Who’s Left?

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Re: Who’s Left?

Postby Matthew Field » January 3rd, 2010, 11:24 am

mrgoat wrote:I've never met Mr Walton, but would any kind of petition help you Mr Field?

I know many of my magic friends would love a Walton DVD and pay handsomely for one too...

Is there anything the community at large can do to help you try and persuade him?

In a word, no. I almost lost my friendship with Roy over this. I've enlisted people like Betty Davenport, Peter Duffie, Gordon Bruce and others on this, one of my two "crusades". I tried to get Roy's wife Jean (nee Davenport) to help, but she said she doesn't want Roy to get upset, which he does, apparently, every time she brings it up.

Apparently Roy may make a video for the family only, a kind of historical thing for his grand kids.

I feel I've got to let it be for the time being.

I'm still working on my second "crusade" -- the release of the Slydini video from the films made by Christian Fechner.

Glenn Bishop

Postby Glenn Bishop » January 3rd, 2010, 11:37 am

I would like to see Tony Giorgio doing a formal close up show including cards and dice work.

SteveP

Postby SteveP » January 3rd, 2010, 12:57 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:Steve, you know that L&L shoots things and then sits on them for years. So, "John" may well still be in DVDs that L&L has yet to release. Or DVDs that have been released in the past year. Just because he hasn't been to an L&L shoot in several years, doesn't mean he's not going to show up on an L&L DVD in the future.

Richard,

You're right of course. The DVDs aren't released in the order they're shot, so it's possible that there is a title that hasn't been released that has one of those audience members.

In the past 3 years or so I haven't seen John or David or any of the old regulars on any of the releases. It's just amazing to me that people continue to focus on this one issue.

JordanB wrote:Shame to hear about the Chuck Smith set. I had assumed it had to do with his health, but wasn't sure. I've only gotten to see Chuck once, but he has some great material.

I was disappointed in this too. I have only heard about Chuck and was looking forward to seeing him.

Paul Gordon

Postby Paul Gordon » January 3rd, 2010, 1:11 pm

Dear Mr. Pellegrino,

I'm not "focusing" on the issue, because I've only just become aware of it. I'm not a fan of DVDs, and the excellent Bill Malone set (On The Loose) is my first buy from L&L. The "John" issue stands out like a sore thumb and puts me off buying more L&L DVDs. But, your "attitude" suggests that I'm not the first to find it nauseating. That's all.

Paul Gordon
Secure Online Magic Shop: http://www.paulgordon.net/shop.html

Roger M.

Postby Roger M. » January 3rd, 2010, 1:43 pm

The reason folks continue to comment on the L&L audience members is because it continues to remain an issue!

For me, the phony audience renders L&L discs only watchable once.

I find L&L DVD's uncomfortable to view due to the endless forced laughter and applause.

After seeing Tommy Wonder rendered by L&L production styles I certainly wouldn't want my dream disc of Steve Freeman or Persi Diaconis to be produced in the L&L format.

Roberto

Postby Roberto » January 3rd, 2010, 1:45 pm

Denis! Denis! Denis! How could you do that?! How could you show me a link to an OLD ebay auction for a Jerry Sadowitz video I would kill for?!! Well, thanks for posting the link anyway, lol.

Roberto

SteveP

Postby SteveP » January 3rd, 2010, 2:37 pm

Roger M. wrote:The reason folks continue to comment on the L&L audience members is because it continues to remain an issue!

For me, the phony audience renders L&L discs only watchable once.

I find L&L DVD's uncomfortable to view due to the endless forced laughter and applause.

After seeing Tommy Wonder rendered by L&L production styles I certainly wouldn't want my dream disc of Steve Freeman or Persi Diaconis to be produced in the L&L format.

Roger,

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, so no argument from me. The only thing I'll add is that Tommy Wonder was thrilled with his DVDs and was glad that this was his legacy on video.

I'm not involved in the production of these DVDs, so I can only offer my opinion like the rest of you. I have never found the L&L audiences to be a distraction. I watch the DVDs to learn and in some cases, like Bill Malone, to be entertained.

My personal complaint is that there are not more discussions of theory on the DVDs. The Tommy Wonder DVDs are an exceptional set of DVDs because of the conversations Tommy and Max had. Most recently the 13 Steps DVDs are heavy with discussion between Osterlind & Sisti.

Not everyone who does a DVD for them wants that though. I helped L&L get John Mendoza and he didn't want to get too talk much about theory.

L&L provides a very comfortable atmosphere for these guys to come in and do their thing. For some of these guys it may be their only DVD set and the guys I know were grateful for the audience.

I've seen few other DVDs that equal the quality of what L&L releases. The Flicking Fingers was a great DVD and really broke away from the usual format. Russ Stevens in the UK produces some excellent DVDs as well as Peter Nardi. The Educating Archer DVDs are the best!

When you look back at the evolution of this format as a teaching medium, L&L really advanced it from what Tannens & Stevens Magic did early on.

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » January 3rd, 2010, 2:40 pm

I, too, would like to see Tom Craven's imitation of Harry Lorayne! Harry Lorayne.

Harry Lorayne

Postby Harry Lorayne » January 3rd, 2010, 2:41 pm

PS: I don't think I had any of the "regular" L&L audience members that are under discussion here, on my 4-volume DVD set. I don't think I would have allowed it. HL.

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » January 3rd, 2010, 3:28 pm

There are a couple of folks producing DVDs of real quality these days. Big Blind Media has been doing some interesting work...

As for who should be represented on video: Doug Conn
Live video of his street work, shot on location in the Big Easy, and an L&L style shoot (with a smaller audience) for his amazing close-up work.

