF stuff works but if you only received the first part and need more to ID the person wouldn't it have been wiser to let him/her have enough rope to hang themself rather than letting them know, here, that you need a bit more to nail 'em? I hope you do nail'em by the way.
Steve V

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » June 30th, 2005, 12:30 pm

Originally posted by Rick Maue:
Last evening I received an illegal PDF file that contained the first part of my release...
A few years ago I found out that something sent out in a few private letters, and printed on RED paper, had been taken public in this community. Really. Those who perpetrated this act have actually been lauded by the community. Really. Published examples of this phenomenon go back to Hoffmann's books and more recently Expert Card Technique, to cite examples where the parties involved are long gone.

Some creative types in this community have taken themselves underground, and shrugged off the allure of admiration in favor of some peace of mind.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Robert Allen

Postby Robert Allen » June 30th, 2005, 4:13 pm

Once again the need for "The Beating Penalty" is aptly demonstrated.

Brian Morton

Postby Brian Morton » June 30th, 2005, 8:27 pm

Nail 'em to the wall, Rick.

brian :cool:

Return to “General”