Respect for Doug Henning

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Respect for Doug Henning

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 7th, 2015, 3:15 pm

A lot of what Jeff does mixes western manipulation with traditional Asian motifs. Not at all what Henning did.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Tom Gilbert

Postby Tom Gilbert » January 8th, 2015, 10:46 am

I really don't see any likeness in performances of Henning and McBride.

I was lucky enough to see Henning perform live a few times and enjoyed every second. I've seen Copperfield once. The Pendragons I got to see a number of times and thought they were better than Copperfield. But that's just my opinion.

Diego

Postby Diego » January 21st, 2015, 1:00 am

I have said it before on this forum:
People loved Doug Henning...and his magic too. I heard a warm buzz before and afterwards, listening to audiences at his show, I haven't heard before or today.

When Richard noted few have tried to copy his style, it may because as Jim Steinmeyer has said, "He WAS THAT GUY."(He didn't stop being Doug Henning when the show finished) To try to copy him would only look foolish and/or a put-on.
When I see the wide-eyed Doug Henning in interviews, it shows that he is THAT GUY.

When standing in line at The Magic Castle, the hall is lined with photos and posters of many performers, but I have seen people point and comment at Henning's poster with smiles, fondness, and appreciation.

Return to “General”