Collector's Marketplace Google Concern

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
Ruben Padilla

Collector's Marketplace Google Concern

Postby Ruben Padilla » May 22nd, 2009, 6:42 pm

It's a lazy start of Memorial Day weekend, and I decided to Google myself (come on, you've all done it!) and I was a bit disconcerted to find a link to a post in January for a chop cup I was selling, and because of the Genii Forum rules that our name, address, email info and phone numbers must be listed in our posts, this information is now available to anyone on the planet with the desire to Google me.

I must admit that I've refrained from posting more items for sale on this portion of the Forum (as much as I like the other sections) because of these requirements, and now I'm more hesitant.

Is there way we can mark items as sold and then have them permanently deleted? I appreciate the ability to do a search on this site and see items that were sold years ago, but to have every seller's personal info including email and phone number come up on Google makes me wonder if anybody else is concerned.
Visit www.MagiciansOnly.com for exclusive book, trick, DVD, & convention reviews!

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Collector's Marketplace Google Concern

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 22nd, 2009, 8:39 pm

If you send me a link to the original page I can edit it. However, there are cached versions of the page that Google may find.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Tom Stone

Postby Tom Stone » May 23rd, 2009, 3:49 am

Richard Kaufman wrote:If you send me a link to the original page I can edit it. However, there are cached versions of the page that Google may find.

I guess you have a tech-person who set this forum up? Ask that person to add:
<meta name="googlebot" content="noarchive">
...to the pages in the marketplace area. I'm sure there are a UBB plug-in to make it easier, otherwise it's easy to write one.

Ref:
http://www.google.com/support/webmaster ... swer=35306

Ruben Padilla

Postby Ruben Padilla » May 23rd, 2009, 3:59 am

Richard, here's the link to the original page. Thanks.

http://www.geniimagazine.com/forums/ubb ... ber=184664
Visit www.MagiciansOnly.com for exclusive book, trick, DVD, & convention reviews!

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » May 27th, 2009, 4:06 pm

Tom Stone wrote:
Richard Kaufman wrote:If you send me a link to the original page I can edit it. However, there are cached versions of the page that Google may find.

I guess you have a tech-person who set this forum up? Ask that person to add:
<meta name="googlebot" content="noarchive">
...to the pages in the marketplace area. I'm sure there are a UBB plug-in to make it easier, otherwise it's easy to write one.

Ref:
http://www.google.com/support/webmaster ... swer=35306

I hope you don't do this. If, in five years, I want to Google "Paul Fox Cups", it would be a shame if the listings of them that had been sold here were invisible to Google.

Seriously, is it that big a deal if your personal contact info is available on Google?

Jim Maloney

Postby Jim Maloney » May 27th, 2009, 4:47 pm

Perhaps not to you, Bill, but some people prefer to not have such information publicly available (same reason people have unlisted phone numbers).

-Jim
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 10th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)

Terry

Postby Terry » May 27th, 2009, 5:28 pm

Jim Maloney wrote:Perhaps not to you, Bill, but some people prefer to not have such information publicly available (same reason people have unlisted phone numbers).

-Jim

Jim,

If your information is in the phone book, it is accessible by anywho, google, etc.

One of the "dark" sides of the electronic age is we no longer have control over what is published.

Dave Shepherd

Postby Dave Shepherd » May 27th, 2009, 5:42 pm

Terry wrote:
Jim Maloney wrote:Perhaps not to you, Bill, but some people prefer to not have such information publicly available (same reason people have unlisted phone numbers).

-Jim

Jim,

If your information is in the phone book, it is accessible by anywho, google, etc.

One of the "dark" sides of the electronic age is we no longer have control over what is published.

Yes, and that's why he alluded to an unlisted number.

An unlisted number is not in the phone book. The official name for it is an "unpublished" number.

Some people simply do not want to share every aspect of their lives with the world. Not everyone wants to twitter their life to the world. Although I'm not a purist about this, I completely understand. An individual should have the choice as to how much information is known about himself.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 27th, 2009, 7:49 pm

That's just the way it is. If you want to sell stuff here, you must post all of your information. If you don't want to post the information, then don't sell your stuff here. It's pretty simple.

