May Genii

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
JimAlfredson

May Genii

Postby JimAlfredson » April 16th, 2009, 7:45 pm

May issue arrived in this morning's post, and was greatly enjoyed this evening! A lot of fine stuff; dandy interviews with Michael Caine/Peter Harness/Scott Penrose, and hope to see the film. Gerald Schiller's piece on Harry Thurston brought to mind Jay Marshall's favorite H.T. story. Seems when Harry did Asrah, he had a habit of using both hands to press-down the cloth on the 'lady.' Somebody cautioned him about this as it appeared he was taking inappropriate liberties. Harry looked at the guy in puzzlement and said, "What the hell, it's only a wire form."
A lot of great Harry Thurston memories disappeared with the death of Vic Torsberg, Chicago magician, who worked off-and-on for him over the years--and not 'magically.' One is tempted to add for those who don't know, but one treads on thin ice when using George Boston as a source.
Another banner issue.

Jonathan Townsend

Re: May Genii

Postby Jonathan Townsend » April 16th, 2009, 9:19 pm

arrived in 10562 today. :)
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Roberto

Postby Roberto » April 17th, 2009, 12:46 am

Landed in the "Boogie Down Bronx" today!

gberard

Postby gberard » April 17th, 2009, 12:35 pm

Arrived in Roseville, CA yesterday - 4/16. However, the April issue has yet to show up. I'll probably be calling in on the 21st to call it a no show and request that one be sent my way.

Bill McFadden

Postby Bill McFadden » April 17th, 2009, 6:55 pm

The Maurice Micklewhite issue arrived today. Great interview, RK; couldn't help reading it straight away.

Magic Randy

Postby Magic Randy » April 17th, 2009, 7:00 pm

Arrived today - Los Angeles

Lee Almond

Postby Lee Almond » April 17th, 2009, 9:23 pm

Mine arrived 4/16/09 in Wichita. A great issue, really enjoyed the article on Harry Thurston. I love magic history! Keep it coming RK.

Richard Perrin

Postby Richard Perrin » April 18th, 2009, 3:02 am

Arrived 30813 yesterday! Thanks!

Tom Stone

Postby Tom Stone » April 24th, 2009, 12:37 am

Arrived yesterday (April 23) in Stockholm, Sweden.

Marco Pusterla

Postby Marco Pusterla » April 24th, 2009, 8:26 am

Still haven't received April issue...
Marco Pusterla - https://mpmagic.co.uk

Ye Olde Magic Mag: magazine on magic history and collecting.

Zig Zagger
Favorite Magician: Aldo Colombini

Postby Zig Zagger » April 24th, 2009, 4:37 pm

Arrived in Germany yesterday. Thank you!

Wondering whether there will be a strong "Return of the Card Duck" coming up on many stages soon...
Tricks, tips, news, interviews, musings and fun stuff: Have a look at our English-German magic blog! http://www.zzzauber.com
Advancing the art in magic one post at a time (yeah, right!)

Donal Chayce

Postby Donal Chayce » April 24th, 2009, 5:31 pm

This is an exceptionally good issue.

I particularly liked the interviews with Michael Caine, Peter Harness and Scott Penrose re: "Is Anybody There." I laughed out loud while reading about Scott's input regarding Caine's character's 80s-era velvet tuxedo. During the late 70s and early 80s I performed in a similar outfit: a gold crushed velvet tuxedo jacket with a black velvet vest and butterfly bow tie and a white ruffled shirt piped in black. And, like the outfit Scott referenced, I also had it tricked out with all sorts of special internal tailoring.

It was emblematic of men's fashion of that time...what were we thinking? :crazy:
The MacGician®

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » April 24th, 2009, 6:34 pm

GREAT ISSUE. I love the look on Caine's face on the cover. He's a genius actor.
Stay tooned.

Ray Banks

Postby Ray Banks » April 25th, 2009, 6:49 pm

The issue is great! BUT..referring to Richard's "Genii Speaks" column...I seem to remember Michael Caine in "The Prestige", not "The Illusionist". Both excellent films, none the less.
Pick a card....Any card....NO not THAT card..THIS one!

Ray Banks

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 25th, 2009, 9:00 pm

Ray, this is what I wrote:

"Most movies involving magicians as characters are poor. Film makers and screen writers rarely understand magic and they often have their magician-characters behave absurdly. The Illusionist, with Edward Norton (covered extensively in our October 2006 issue) is an exception. Nortons character Eisenheim is someone at the peak of his powers. At the opposite end of the spectrum is Michael Caines character Clarence in the new film Is Anybody There? Clarencea retired magicianis old, homeless, and at the end of the road."

I referred to The Illusionist as a movie that I felt was a good portrayal of magic and magicians. It had nothing to do with Michael Caine other than as a reference point--nothing to do with The Prestige, which I thought was an awful movie and a dumb portrayal of magicians.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Timothy Hyde

Postby Timothy Hyde » April 27th, 2009, 12:35 am

May Issue arrived Blue Mountains, Australia today.

A pity the April issue hasn't.
The Secret Notebooks of Mr Hyde - Vol 1 & 2 - http://www.MagicCoach.com

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 27th, 2009, 10:28 am

It's more than a pity: it's infuriating for me as well as you.

Don Hendrix

Postby Don Hendrix » April 27th, 2009, 10:48 pm

May finally arrived in Tucson today. Williams Magic had theirs last week. I usually get mine a week or so before they do. I really wish there was an alternative to the post office.

Favorite oxymoron: accordian virtuoso
Second: postal service

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 27th, 2009, 10:56 pm

Hey it's not even May 1 yet! :)

Ray Banks

Postby Ray Banks » April 28th, 2009, 11:12 am

Richard Kaufman wrote:Ray, this is what I wrote:

"Most movies involving magicians as characters are poor. Film makers and screen writers rarely understand magic and they often have their magician-characters behave absurdly. The Illusionist, with Edward Norton (covered extensively in our October 2006 issue) is an exception. Nortons character Eisenheim is someone at the peak of his powers. At the opposite end of the spectrum is Michael Caines character Clarence in the new film Is Anybody There? Clarencea retired magicianis old, homeless, and at the end of the road."

I referred to The Illusionist as a movie that I felt was a good portrayal of magic and magicians. It had nothing to do with Michael Caine other than as a reference point--nothing to do with The Prestige, which I thought was an awful movie and a dumb portrayal of magicians.

Yeah. I was re-reading it last night and realized what you had said. I said to myself, "Wow. It's a good thing I didn't post the the Genii forum." Oops!
Pick a card....Any card....NO not THAT card..THIS one!

Ray Banks

geo

Postby geo » May 6th, 2009, 5:20 am

Richard Kaufman wrote: The Prestige, which I thought was an awful movie and a dumb portrayal of magicians.

Richard, I really do not agree with you on this one. I thought The Prestige was a great film (although the original novel is even better). The angle of approach which the film took on magicians was, first and foremost, real. Not trying to be emo, not trying to take the girl friend back, and certainly not trying to overthrow a king, the magicians in The Prestige represents showmen who, with a primitive will, trying to better their acts at all cost (though it was a little dramatic).
I enjoyed it thoroughly, and Sir Michael Caine was just flawless playing the old 'ingenieur'.

Anw, I respect your view on the movies, and I for one thought The Illusionist was not bad a film too. But I just don't think The Prestige was "dumb" as you put it.
=]

George

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » May 6th, 2009, 5:42 am

I agree with Richard and the word I'd use is 'Silly'.

On the other hand, I've seen films that I thought were superb and, it seems, I was alone in my viewpoint.

Beauty is certainly in the eye of the beholder.

Return to “General”