Denny's Ad on the September back cover

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
Dave Shepherd

Re: Denny's Ad on the September back cover

Postby Dave Shepherd » August 30th, 2001, 10:09 pm

Originally posted by Joe M. Turner:

The ad is not getting reaction. Richard's direct question about the ad is getting reaction. It's not an atypical response.

Actually, yeah, let me second what Joe is saying. Richard started this thread by asking the question. Joe, Steve, and I answered (very much in the minority) saying that we didn't find the ad particularly pleasant to look at; our personal opinions.

So this means we now need to "get a life"? Really, I've got about all the life I can stand.

Not to put too strong a spin on this thing, but I'm starting to feel any freedom to express an even mildly dissenting opinion beginning to chill a bit here.

One strand of this discussion has led into what I think is a productive reflection on brick-and-mortar versus internet (discount) dealers. But another strand seems to think that anybody who found Denny's ad less than side-splitting is a humorless prude.

Please. Allow us to respond sincerely to Richard's query.

Respectfully,
Dave Shepherd

Andy Hurst

Postby Andy Hurst » August 30th, 2001, 10:55 pm

Andy:

The ad is not getting reaction. Richard's direct question about the ad is getting reaction. It's not an atypical response.

Best,
JMT

Well I still find it funny :-)

But if you want an opinion on Richards first comment, he said "and no it's not scratch and sniff" - shame it's not - at least if it was we could smell the quality of some of the packet magic and videos being churned out these days that Denny and other dealers carry.

Areeb Malik

Postby Areeb Malik » August 31st, 2001, 12:42 am

I thought the ad was funny.
Considering I buy most of my magic online, it made me wonder. However, the reason I buy online is because there is no magic shop in my neck of the woods. If there was one, I would definately be a patron.

I enjoy visiting magic shops and seeing what is new first hand. You also get to ask what is good, bad, cool, not cool etc... Besides, you get to read the book, do the trick, watch the video later on that day as opposed to waiting a week or two for delivery.

So what does the future hold for magic shops? Are they destined to be a thing of the past because there is no way they will be able to compete against the internet dealer (price-wise). What should the business model for magic shops of the present and future be?

Postby Guest » August 31st, 2001, 2:01 am

This is the first magic ad I can recall that looks as if it was conceived by someone other than a magician with a 'Darrin Stephens Complex'.
WheneverIlookthroughtheendlessnumberoflookalikeadsthatfillthepagesofmagicmagazineseachmonththeyallseemtoruntogether.
The best way to get someone's attention is to kick 'em in the nuts and stand back while they catch their breath. It's a surefire guarantee that they'll remember you.

[ August 31, 2001: Message edited by: Richard Bartram ]

Joe M. Turner
Favorite Magician: Fred Kaps

Postby Joe M. Turner » August 31st, 2001, 8:37 am

Originally posted by Richard Bartram:

The best way to get someone's attention is to kick 'em in the nuts and stand back while they catch their breath. It's a surefire guarantee that they'll remember you.

Or, one could aspire to be remembered for having class and intelligence. Some things are so good that they don't have to shout for attention; they command it by virtue of their quality.

JMT

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » August 31st, 2001, 12:26 pm

Originally posted by Areeb Malik:
So what does the future hold for magic shops? Are they destined to be a thing of the past because there is no way they will be able to compete against the internet dealer (price-wise). What should the business model for magic shops of the present and future be?

That is an interesting question, and one that I am sure people like Geno Munari, Hank Lee, Joe Stevens, Denny and others are pondering quite seriously. As a business analyst, I am instinctively interested.

A few years ago I attended a food industry convention, held by one of the largest data collection firms in the world. One of the speakers was a professor of economics that predicted that the “.com” grocery companies would have little or no impact on the industry as a whole, even though at the time they seemed to be making inroads. He, of course, was proved to be correct in his analysis, and in a very short period of time. One can also look at the other failing .com businesses such as online toy, book and music stores.

That being said, small niche industries such as magic are a perfect fit for the Internet, but I believe (and remember, this is only one analyst's opinion) in a way different from what we are seeing at this place and time.

Will “brick and mortar” shops vanish? Sadly, I believe most of them will, mainly due to the high overheads that are a part of such a business. The exception will be establishments like Geno Munari's Houdini's Magic Shop stores which are strategically placed in high traffic tourist/shopping areas and do not necessarily target magicians as their primary customer. B&M shops with a strong Internet presence will last longer, but will eventually fall to the business model that I believe will dominate the magic industry of the future: direct to vendor commerce.