Ruben Padilla

Postby Ruben Padilla » May 28th, 2009, 8:45 pm

Well, then, perhaps nobody is concerned about Google. And I will continue to sell here, despite my initial hesitation. It's not THAT upsetting. I was just wondering how others felt about it.

But how about going back in time to every listing in the Collector's Marketplace, and culling everybody's info for a highly qualified mailing list of magicians who might be interested in buying merchandise? Home addresses, emails, even phone numbers are available for the motivated magic marketer, free of charge!

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 28th, 2009, 10:37 pm

Using anywho.com, all of the identical information can be found for almost anyone in the United States.

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » May 28th, 2009, 11:32 pm

anywho.com seems kind of crap. Couldn't find my wife or myself and we're listed in the phone book!

zabasearch.com is what I tend to recommend for this sort of thing.

bluesparx1902

Postby bluesparx1902 » May 29th, 2009, 5:42 am

If you don't want Google indexing your contact info, use this forum's handy signature feature. In other words, put all your precious 411 into a graphic image and use that as your signature at the end of any marketplace postings. That way, you can keep Googlers and harvestbots outta your bidness. The Intercyberwebnets is scary enough without scamsters, crazy-ass exes, and sundry weirdos hot on your trail.

Free text-to-graphic conversion services like http://www.hidetext.net make things pretty simple. You enter your info, click "Hide it!", and then the webapp automagically converts it to an image. They'll even host the image via a BBCODE link. Plug that BBCODE into the "signature" field on your profile screen and you're all set to unload your Cheetos-stained D-Lites, Jay Sankey bobbleheads, or whatever the hell it is you plan to sell here.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » May 29th, 2009, 12:07 pm

bluesparx1902 wrote:If you don't want Google indexing your contact info, use this forum's handy signature feature. In other words, put all your precious 411 into a graphic image and use that as your signature at the end of any marketplace postings. That way, you can keep Googlers and harvestbots outta your bidness. The Intercyberwebnets is scary enough without scamsters, crazy-ass exes, and sundry weirdos hot on your trail.

Free text-to-graphic conversion services like http://www.hidetext.net make things pretty simple. You enter your info, click "Hide it!", and then the webapp automagically converts it to an image. They'll even host the image via a BBCODE link. Plug that BBCODE into the "signature" field on your profile screen and you're all set to unload your Cheetos-stained D-Lites, Jay Sankey bobbleheads, or whatever the hell it is you plan to sell here.

That presents problems too. If I view the Genii Forum at work, the internet gurus here block any content from hidetext.net as "proxy avoidance". If you link to a graphic image hosted at any of a number of places, it may be blocked as "Personal Network Storage and Backup".

bluesparx1902

Postby bluesparx1902 » May 29th, 2009, 5:31 pm

Bill Mullins wrote:
bluesparx1902 wrote:If you don't want Google indexing your contact info, use this forum's handy signature feature. In other words, put all your precious 411 into a graphic image and use that as your signature at the end of any marketplace postings. That way, you can keep Googlers and harvestbots outta your bidness. The Intercyberwebnets is scary enough without scamsters, crazy-ass exes, and sundry weirdos hot on your trail.

That presents problems too. If I view the Genii Forum at work, the internet gurus here block any content from hidetext.net as "proxy avoidance". If you link to a graphic image hosted at any of a number of places, it may be blocked as "Personal Network Storage and Backup".

Your geeks allow you to access the Genii Forum at work? How generous of them.

If this Websense proxy blocker thing is going to be a nuisance, I suggest that the Genii Forum host the signature images on its server. They're only about 2KB each so Genii's server load should be negligible. Perhaps if we ask Richard nicely, he'll make room for this as a courtesy to his Googlephobic sellers.

Ruben Padilla

Postby Ruben Padilla » May 29th, 2009, 7:50 pm

I'm not Googlephobic! I only have a phobia of being labled. What do you call that?

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » May 29th, 2009, 9:21 pm

Ruben Padilla wrote:I'm not Googlephobic! I only have a phobia of being labled. What do you call that?

Asking to be labeled.

Return to “General”