Looking for a teacher in Los Angeles

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
friedpalm

Looking for a teacher in Los Angeles

Postby friedpalm » July 17th, 2009, 4:46 pm

Hi, I am looking for a teacher. I live in Los Angeles. Westside, Santa Monica. I am looking for a help. I love magic and have since a kid. I just haven't been able to progress thru videos or books. I took a couple classes and MagicInc. when i was in Chicago and found them so great. Please help if you know any Teachers here in Los Angeles.
Thanks
Aaron

Joe Skilton

Re: Looking for a teacher in Los Angeles

Postby Joe Skilton » July 17th, 2009, 6:18 pm

Hi Aaron,

I'm sure there's a lot of L.A. - based magicians who will chime in and offer their services. But the truth is that you need to find a teacher who teaches the areas of magic you most wish to study.

For example: If you are into card magic, I'd suggest Jon Armstrong (www.cardjon.com). He's a great teacher and great with cards.

However... if your focus is COIN magic... I would suggest someone else entirely. This also holds true for platform/stage vs. close-up, etc.

Call me anytime with questions. I live in Los Angeles and know just about everybody, and would be happy to make recommendations.

Joe Skilton
(323) 449-4640
www.joeskilton.com

Mark Collier

Postby Mark Collier » July 17th, 2009, 6:33 pm

If you want more of a general overview, you might consider the magic classes at the Magic Castle.
Good luck.

friedpalm

Postby friedpalm » July 17th, 2009, 10:36 pm

Mark, I love the General Overview, I've looked into the classes at the Magic Castle, They seem really fun however I work on the train and my schedule doesn't allow me to attend reg. classes.
When I was taking the lessons at MagicInc. he charged me $25 for a half hour lesson..is that still fair? I know that most of the guys here in LA are Pros...So i'm sure the fee is more..Anyway I thank you and Joe for your suggestions

Bob Cunningham

Postby Bob Cunningham » July 18th, 2009, 9:32 am

Hi Aaron,

I run a discussion group on LinkedIn (www.linkedin.com) called "Magic In Business" that may be of some help to you.

This is a very supportive group (i.e. dialog is NOT a blood sport). I am sure that many of the members would be willing to recommend books, DVD's, specific tricks, venues for you to begin performing your magic, as well as giving you some feedback.

Also, one of our members runs a web site called the magic classroom (www.magicclassroom.com) that specializes in learning magic over the web.

/Bob

greg manwaring

Postby greg manwaring » July 19th, 2009, 4:23 am

Dean Dill also teaches!

r paul wilson

Postby r paul wilson » July 19th, 2009, 5:29 am

Dean Dill would be my recommendation for general close up magic and coins.

If you're specifically interested in sleight of hands with cards, check out Aaron Fisher's website:

http://www.aaronfishermagic.com/coaching.htm

P

The Magic Apple

Postby The Magic Apple » July 20th, 2009, 12:40 am

all are very good answers and magicians!

I hear there is a magic shop in Studio City. You never know who pops in to share a new trick, tell and funny story or just buy the newest miracle. They even have lectures, so I hear

Give them a call if you'd like 818-508-9921
TheMagicApple.com
818-508-9921
Follow us: @The_Magic_Apple

David Alexander

Postby David Alexander » July 20th, 2009, 6:56 pm

The "fit" of teacher and student is all important.

I would suggest meeting a potential teacher in a social setting (if possible) or just buy a lesson or two to see how easily you interact with him.

If you find yourself comfortable and that they are capable of giving both good instructions and clear corrections then you may have found the right person with whom to spend both time and money.

Don't buy purely on reputation. Buy on the teacher's ability to impart knowledge to you at a pace you can absorb.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » July 26th, 2009, 1:40 pm

What is your level at present and what kind of things are you wanting to learn? I could be able to work on some of what you need.
Stay tooned.

ZachLambert529

Postby ZachLambert529 » July 26th, 2009, 5:35 pm

I have a friend who's mentor is Dorian Rhodell.. I hear that he's great!

You should also maybe look into checking out the Magi cCastle and asking around there. =D

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » July 28th, 2009, 1:39 am

Aaron, got your call, thanks... will call you Tuesday to set up a meeting.
Stay tooned.

Jager

Postby Jager » January 9th, 2010, 12:45 pm

Aaron, I am curious. Were you able to find the help you were looking for? I took the classes at the Magic Castle and I am looking to continue my magical education also.
Kelly Smith
Jager

Return to “General”