It is my belief that mainstream magic manufacturers and publishers will begin, out of necessity, to retail directly to the consumer via the Internet (and good old fashioned mail-order, which will never go away). As the number of retail outlets dwindle, the manufacturers will need to sell more product at retail prices as opposed to wholesale, in order to keep their business afloat. Even the online only shops are already learning that, unless they are marketing something that they themselves produce, magic shops (even on the Internet) are a difficult way to make a profit. The profit margin at retail is much higher for the manufacturer selling direct to the consumer, vs. selling at wholesale. The Internet allows this to occur without the high overhead of a B&M retail store.

We already see this with some individuals who are selling the books, tricks and videos they produce. Yes, they also sell to shops, but that's because they can – the shops are still there. The fact of the matter is, however, they do better selling at retail themselves. I believe that it's only a matter of time before this is how most of the industry of magic will be conducting business.

Frankly, I hope I'm wrong. I love magic shops. The dingier and more cluttered the better too. I dislike the sterile perfection of some of the “mall” shops we see today. I loved Denny's ad – it made me laugh and it made me think. It made me think and hope that shop owners can weather the rough waters ahead of them.

Regards,
Dustin

[ August 31, 2001: Message edited by: Dustin Stinett ]

cardstuntman

Postby cardstuntman » August 31st, 2001, 1:38 pm

there was a time when magic shops got a lot of my money. now I really only buy books. its hard for me to find anything I want when I go into a magic shop. I still try to get something though just about everytime I go to one. I bought a book from denny once at a con. but never over the internet or at his shop. I like him though, and find his add interesting. I am not offended at all by it. it is very interesting though to see how the add has sparked different reactions. shows how easy it could be to cross some folks 'line' during say a performance. I have always said that I am offended by those easy to offend. ;)
regards
scotty
ps did anyone find the playboy bunny hidden in the add? smirk

Andy Hurst

Postby Andy Hurst » August 31st, 2001, 3:04 pm

Or, one could aspire to be remembered for having class and intelligence. Some things are so good that they don't have to shout for attention; they command it by virtue of their quality.

JMT

Advertising is all about shouting for attention. If you're not gonna shout, don't advertise and go file bankrupcy. I doubt many magic dealers are thriving without advertising and shouting, especially since 'magic dealer' and 'class and intelligence' hardly mix.

Joe M. Turner

Postby Joe M. Turner » August 31st, 2001, 3:57 pm

Originally posted by Andy Hurst:

especially since 'magic dealer' and 'class and intelligence' hardly mix.

Actually, I was thinking more in terms of whether GENII aspired to be remembered in terms of class, intelligence and quality. But I do think that certain magic dealers demonstrate class and intelligence. Many do not. It is a shame that those who do would give anyone any opportunity to equate them with those who do not.

We have a difference of opinion on what makes a quality ad in a quality magazine. I think the tone of the magazine determines what sort of ads are appropriate, and I simply hold GENII in much higher regard than I hold other magazines where butt-crack jokes are a better fit.

I don't think being a classy publication or other business automatically requires you to file for bankruptcy.

Best,
JMT

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » August 31st, 2001, 4:39 pm

JM,
To further support your viewpoint could you give us an example of an advertisement (hopefully one we might have seen on TV or print) that you consider to have the virture of quality?

I'm not offended by Denny's ad but I wasn't suprised to hear that some were...

Jim Morton

Postby Jim Morton » August 31st, 2001, 7:35 pm

I'm rather fond of the Carfax TV ad with the dog driving the truck. I thought the Denny's ad was amusing, but not effective. Why not? Because I suspect that the picture more closely resembles the average magic buyer than the average magic seller. :p

Joe M. Turner

Postby Joe M. Turner » August 31st, 2001, 10:59 pm

Originally posted by Bill Duncan:

JM,
To further support your viewpoint could you give us an example of an advertisement (hopefully one we might have seen on TV or print) that you consider to have the virture of quality?

I'm not offended by Denny's ad but I wasn't suprised to hear that some were...

First, I wouldn't go so far as to say I was "offended." I just felt it was beneath the level of dignity I associate with a publication like Genii Magazine. If I had been reading MAD and saw that advertisement, then I wouldn't have felt it was out of place at all. If I had been reading great magazines and journals like The Saturday Evening Post, The New Yorker, Architectural Digest, Scientific American, Life, American Heritage, etc., I would have been extremely disappointed to see the back cover graced by a butt-crack joke.

As for a classy ad campaign, I'm not purporting to be a qualified judge of what will be successful in advertising to the general public. Nobody has ever gone broke by underestimating the taste of the American public. All I can know and speak of is my own taste and what I personally hope for with regard to the recent renaissance of Genii. For any advertising campaign I mention that I consider classy, others can easily provide ten loud, brash, bawdy and wildly successful counterexamples, probably even from some of the same companies. I don't think my examples are really necessary for the point I was making. Anyone reading can remember or at least look for ads which do not blare at them. Not everything must be a Crazy Eddie's commercial.