SteveP

Postby SteveP » January 3rd, 2010, 3:37 pm

I would add Kozmo Magic to the list of quality producers. Ted is doing some great work with his releases.

I just finished reading Geoffrey Durham's excellent book Professional Secrets and would like to see more of him. He only has a short video clip on his website doing the newspaper tear.

IrishMagicNews

Postby IrishMagicNews » January 3rd, 2010, 4:36 pm

Steve Pellegrino wrote:I just finished reading Geoffrey Durham's excellent book Professional Secrets and would like to see more of him. He only has a short video clip on his website doing the newspaper tear.

I second that. We had Geoff over some years ago at the Society of Irish Magicians for a lecture that was quite simply astounding. Till any future DVD release do yourself a favour and buy his book.

Brendan
Brendan

News, Lectures, Societies & Magic in Ireland
http://www.IrishMagicNews.com

Shenanigans the irish magic convention 2-4 May 2014 Dublin
http://www.IrishMagicConvention.com

Tom Gaudette

Postby Tom Gaudette » January 4th, 2010, 6:56 pm

The following will please Nathan Muir and expands on JordanBs remarks regarding the forthcoming DVD on card magic by Bob White. Ive been a sounding board for Bob during his planning of this DVD. This planning has been conducted by Bob for close to two years. Knowing the content, I can assure any serious student of card magic that they will receive more than their moneys worth with careful study. Bob previously had distilled his lifelong study of the Vernon/Miller approach to magic in an excellent lecture book provided to attendees of his all too infrequent seminars. The key concepts of his lecture book as well as other valuable information will appear on his DVD with the added benefit of seeing Bob perform and discuss the material. (By the way, the lecture book continues to be available from Bob.)

Knowing how a magic trick is done and knowing how to perform it well are two very different notions. Most DVDs available today may provide you with new foolers but by their very nature few will provide insight as to what separates the truly well informed and thoughtful magician from the dilettante. Fewer still provide instruction on how to apply this knowledge to your own performance. Anyone wanting to really know what the Professor meant by natural card handling or why Charlie Miller once inscribed a copy of Erdnase to Bob with The true secrets of magic are found within the pages of this little book can do no better than studying Bobs DVD. Im looking forward to repeated viewings.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » January 4th, 2010, 7:10 pm

Bob White is a treasure. I would piggyback onto what Tom has said above--in order to get the most out of his material, you need to be a serious student and be willing to work--he's like Denny Haney in that respect. Bob's DVD's are universally excellent!

Another DVD I'd love to see is the underground Latta tape.

Bill McFadden

Postby Bill McFadden » January 4th, 2010, 10:01 pm

Years from now, there will be articles and books written about the many fine magicians from all over Texas from approximately just before WW II and into the 21st Century. Many of these artists are noted throughout this thread. In any event, I believe that this era should be memorialized as an important period in the development of serious magic. Call it the "TAOM School," or the "Texas School." And they're all (or were) good guys, too.

JordanB

Postby JordanB » January 4th, 2010, 11:44 pm

I have heard that Jason Womack wrote an article several years ago detailing the Texas close up magicians of the last half of the twentieth century.

There was a core group of guys heavily influenced by the amazing stuff coming out after WW2. Bob White, Roger Klause, Chuck Smith, Johnny Brown, Pressley Guitar, Steve Freeman, Dan Johnston...really an amazing group. They would just meet up in a hotel room and do magic for days on end. Charlie Miller even lived in Texas for some time.

TAOM has always tended to be a really great "regional" convention and there's a lot of great magic still going on here.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » January 5th, 2010, 5:32 pm

Sort of off topic, but I've been considering going to TAOM sometime in the future--is it generally an easy convention to "fit" into for a non-famous first timer? (I've noticed that some smaller gatherings seem more "cliquish" while others seem more welcoming to new folks). I realize this is heavily dependent on the individual, but I was just wondering what the general impression was. Also, since TAOM moves around year to year--is there a particular location where it's best to attend?

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 5th, 2010, 7:42 pm

TAOM can be a great convention depending upon what city it's held in. The one coming up looks to be excellent. Magicians are generally a very welcoming group at conventions.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

JordanB

Postby JordanB » January 5th, 2010, 7:58 pm

Dallas, Houston, Fort Worth, and Austin usually have the highest attendance as far as I know. Part of that is due to the size of the city. I think it's good every year, but I'm biased.

Austin should have a great convention this year.

mai-ling

Postby mai-ling » January 5th, 2010, 8:24 pm

one of the things i decided to do is a book/DVD on my dad.
its the revamp of what i started two years ago.
you will remember my name
http://www.mai-ling.net
world's youngest illusionista

Bill McFadden

Postby Bill McFadden » January 5th, 2010, 10:26 pm

Was Charles Earle Miller not a native Texan? And since I'm too lazy to look it up, isn't Conrad Haden also from the Lone Star State?

Further, in paying tribute to the Texas School, let me not forget the women magicians who live and perform there, beginning with Trixie Bond.

In Texas, they're serious about fun. Strong magicians all . . .

JordanB

Postby JordanB » January 5th, 2010, 11:23 pm

Bobo was a Texan as well. Ren Clark, Willard the Wizard, Ed Watkins, Johnny Sissom. Also let's not forget John Cornelius, John Moehring, Mark Wilson, Lew Zafran, and many many others. Texas has a rich magic history. I'm proud to be a tiny part of it.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » January 6th, 2010, 8:32 pm

Another underground figure I'd like to see material from is Bill Taylor. Everything I've ever seen with his named attached is extremely clever and practical.

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » January 7th, 2010, 2:11 am

Chad Long.

There was a zero-budget VHS and a couple of lecture notes, but a substantial representation of his work would be great.

Return to “General”