I responded to a specific question about a specific ad in a specific magazine. For doing so, I've been called prudish, uptight, and told to get a life. Honestly, I think that sort of response is more childish than the original advertisement itself.

The fact is not lost on me that what I think about what Genii should or shouldn't be like is irrelevant; those decisions are made by RK based on HIS ideas and aspirations for the magazine. I then either read or don't read. A silly back-cover advertisement alone is certainly not enough to make me not want to read Genii.

It is my sincere hope that they can get that new video reviewer to stop stirring up trouble on the Forum. Who the devil does he think he is?

JMT

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 31st, 2001, 11:21 pm

I've had a number of people call up and compliment Genii on its September issue. None of them mentioned the ad on the back. No who has made remarks (pro or con) about the ad on the back has said anything to me about the content of the actual issue.
Is there a point to be made here?
Am I just too tired?
ZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » August 31st, 2001, 11:27 pm

...If I had been reading great magazines and journals like The Saturday Evening Post, The New Yorker, Architectural Digest, Scientific American, Life, American Heritage, etc., I would have been extremely disappointed to see the back cover graced by a butt-crack joke.

That certainly makes your position more understandable. I suspect that most of us don't put Genii in the same catagory as the those periodicals. I suspect it's a matter of perspective and how close you are to the magazine.

I was pretty annoyed by Logitech's "get naked for Xmas" and "peeing baby" ads and stopped recommeding their mouse and trackball products so I can certainly see your point.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 31st, 2001, 11:29 pm

Peeing Baby ads?
I really don't watch enough TV! :confused:
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Brian Morton

Postby Brian Morton » September 1st, 2001, 12:05 am

I responded to a specific question about a specific ad in a specific magazine. For doing so, I've been called prudish, uptight, and told to get a life. Honestly, I think that sort of response is more childish than the original advertisement itself.

You know, I recall that when I wrote my original message, I specifically said, "magicians" need to get a life. If _I_ took offense every time I considered myself to be part of an offended group when someone said something that was (allegedly) offensive, I probably wouldn't have time to do anything short of breathe. And maybe not even that.

But if I want to be specific, I don't look at GENII in the same general light as the 'Saturday Evening Post' or the 'New Yorker.' Why? (Sorry, Richard -- don't cut me off...) Because GENII is a magazine specifically geared toward a subset of a subset -- the entertainment community (subset) that is comprised of people that do magic (subset squared).

Within that group there are people who apparently feel that the standard should be at the level of the most pristine of the comics pages (and I have nothing against Charles M. Schultz), but there are also those who are fans of anything up to and including Penn & Teller, Amazing Johnathan, Gazzo and Otto & George (if you don't know -- I ain't telling you).

I'm sorry if Mr. Turner felt I specifically meant to insult him when I said "get a life," even though the fact is, I was casting a general net. The world is evolving around us, and Uncle Miltie humor in magic ads will consign the future of the art to the dustbin of entertainment history -- remember, kids are the ones the future of magic depends upon. And _they_ love Beavis and Butthead...

But, in the grand scheme of things, Denny is doing what he can to get your attention. Besides, that is, the lectures, the service, the fact that I can go there and hang and not even buy anything (which, sadder to say for my bank account, is rare).

I'm a 'young' guy. I don't recall the 'golden age' of magic stores. But I know what I've got when I see it, and I'm not throwing it away to buy cheap off the Internet.

But maybe Denny's next ad will be him smoking a cigar in drag talking about the "other" ads in magic magazines that use sexy women to sell close-up gaffs...

(Don't do it Denny! It'll hurt us more than it hurts you!)

brian :cool:

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » September 1st, 2001, 3:05 am

Originally posted by Richard Kaufman:
I've had a number of people call up and compliment Genii on its September issue. None of them mentioned the ad on the back. No who has made remarks (pro or con) about the ad on the back has said anything to me about the content of the actual issue.
Is there a point to be made here?
Am I just too tired?
ZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

One of us is too tired - I thought you started this thread, specifically asking us what we thought of the ad. As for the content of the magazine, I don't know...I can't get past the back cover!
:eek:

Luv ya Richard (and Genii!!!),
Dustin

Joe M. Turner

Postby Joe M. Turner » September 1st, 2001, 9:30 am

That certainly makes your position more understandable.
I was pretty annoyed by Logitech's "get naked for Xmas" and "peeing baby" ads and stopped recommeding their mouse and trackball products so I can certainly see your point.

Thanks, Bill. As I said, I can understand the positions of those who thought it was okay. I gave examples of times when I thought it would be okay, too. It all depends on where you personally place Genii in the scheme of things. MAD magazine? The New Yorker? People? Somewhere in between? I just like Genii (and Denny) so much that it is disappointing to see it resort to a Beavis & Butthead level of "humor," especially for the back cover.

RK -- As for the content of the magazine itself, I thought it was great as it has consistently been for the last couple of years. I did contribute a content idea to the Future Articles thread -- I'm not just trying to be wholly negative. But your question didn't ask for comments about the content of the magazine -- it specifically asked for feedback about the advertisement.

Finally -- as for Brian's "get a life" comment, I thought it was fairly clear that the "broad net" being cast was meant to include me and others who posted from my perspective. I don't think it was an unreasonable inferrence, in context. If it was incorrect, I apologize. Either way, I disagree that it makes a person "uptight" or that they need to "get a life" if they dislike boorish advertisements. I also disagree that a desire to see a magazine make classy choices somehow means that the person wants to see only dated "Uncle Milty" humor. Puh-leeze. This is not an either/or position. Just because I don't want to eat out of the dumpster doesn't mean I only want to eat Wonder Bread.

Best to all,
JMT

P.S. I'm 31 years old.

[ September 01, 2001: Message edited by: Joe M. Turner ]

Postby Guest » September 1st, 2001, 12:03 pm

I didn't get my issue until Thursday this week. As I brought the mail in, the magazine was at the back of the stack in my hand. All of a sudden, I heard the insane giggling of my 7 and 4 year old girls. I asked what they were laughing at, and my 4 year old said "that man's bottom is sticking out". Needless to say, I about fell over laughing (although my wife said that I shouldn't let my kids see the back of my magic mags anymore).
Rick :D

Andy Hurst

Postby Andy Hurst » September 1st, 2001, 4:27 pm

I told my wife to stop buying underwear from Victoria secrets. Their ads had women prancing around in nothing but bra and panties - whatever next.

I also thought the TRUTH ads with the smokers dead bodies was offensive, so I told my kids to start smoking.

Joe M. Turner

Postby Joe M. Turner » September 1st, 2001, 8:00 pm

Just to be clear, I didn't find the ad exactly "offensive," but I did find it inappropriate, unnecessary, crass, juvenile and bordering on vulgar -- all of which I personally consider less than desirable characteristics to be associated with anything in a fine, literate publication like Genii Magazine.

As long as we're dredging up adjectives, "irritating" is to find yourself mildly castigated or lampooned for answering a direct question honestly.

"Offensive" is a strong word which I don't think completely applies to anything regarding this situation. It is more suited for more extreme circumstances.

As an aside, I placed another order from Denny today. It's not like anyone has called for a boycott or anything, for heaven's sake. He understood my point, I understood his point, the end. I have never said it was my call to make; I've only answered the question honestly and am frankly surprised at the reaction that my response has generated.

Best,
JMT

Andy Hurst

Postby Andy Hurst » September 1st, 2001, 8:10 pm

I've only answered the question honestly and am frankly surprised at the reaction that my response has generated.

It sure has been surprising - but fun to discuss, debate and joke about all the same :-)

Respectfully,

Andy Hurst

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » September 1st, 2001, 9:53 pm

Originally posted by Richard Kaufman:
Peeing Baby ads?
I really don't watch enough TV! :confused:

Or read enough computer magazines...
About four or five years ago Logitech ran a series of ads for their egonomic mouse with the tag line "Feels good. Feels better." Their was a picture of a smiling male baby with a spout of urine arcing up in the air and one of the new mouse under the
"Feels better" tag. They ran in PC/Computing, PCMagazine, PCWorld etc. Not even considering the ethical issue of if a mouse can be made that prevents repetative stress injuries I found them offensive becase they used poor taste simply for the sake of poor taste. Sort of a visual "pull my finger".

Poor taste (liked Denny's ad) for the sake of making a point I can support...
If you're making an ad hominem argument (as Denny seems to be) about your competition then the more absurd the slander the better. People are less likely to think you're a jerk if it appears to be done in fun.

- bill

Ben Harris

Postby Ben Harris » September 1st, 2001, 11:23 pm

Hey Richard,

The Sept issue arrived here in Brisbane on August 29.

The Denny ad, is an example of what advertising is designed to do. That is, grab attention. I've not seen an ad discussed so feverishly for years. From that point of view, it is a good ad, it was noticed.

It's a pity that the "gist" of the ad is not being discussed as much as the graphic. Denny has a valid point.

Cheers

Ben Harris
Creator of the famous "Floating Match On Card" illusion.
WOWBOUND.COM - INSTANT DOWNLOADS

Joe M. Turner

Postby Joe M. Turner » September 2nd, 2001, 7:41 am

Ben:

Just to be clear, the ad itself did not generate this discussion. RK's question about it did. There is a difference.

JMT

Jon Racherbaumer

Postby Jon Racherbaumer » September 2nd, 2001, 1:18 pm

What absolutely intrigues me is that a topic regarding the "appropriateness" of an advertisement has so far generated 64 + responses on this Forum. Perhaps this supports the claim that certain subjects, particularly those that arouse a person's value system and aesthetic sensibility, are likely to "raise a whirlwind" of colliding and emotionally charged opinions?

Perhaps this is why magazines such as the New Yorker do NOT publish incendiary "copy" or controversial graphics because the fallout is not worth it. They tend to create distracting disturbances. Too much public "noise" may cause readers to veer away from other, more important kinds of discourse?

I like to read all kinds of magazines with radically different styles and types of content. However, even the New York Review of Books, Harper's, and the New Yorker freely and occasionally publish vulgarisms and expletives that once landed Lenny Bruce in jail. I think that Al Goldstein and Larry Flynnt would be amused at the outcries stimulated by an exposed "butt-crack"...

In any case, I'm delighted at the diversity of the postings on this Forum...even though more philosophical discussions are given short shrift.

Onward...

Joe M. Turner

Postby Joe M. Turner » September 2nd, 2001, 2:11 pm

Outcries? Overstated.

JMT

Michael Edwards

Postby Michael Edwards » September 2nd, 2001, 7:20 pm

For some reason a line from the 1967 version of Bedazzled comes to mind. As George Spiggott says, "There was a time when I used to get lots of ideas... I thought up the Seven Deadly Sins in one afternoon. The only thing I've come up with recently is advertising."
;)

[ September 02, 2001: Message edited by: Michael Edwards ]

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » September 3rd, 2001, 10:42 am

Originally posted by Jon Racherbaumer:
Perhaps this is why magazines such as the New Yorker do NOT publish incendiary "copy" or controversial graphics because the fallout is not worth it.

Huh? Check out the recent article on Edna St. Vincent Millay or the Art Spiegelman or R. Crumb covers, Jon.

Matt Field (New Yorker reader from New York)

Postby Guest » September 4th, 2001, 10:14 am

It is obvious that the Denny ad generated a lot of talk. However, besides the visual, can anyone tell me what the ad said WITHOUT going back and looking at it??? Maybe one in 5 people can do that.

While it may seem the ad does nothing to "sell" his products, it created buzz and people are checking it out. People who may not have normally done so.

If only one in 5 people call to buy something then it was a success.

Television sitcom pliots are based on the same principle. Create a buzz and people check it out and some stick around.

The folks at Denny's deserve a pat on the ------er back.

Rolando

[ September 04, 2001: Message edited by: Rolando Santos ]

[ September 04, 2001: Message edited by: Rolando Santos ]

Chris Bailey

Postby Chris Bailey » September 23rd, 2001, 1:51 am

Interesting topic. Advertisements pay the bills and sticking out over the competition makes money. If an ad makes 95% of the people laugh and buy products then it's a success. I've seen ads with innuendo in Time, Newsweek, People, US, etc...that were worse then this. I think a guys crack is funny and I know most people have made a remark about the plummer under your sink. I know I have. Denny is trying to sell his business and that ad is doing it for him. The ad is also doing it in a humorous way that I really don't think is all that rude. I know I've gotten busted showing crack before. I turned red in the face and laughed and made a plumber joke. When Nike Town opened in Orange County they had a Porky Pig banner up. Guess what? A group of stutterers picketed. Over PORKY PIG! The US has becoime so paranoid about being sued and about being politically correct that we can hardly laugh without looking over our shoulders to see if someone else can hear. I was talking to a friend the other day about the emmy award winning show All In The Family. It broke a lot of ground when it came out and tackled many social issues. Well guess what? You couldn't even put a show like that on TV now because it would piss too many people off! I appreciate opinions but it's my opinion that people need to relax and laugh a little more. With last weeks tragedy I think we could all use one or a hundred. :)

Postby Guest » October 4th, 2001, 12:56 pm

I liked the ad. It got your attention and made a point about internet magic dealers. If you were offended by it then you really need to lighten up.
Are you less offended by the MKMAGIC.com ad featuring a woman in a bustier and garters? What is that ad trying to say?

Ben S.

Return to “General”